PDA

View Full Version : '03 VStar 650 Classic shift problems

Pages : [1] 2 3

DrHexx
09-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Howdy y'all from the great state of Texas. Today it's approximately 105 in the shade and the ride home from work promises to be somewhat warm.

I primarily ride an '85 Honda Magna V65 but my better half rides an '03 VStar 650 Classic. I usually do the majority of maintenance on all my bikes myself (with the help of many more knowledgable riders) but don't know too many follks riding the Yamaha and even less that maintain them themselves.

Which brings me to the reason for the posting.

Lately the VStar seems to be experiencing a shift problem. The problem is getting into neutral when the bike is hot and at a complete stop. Just starting out cold is no problem, as long as I am moving neutral is no problem. As soon as I come to a complete stop it refuses to go to neutral.

Couple of background tidbits that may or may not be relevant. We picked up the bike with just under 1K on the clock. It currently has slightly over 8K. I've not changed the oil yet primarily because I refuse to pay stealer prices on something I should be able to do myself. So....get your admonishments out of the way cause I know it's way over due. :) (Side note: I faithfully change out the oil on both my Magna's about every 3-4K).

Anyway, I'm thinking that doing the oil change might just solve my problem but I've noticed that this bike has an inline oil filter (currently on order through bike bandit) and it is looking like I'll have to remove the exhaust to get to it? Is that a true statement? Stock exhaust.

I use Shell's Rotella-T 10W40 oil in my Magna's and am presuming to use the same in the Yamaha. Anyone out there that takes exception to this or has any other oil recommendations?

Thanks for any insights provided!

Regards,

Marc

Tugs
09-27-2005, 02:00 PM
I do not know anything about your bike but it sounds like the clutch is not disengaging all the way.
Good Luck, Tugs
Ride Safe

DrHexx
09-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Found the answer to the oil filter question here in past posts so please ignore that aspect of my post. (Sometimes I DO read the FAQ's. LOL)

bigwater
09-27-2005, 02:59 PM
If you hit the starter switch with the clutch lever pulled all the way in and the bike in first gear, do you get a minor tug forward? It doesn't have to be much, just a perceptable tug. If so, you need to tighten your clutch adjustment linkage until that disappears. Start out with 1/4 turn adjustment on the linkage and go from there until you feel no perceptable movement in the bike when you try to start it.

AND CHANGE YOUR OIL! JUST DAMN! 8000 miles without an oil change? Oil Doc is gonna spank you when he reads that.

bigwater
09-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Oh, and by the way, get ready for the inevitable discussion regarding dino oils vs. synthetics. Oil Doc is the master, and he'll tell you what to use... synthetic. I don't listen to him though, I use Harley spec oil in my bikes. Dead dinosaures baby, dead dinos.

3-4k is really too far to stretch oil in a bike. I change mine every 1-2k miles, just because I like to treat them right. With the high RPM's you run in a bike, oil breakdown is a lot more severe than it is in cars. I change the oil in my cages every 3k miles... and I try to make sure I don't go over half that number of miles in the bikes.

Just for perspective, we change the oil in the race bikes after *every* run down the track. That's 1/4 mile per oil change :)

Vstar man
09-27-2005, 07:03 PM
On the real hot and humid days my bike would do the same thing (Vstar 1100), my dealer asked when did I last change my oil? It had been around 3500 miles, so I changed it. The bike runs and shifts great, maybe the oil was broken down? I generally do the oil at around 4000, I guess I'll be doing it at 3000 now. It might be in my head but in the past I've felt that all my bikes shift better after an oil change...... Good Luck Kevin

Rhino
09-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Hello Katy!
You definitely need to be spanked with a wet noodle! Get that oil changed asap. You are running something the consistancy of water thru there! That's where I would start. I have a custom so I don't know if it is the same. I don't have to take off the exhaust on my custom. Not so with my 1100 tho. (I have a relo tho on that one.) Changing the oil is a snap...just be very careful with the aluminum bolts! If you need a great forum that will get you in touch with great people that know all there is to know, I can point you in the right direction. Rotella is a great oil and she will like it just like your hondas do. By the way, I live in Spring.

DrHexx
10-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi Rhino. Thanks for the response. Believe me, I've already had that wet noodle applied. LOL. I'm still waiting on the oil filter I ordered through Bike Bandit. I thought it might have arrived this weekend but it seems to have not yet been shipped. Guess it must not be a common item. In the meantime though I'm not riding her VStar and the wife rarely rides it anyway so it's sitting in the garage waiting on me to get it finished.

What forum are you talking about? I'm always on the lookout for places that can impact good information about any of my bikes.

I run in the Spring area quite often as I volunteer for CCEMS up in that neck of the woods. If you are ever out on Spring Stuebner around Hooks airport look for my big yellow Magna sitting out in front of the ambulance station a couple weekends a month.

I'm hoping to get her bike completed by mid-October as we are supposed to be going to a rally in Kerrville the weekend of the 20th I believe.

