PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with 82 virago

ddivs
06-22-2005, 08:21 PM
I recently bought a 1982 Virago 750 with 4,600 miles on it. And being recently new to the bike I figured I would ask for some other opinions. I got caught in a storm and something happened. I am guessing something got wet and ruined but I will tell you what happened. Was running fine for a good 20 miles then I lost some power not all just some. Could only get up to around 45 mph max and the bike would cut out every once inwhile and almost die then come back. Well it died so I pull over look everything over and then try to start it back up it starts fine and idles fine. But the same thing happens when trying to go down road. Well ends up dieing again about 5 miles later. After about another 20-30 minutes of sitting I manage to get it started again but once again dies. What could all be my problem? Thanks

FX
06-22-2005, 10:00 PM
That used to happen to me when I had an open type air cleaner on my sportster. It sucked in too much water. I had to hang my leg over it to get somewhere dry.

I dunno if that's the problem, but it sounds familiar.

ddivs
06-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Forgot to say before now when I go to start it, it will turn over like normal but never start at all. If that makes any difference.

ddivs
06-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Also where is the tool kit on a 82 750? I looked for one and could not find it for the life of me. Thanks

jimbear56
06-23-2005, 04:37 AM
I had a 81 Virago 750 and never experienced the problem you speak of. Mine would shut down one cylinder from time to time. Would be running fine then sometimes I would stop for few minuets some where and would not start on both cylinders, had to change plug and it would be fine again,normaly the rear cyl..It never cut out when running,just when starting. Seemed to me if I can remember right the Tool kit was under one of the side covers. Also had the float stick in the carb stick once let sitting road side. Lost power hard to start because of flooding condition,had to have carbs rebuilt. This was a very goo bike and I put about 40,00 miles on it and it was used when I got it, far as I know it still is on the road,swapped toward my Shadow ACE 5 years ago. Hope this helps JIM RIDE ON

ddivs
06-26-2005, 11:55 PM
I can get it started but it won't really stay running most of the time unless I am giving it a little bit of gas. When I took it for a short ride it wouldn't have much power at all, but then it will kick in and run normal for awhile and back and forth like this the whole time. What could be the problem a bad fuel filter or what?

jimbear56
06-27-2005, 10:25 PM
It may well be the fuel filter is plugged. I think they are a part of the petcock assembly if I remember right. Not big job to check. Have to pull the petcocks out of the tank ,drain tank out as much as possible then unscrew the petcocks from the bottom of tank. I installed a small lawn mower type filter in my lines between petcock's and carb's, just a little extra protection.
Did you find the tool kit? If I remember right it was located on the left side behind a small cover that opened with a coin or screwdriver. Hope this helps
JIM RIDE ON

ddivs
06-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Yup I found the tool kit. I can't even believed I missed it in the first place but o well. Tomorrow if I have the time I am going to check it out. lets hope thats the fix.

ddivs
06-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Well I get one problem fixed then theres another. The bike seems to be running fine now but every once in awhile when I got and slow down to stop in first gear the bike will die. Any suggestions?

ddivs
06-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Well another update. When I start it unless I give it gas the idle will just slowly slow down and then eventually die.

cmcdonald
07-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Hello guys I'm working on a 82 model Yamaha maxim 400. I took of all the wires to work on the frame and paint. When I pluged all the wires back in it want crank. The lights come on in the dash showing that there working but when I press the starter button nothing happens. I have fire going to everthing I checked it with a test light. I can make the motor turn over useing a jumper wire or screwdriver on the cyloniod. But the thats the only way. Also when I press the horn switch the horn want blow. Again I have fire going to the wires to the horn. But nothing happens. I really like this site. If yall can help me I would appreciate it. Looking forward to being on this site maybe I can help somebody someday.Thanks Chuck

FX
07-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Bad or missing relays?

R K Dragon
07-13-2005, 08:18 AM
You painted the frame right? If I read you correctly, you have power to these things but they just won't go! I'd check for a good ground along your handlebar switches and give them a small shot of wd40 through the button crack while you're at it! Hope that helps a little!

sideshow
10-23-2005, 02:38 PM
I have an 82 Maxim 400 that doing the same or similar...runs great when cool but once up to operating temp and around 30mph it gets a miss or something and this causes the bike to buck a bit. Also next to no top end power...slow to get to even 60mph. A mechanic bud of mine said they had an 84(?) Virago 750 that was doing the same thing and it turned out to be the ignition module. I am going to try and get one and change in my bike but it's getting cold up here in Canada and not too many good riding days left! I'll let you know...

LEWY
05-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi ddivs,
A question. This problem started when you got caught in bad weather. Does it always do it when conditions are wet? If so I may be able to help. I have a '91 Virago'. About a year ago my bike developed the same problem as yours. I thought water had seeped in so, over a period of time I changed HT leads, air filter (prime suspect), and plugs, still had the problem. When i stood back and had a good look at the bike I noticed that if you looked at the front mudguard it is in my opinion a little short. I reckoned that the spray coming off the road was going up to a box that you have below the headlight behind the top of the forks. You can see wires going into it. I fiited a large mudflap and Hey Presto, the problem stopped. I haven't had a single problem since, all for the sake of a 2.00 flap. This may not help, but if it does it could save you some cash.