PDA

View Full Version : XJ650 popping out of first and second

iczer
08-04-2005, 08:13 PM
I just bought a 81 XJ650 for cheap. Only problem with the bike is it pops out of first and second if i try to rev it at all. once it is in third though, It doesn't pop out at all through the rest of the gears. I have been told that this may be the shift forks being worn or bent. is there a way to do the shift forks on this bike without cracking the tranny/crankcase apart(seeing as how they are one peice)? Also, the manual says that the number one cause of it popping out of gear is the detent plunger spring(or torsion spring) on the shifter assembly being worn out, or broken. anyone had any experience with this? maybe on this bike too?

betabilly
08-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Thats bad, sorry to hear that. You will have to take the engine out and split the case for any transmission issue aside from the clutch.....Is the shifter returning to the center position? Theres a spring in there that might have broken, dont know if you can pull the shift rod out from the clutch side to check it out.

$$$$$$ Good reason to avoid a cheap deal on a bike that has bottom end issues. $$$$$$

iczer
08-04-2005, 10:22 PM
yeah, it is returning to center. but only in first and second. if i put load on the gear it pops into neutral. I haven't ever worked on a bike tranny, and was told shift forks are relatively easy to do. aparently I was told the wrong thing.

Rev Rob
08-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Well I just baught a XJ650 aswell. I dont know what is cheap but I paid $500 for it. I spent about another $200 on gear, rebuliding the brakes, having the engine sinked ect.

It has some rust. But I wanted a bike to learn on. I spilled some break fluid. Lost some paint but the finish was not perfect to beigin with ya know what I mean.

You can learn allot from this board. I have. But for allot of stuff you will have to find a competant mechanic. Especially if you are not one yourself like me.

84FLH
08-05-2005, 04:06 PM
yeah, it is returning to center. but only in first and second. if i put load on the gear it pops into neutral. I haven't ever worked on a bike tranny, and was told shift forks are relatively easy to do. aparently I was told the wrong thing.
Think of it this way, it a great opportunity to learn something, get a shop manual and go to town;)
I do all the work on my own bike and believe or not, I enjoy it.