Anyway, thanks to all of you that took the time to yell at me, give me good insight, information and general tips on the VStar.

Marc.

Rhino
10-02-2005, 03:55 PM
No, it is a very common item. Forget Bike bandit. Try these guys. Yamahsportcenter out of Texarkana. Tony O's is great and they will get it to you real fast and their customer service can't be beat cancel your order and reorder from them. YOu won't be sorry. www.yamahasportcenter.com. The yamaha site is the 650 Custom, Classic & Dragstar site. I will get the exact web addy when I get out of this and send it. You can also find it by using dogpile or any search engine and type in the name I just gave you. Tell em Rhino sent you. They all know me there and they are the greatest bunch of people who will give you any and all the info you could possibly want for that bike.

Rhino
10-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Marc,
Here is the web addy. http://forums.delphiforums.com/sgmfa.
I do ride around the Hooks Airport area. Next time I swing by, I will look for the yellow Magna out there.
Later.

19gn87
10-02-2005, 04:34 PM
we are supposed to be going to a rally in Kerrville the weekend of the 20th I believe.
Marc.

Hey Marc,

Hi from a Texas "neighbor". We're only a couple hundred miles from each other. Can you expand on the Kerrville rally or give me a contact? We might make it and say hi...

DrHexx
10-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Good information Rhino, found both sites. I'll check them both out later but first, getting ready for the Santana concert this evening. I'll let you know how ordering and changing oil goes.

Feel free to stop by the station anytime. I think my next shift on the ambulance is the 15th. I'll be there from 7am Saturday to 7am Sunday.

DrHexx
10-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey Marc,

Hi from a Texas "neighbor". We're only a couple hundred miles from each other. Can you expand on the Kerrville rally or give me a contact? We might make it and say hi...

Go out to http://www.magnaownersoftexas.org/mootmag3flsh.htm for all the skinny. It's primarily for Magna owners but we'll welcome anyone that wants to hang out.

Marc.

betabilly
10-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Heh,heh, stealer or wider known as stealership. Just what the name implies!

19gn87
10-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Marc,

Thanks for the info. My V Star may be a bit intimidated around all those Magnas, but we may drop by and say hello. We live about 30 miles north and have a pretty active Star group in Kerrville. (meeting/group ride once a month). Tons of nice roads in our area. You guys planning to make it over to Luckenbach while here? (only 30 miles from Kerrville - 6 miles out of Fredericksburg) Also, Bandera is 25 miles, Garven Store (good biker stop - near YO Ranch) is 30 miles. One other thought...Lost Maples State Park is about 40 miles and the timing should be good. "Park contains the state's largest stand of bigtooth maples east of the Guadalupe Mountains. When conditions are right, the maple leaves put on a dazzling show of fall colors, attracting thousands of visitors to the park. Peak fall foliage viewing is during the last two weeks of October through the first two weeks of November."

Just be sure your "deer whistle" is in good working order. LOL
Thanks again for the link.

DrHexx
10-03-2005, 09:18 AM
My wife will have her VStar there and there will probably be a trike or two, several Wings, at least one Valkerie probably several and generally one or two Hardley riders. It's all good. We just go to have a great time and ride the hill country. I'm familiar with the majority of the places you mentioned. Last years event was based in Leakey so we got a chance to ride the triple 3's.

Feel free to stop by and meet our little group.

Marc.

DrHexx
10-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Try these guys. Yamahsportcenter out of Texarkana. Tony O's is great and they will get it to you real fast and their customer service can't be beat cancel your order and reorder from them. YOu won't be sorry.

I just got off the phone with them. Just as you told me. Very Friendly indeed and will have me the oil filter tomorrow or Wednesday. Even told me where that sucker is actually located. the only thing that strickes me as odd is I just checked the part number he gave me on their web site and on the site it costs $5.26 plus shipping. On the telephone he charged me 7.49 plus shipping. I'll have to call them back and see what the difference is.

Thanks for the tip on these guys Rhino.

Marc.

Rhino
10-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Hey, My pleasure. I have noticed things like that. It usually is enticement to order online. Quicker for them and doesn't tie up the line. Just an observation. May be a typo or something, but I have definitely run into it before. I tend to go online first anyway. I hate being on hold and waiting for people to search for stuff...altho' those guys are great to deal with.

DrHexx
10-03-2005, 02:44 PM
That makes sense Rhino. I would have done it online except I didn't know the part number so figured it would be quicker just to ask them. They were very quick, gave me the part number and I had it ordered in less than 5 minutes.

Marc.

Rhino
10-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Yep, those boys are good. I get all my yammie parts from them. Most of the time it takes less time to order from them than it does to make time to go to the stealer...besides, they never have anything anyway. They have to order, so it usually is faster overall. A big plus is, if it aint' right, they will make it right, pronto. Oh, and one other consideration. The stealer around town is much more expensive then Tony O's. You can't beat it all the way around.