PDA

View Full Version : 79 XF750 Special..timing/HELLO

3FORME
08-10-2005, 01:46 AM
Hello Everyone

Nice to find a new place to talk to guys about bikes.

I just got my 79 Yamaha 750 Specail about a month and a half ago, and when I purchased it the guy who had it before me did a pile of work to make good and road worthey.

My problem is, he said it burnt "some oil" and that he wasn't sure from where cause he did the valve seals and the compression seemed good. I used to be an auto mech., but my bike knowledge isn't the greatest unless it's an old single carb dirt bike.

The way it runs...when it's hot it's hard to start....it pops sometimes after being hot....idles is high when you come off the highway....all leads me to beleive that the timing is out of wack...but there is no points on this bike right? I'm sure it's just a cdi box and thats it? So if I'm wrong how do I tile the bike or what else do you guys think it could be.

Any ideas would be appreciated!! And great site!!

Tugs
08-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Welcome to the forum. I am not sure what the problem is but I am sure someone here will be able to help. There are a lot of riders with a lot of experiance with different types of bike.
Ride Safe.

FX
08-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Sounds like an ar leak caused by expansion from heat in the induction system on the high idle coming off the highway. But that's a guess.

FX
08-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Sounds like an ar leak caused by expansion from heat in the induction system on the high idle coming off the highway. But that's a guess.

3FORME
08-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Does anyone have a book for one of these 3 cyl bikes? I would love to know where the timimg marks should be or if what i moved the other night is even right.

What I did do didn't seem to change much..it is still really hard to start when it's warm...so i'm lost for now.

FX
08-19-2005, 07:26 PM
My searches find XS 750, not XF. Is that XS correct? It's not one I know at all off hand.