PDA

View Full Version : Clutch issues on an 82 750 Virago

Munncha
08-22-2005, 11:22 AM
This is a really weird issue, and i can't seem to figure out what is going on.

We replaced the stator on this bike, with the clutch working before. In doing this, my friend who feels the need to tighten everything tightened the clutch adjuster too far. After that, the clutch works, but not all the way. If you're pushing the bike in gear, you can't move it without the clutch, but it's still much more difficult to move with the clutch engaged than when it's in neutral. We had this problem when it was running before, and it was unable to shift out of neutral because of it. I'm stumped. We didn't mess with anything deep in the clutch, so i'm wary of disassembling that. It seems like a small issue, but we can't seem to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

FX
08-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Sounds like the plates got to hot and ceased. But that's a guess. Splitting the clutch again and inpecting it is a good idea. Maybe the plates warped and now being out of shape drag?

EDIT:
Now that I thought about that another minute. I'm not sure what I said makes sense. :D

Inspect it though.

Munncha
08-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Sounds like the plates got to hot and ceased. But that's a guess. Splitting the clutch again and inpecting it is a good idea. Maybe the plates warped and now being out of shape drag?

EDIT:
Now that I thought about that another minute. I'm not sure what I said makes sense. :D

Inspect it though.

I was under the impression that if it seized, then the clutch would be stuck either in or out, not this half way nonsense. The drag makes some sense...

i don't want to pull the clutch, but it i'm starting to agree that thats what needs to be done. I just can't really see how we could have damaged anything in the clutch just messing with the clutch adjuster.

FX
08-22-2005, 12:04 PM
If it was too tight and caused too much friction, the seperator plates would warp and the clutch would see engaged.

Munncha
08-22-2005, 12:07 PM
The only thing in the clutch we had access to was the push rod. If we pushed that too hard, could it warp something and create this drag?

If this is possible, it's probably the issue.

FX
08-22-2005, 12:14 PM
The rod adjusts the tension. Yes, absolutly!

bigwater
08-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Well, I'm still unsure if your problem is when the bike is running or when it is off. If you're having problems when it is off, then it the clutch plates are too tight. If it's a problem when it's running, then your rev limiter is out of adjustment.

Munncha
08-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Well, I'm still unsure if your problem is when the bike is running or when it is off. If you're having problems when it is off, then it the clutch plates are too tight. If it's a problem when it's running, then your rev limiter is out of adjustment.

What about both?

FX
08-22-2005, 12:57 PM
The last thing you serviced was the clutch and you are certain your help was too agressive. I know it's hard to admit, but sometimes we and our friends mess up. The problem is in the clutch for certain IMO.

Break it down and inspect it. You have no choice really, we can talk about it all day, but that solves nothing. You know it was over tourqed and I stand by my assessment. But again, I'm not there.

Munncha
08-22-2005, 01:09 PM
The last thing you serviced was the clutch and you are certain your help was too agressive. I know it's hard to admit, but sometimes we and our friends mess up. The problem is in the clutch for certain IMO.

Break it down and inspect it. You have no choice really, we can talk about it all day, but that solves nothing. You know it was over tourqed and I stand by my assessment. But again, I'm not there.

Yeah, thanks for the help. I just have to go into it and see what pushing the push rod too far did, and replace it. It makes the most sense.

FX
08-22-2005, 01:29 PM
You'll be fine. Good luck. Hard work always pays off.

Tugs
08-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Good Advice FX. The first thing to remember when a problem shows up after working on anything, is WHAT DID I TOUCH!!! Always stop, think then react.
Ride Safe.