PDA

View Full Version : Stopping to help

Pages : [1] 2

76 FXE
08-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Yesterday I had a problem with a wire on my bike.It quit running twice.No big deal ,I knew what it was and it was an easy fix.Trouble was I didn't have the right tools to get the seat off.First time it cut off I was on the side of the road for about 5 min when a woman came out of her house and asked If I was OK,I said no and she let me come into her yard and use whatever I could find I her workshed to fix the bike.Way cool I fixed it and gave her $10 she was happy and I was on my way.Then about 2 mi from my destination the same wire broke on the opposite end due to heating from the original break.This time there was no houses around.The thing I don't understand is at least ten bikes went by and not only didn't stop but honked and waved.I understand not stopping If you don't want to help but what is with the honking and waving?I hate to think is a kind of ridicule for not driving a factory bike.Finally a real biker with long gray hair and a gray beard,tats all over including his forehead,a vest with many years of pins and patches on it including a namvet patch stopped and asked what tools I needed then rode to a friends to get them.I got it fixed and thanked him. All he wanted was to help him one day if he needs.I will help him as well as any biker/motorcycle enthusiast I see on the side of the road,always have always will,to me its part of riding.I've been riding for more than 30 yrs. But due to circumstances I didn't ride for about 9 yrs and have been back on the road for the last six months.Maybe something new but can someone explain the honking and waving but not stopping...Eric

FX
08-28-2005, 09:17 AM
That's a shitty story, but glad it worked out.

I always stop and ask. If they want help I pull over, if they say no I ride on, but I ask.

Sad to hear people would drive by like that.

I'm gonna PM ya my phone number. :)

bigwater
08-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Perhaps they didn't realize you were broken down. Were you laying on your back under the bike cussing a blue streak?

Up here in the mountains people pull off the road just about anywhere to stretch their legs, smoke a cig, or just take a break. A wave and a honk is just courtesy unless you're on your back obviously trying to fix something, or unless you're jumping up and down waving your arms in the air begging for help.

This isn't the 70's any more, where every time you saw a Harley on the side of the road you knew it was a breakdown. Back then you didn't stop for breaks because you never knew if you could get the damn thing started again :)

FX
08-28-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm not shy, I get in the road and provoke other bikers to help me with some sort of signal. I don't carry tools.

JFN
08-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Perhaps they didn't realize you were broken down. Were you laying on your back under the bike cussing a blue streak?

Up here in the mountains people pull off the road just about anywhere to stretch their legs, smoke a cig, or just take a break. A wave and a honk is just courtesy unless you're on your back obviously trying to fix something, or unless you're jumping up and down waving your arms in the air begging for help.

This isn't the 70's any more, where every time you saw a Harley on the side of the road you knew it was a breakdown. Back then you didn't stop for breaks because you never knew if you could get the damn thing started again :)
I was about to post the same thing. :)
My wife and I were riding yesterday and we pulled over so she could put a heavier jacket on.
The peep's riding by may not have assumed you were having trouble and were just giving you a wave.

bigwater
08-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Two words. Cell Phone. If I'm riding solo, and I break down, I call one of the possy and the trailer will be arriving shortly. I don't carry tools either.

76 FXE
08-28-2005, 09:32 AM
I was trying to do what I could with the few tools I had.My pack was off the sissy bar and on the ground.People new I was broke down.I hate carrying a bag.I'm going to go to goodwill and look for a leather purse and if it ain't black I'll paint it black.I'll strap it on somewhere out of the way.I'm also going to redesign my seat mounting screws for quick release...

JFN
08-28-2005, 09:34 AM
I was trying to do what I could with the few tools I had.My pack was off the sissy bar and on the ground.People new I was broke down.I hate carrying a bag.I'm going to go to goodwill and look for a leather purse and if it ain't black I'll paint it black.I'll strap it on somewhere out of the way.I'm also going to redesign my seat mounting screws for quick release...
If people knew you were broken down then they were just a bunch of a@#holes. I'll always stop to help someone I know is having problems and I don't care what kind of bike their riding.

76 FXE
08-28-2005, 09:41 AM
"I call one of the posse "I have a cell but I need to find a posse ,Its been a while since I rode,Anyone interested in a number exchange I'm out by Webster and center hill I have tools and parts and a dry area to work on the bike.No trailer yet ,but I do have a pick-up and can borrow a trailer.I'll pm my number to those who want it.

FX
08-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Check your PM's. :)

bigwater
08-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Well I'm a long way from Florida, so I doubt I could be much help to you, or you to me. That's one of the good things about this board though... you run across riders in your general vicinity all the time.

76 FXE
08-28-2005, 10:40 AM
FX,Got it,thats what gave me the idea,thanks.You and your bro's are welcome to ride out here for a bar-b-que sometime...Eric. I like this website,easy going,cool dudes..Eric

bigwater
08-28-2005, 10:51 AM
I should have added that if you ever make it to N. GA, PM me and let's go for a ride.

darkgunnerds
09-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I ride a Goldwing so I always carry a tool kit.And when I see a fellow biker on the side of the road I always stop and ask if they need help (even if I am in a Car)

But where I come from (Connecticut) when a biker needs help they put down thier helmet on the road near thier bike on the road side. If no Helmet then something else.

flhri03
09-17-2005, 08:17 AM
we always, stop and ask. even if we're in the cage.

76 FXE
09-17-2005, 09:03 AM
I don't think people where passing by to be nasty,I think most of them didn't think about me needing help and waved to be friendly.Since I started riding again I can see some contrast in the way it was and the way it is.If we all continue to help those in need maybe the sentiment will spread.I carry tools and a bottle of water with me now...

JFN
09-17-2005, 09:18 AM
I don't think people where passing by to be nasty,I think most of them didn't think about me needing help and waved to be friendly.Since I started riding again I can see some contrast in the way it was and the way it is.If we all continue to help those in need maybe the sentiment will spread.I carry tools and a bottle of water with me now...
Great way to look at things. How we treat others is often a reflection of how others treat us. :)

HB
09-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Yea up here in Michigan my husband has rode either his Harleys or Triumphs for 30 yrs. He's noticed the change in bikers of the ones who offer help and the ones who don't. Alot of times the idiots that pass ya are R.U.B's and wouldn't know how to help if they tried. Hubby always has tools etc in his saddle bag and will always see if the bro needs help etc. He was broke down once and noticed like you 76 FXE that some just passed and waved even with his tools on the ground. Luckily he knows how to fix his bike since he chops his and makes it part of him. I know if I am out driving and see a bro needs help with something he can't fix or doesn't have the tools I can call hubby or a friend and they'll gladly come and help. But then we have alot of old school bikers in our town.

hogsteeth
11-01-2005, 07:08 PM
I always stop to ask. And we've pulled over for other reasons besides breakdowns and usually had a biker stop for us, too. But they have gaspoles all over, that's for sure. Best ever was a dude I stopped for once who was on the phone and just waved me off. No pausing in his phone call to at least say "thanks anyway". It takes all kinds.

Personally. I've always carried tools, but never a cell phone, although Nita has one. Too many areas of "no service". Last time I unrolled 'em was when Nita's throttle cable was hanging up. about 100 miles from home and the nearest friend. I guess I'd feel really stupid to have to phone a friend to bring me a screwdriver. Plus, they'd all tell me..."Ya mean Ya don't have a @#%@# screwdriver??!!" They'd still come, but I wouldn't live it down for a long time.
Bob

Spike
11-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Stop and help, plain and simple. Its the unwritten code that seems lost on some people these days, especially new riders and RUBs. A cellphone does come in handy with these types riding around...