PDA

View Full Version : 1100 custom

Iliketoys
09-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Got my first bike today over the weekend! It's a V Star 1100 Custom (red with flames paint scheme)

I'll be able to ride it legally soon too! :)

I getting my permit tomorrow, then the license after i complete the safety course.

Just wanted to say hi!

bigwater
09-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a sweet bike. Take it easy on her till you get used to it, and congrats on deciding to take the safety course. That's the smartest thing you can do as a new rider.

Iliketoys
09-20-2005, 04:43 PM
thanks for the welcome! I'm very excited about the bike... i convinced the wife to let me brave the urban streets in socal by showing her the obvious economic advantages of such a purchase.

basically, gas = $WTF!?!.00

anyway, I plan on riding year round and wanted to find out what you folks thought of riding in the rain. Is it a serious challenge? or not big deal if you dont mind getting wet?

also, besides a cover, what do you folks suggest for keeping the bike looking good - this will be kept outside.

oh and another thing, what devices do you guys recommend for anti-theft? I am on a budget and wanna get the best bang for my buck.

thanks!

bigwater
09-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Riding in the rain freaks me out. It's not that I hate getting wet, it's just from an accident I had when I was 14 yrs old. I was coming down a hill and into a curve in a pouring rain. I was inexperienced, and gave it too much rear brake. The bike went into a skid and slid out from under me and I crashed. Not a bad crash, didn't hurt me or the bike too badly, but hurt my psyche enough to make me uncomfortable in the rain.

Covers don't really work. I've got a buddy who has a beautiful customized Road King, and he keeps it on his front porch under a cover. His cat slips up under the cover and sleeps on his saddlebags. The cat has scratched the tops of the saddlebags up so bad that he's about ready to kill the cat. One day he came out and ripped the cover off, and a racoon was sitting on the seat. Covers will keep the rain off, but not the animals. At minimum get a cheap aluminum storage building from Home Depot to put the bike in... something you can at least put a padlock on.

My anti theft device is keeping the bikes locked up in a garage when I'm not riding. I don't leave them unlocked at a restaurant or bar, even for a few minutes, and I never ever leave them parked overnight anywhere. If I'm staying in a hotel, I ask for a first floor room and wheel the bike in the room with me. The V-Rod has an alarm system on it, but I never use it... I just pay attention and keep my eyes on my bikes. If I'm at a big event with tons of bikes around, I make sure to check on my bike every few minutes. I guess you could call my security system "paranoia". I haven't had one stolen or even messed with in 28 years, so I guess it works.

Iliketoys
09-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Ouch, glad you didnt get hurt!

I live in Long Beach area of Southern California so other than a few birds there really isnt much for wildlife around here. I'm also in an apartment complex so throwing up an aluminum building out front may get me evicted :) I guess ill just have to live with the cover and a couple of locks.

you guys have any cleaners you like best? anything i should know about cleaning a bike up? how to's or no no's. it's still shiney right now, but i wanna keep it that way!

bigwater
09-21-2005, 02:16 AM
Apartment complex huh? Buy a long vinyl coated titanium cable... about twice as big around as your thumb. Run it through both wheels and through part of the frame, then around a telephone pole or some other securely fixed pole. Put two heavy duty padlocks on the loops of the cable, preferably the kind that have shrouds around them so that you can't get bolt cutters on them. The thicker the cable is, the harder it will be to cut off... but a determined thief will get it off. If you only run it through a wheel and not the frame, you may come out one day to find just a wheel sitting in the parking lot. It only takes a couple of minutes to drop a wheel and load up the rest. If you don't secure it to a fixed object, it only takes a few beefy guys to pick the whole thing up and throw it in the back of a truck.

My V-Rod and my buddies Road King (the one his cat sleeps on) have factory installed alarm systems on them. If somebody tries to move the bike, it raises almighty hell. There may be some aftermarket alarm systems you can get. Somebody else will have to chime in on this because I'm not familiar with any aftermarket systems, or check with your dealer to see if there are any suggestions

If you have any mini storage facilities within a block or two of your complex, you could rent a small unit and use it as your garage. Park the bike there when you get back and walk home. Check with the rules before you rent one though, some of them don't allow the storage of motor vehicles because of the gasoline factor. Some of them have lots where people store motor homes and boats inside a chain link fence, so you could probably park the bike there, but you still want to secure it with a cable to keep the motor home owners or boat owners from stealing the bike.

Honestly, if I lived in an apartment complex and was forced to leave the bikes in an parking lot, I doubt if I would ever get a single minutes worth of sleep because I'd be so worried about somebody stealing them, and since I have two bikes, I'd worry my head off 24 hours a day about the one I wasn't riding.

Cleaners are a dime a dozen. If it's in the automotive department of your local super store, and it says "chrome cleaner" on the bottle... it'll work. Any normal automotive car wash detergent will work for the non chrome parts. I usually use a 1/4 cup of liquid Tide laundry detergent in a gallon of water to wash mine. DON'T use Armor All type products on your tires, or if you do, use it very sparingly and only on the sidewalls. It's amazing how slick that stuff can get and the last thing you want is to ease the clutch out and have the bike slip out from under you three feet into your ride.

Iliketoys
09-21-2005, 03:43 PM
hey thanks for the info! much appreciated.

tiny
09-27-2005, 06:14 PM
I woudn't recommend using laundry soap to wash anything with wax on it, its designed to cut, suspend, and remove grease. Guess what wax is made from?.... Unless you really do want to re-wax the bike after every wash, a large bottle of car wash don't cost that much and will usually last me about a year. I use a high quality paste wax on both my harleys every 3 to 4 months, and use the quick spray type wax after every wash, use one of those "dust mops" if its just dusty ( the bagger gets dusty from sitting, the chopper gets dirty from riding every day ) Just my 2-cents

Vstar man
09-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Well put Tiny....

bigwater
09-28-2005, 04:09 AM
tiny, we all have our own opinions. The very reason I use laundry detergent is because it DOES cut grease. It also cuts road grime, and it can be rinsed off easily. It takes five minutes to wax a motorcycle tank and fenders. I'd rather spend ten minutes washing the bike with a grease cutting product, and five minutes waxing it, than use a product that will take me 20 minutes to scrub the gunk off of it. I've also noticed that when using liquid tide, the bike tends to air dry with a lot less water spots on the chrome, therefore less polishing is necessary. Just my .02

bigwater
09-28-2005, 04:09 AM
BTW, welcome to the forum tiny!

Rhino
09-30-2005, 06:32 PM
I have an 1100 and I love it. She is balance so well and will go from 50 to 90 in the blink of an eye. I am running a pod system and HK big straights. You can also do a lot to this bike. If you put cams and port her, you can get 90 HP or better at the back wheel and only have to move 600lbs! Lean and mean.