PDA

View Full Version : which ones better?...

mycool307
05-09-2006, 12:41 PM
i'm looking to buy one of two bikes. any help or info would be greatly appreciated. the first choice is an '85 nighthawk S with 10,000 miles on it for $2000. the other choice is a new suzuki sv650 for $4700. obviously i'd like to save some money, but is the sv worth the additional $2700? i know the nighthawk s was a great bike, but it is 20 years old. any thoughts?? -thanks, Michael

bufordtpisser
05-09-2006, 12:55 PM
i'm looking to buy one of two bikes. any help or info would be greatly appreciated. the first choice is an '85 nighthawk S with 10,000 miles on it for $2000. the other choice is a new suzuki sv650 for $4700. obviously i'd like to save some money, but is the sv worth the additional $2700? i know the nighthawk s was a great bike, but it is 20 years old. any thoughts?? -thanks, Michael

In the process of saving some money, it may cost you more in the long run. With a new bike, you get a warranty. With a 20 year old bike, you get repair bills, or you fix it yourself.

With a new bike, you get updated technology and safety features that you definately will not get on a 20 year old bike.

If you can fix the old bike yourself,(or with the help of friends)if you have a ready and available source of parts, and you don't mind wrenching when your friends are riding, I would save the money and go for the old. If none of the above apply, go for the new bike.

bigwater
05-09-2006, 07:56 PM
You didn't indicate your riding skill. New or experienced? New riders ding bikes. It's an unwritten, but inevitable rule. Do you want to ding up a $2000 bike, or a $4700 bike, or are you experienced enough that you wouldn't have to worry as much about that?

bufordtpisser
05-09-2006, 08:03 PM
You didn't indicate your riding skill. New or experienced? New riders ding bikes. It's an unwritten, but inevitable rule. Do you want to ding up a $2000 bike, or a $4700 bike, or are you experienced enough that you wouldn't have to worry as much about that?

I overlooked that one, My Bad.

Dgrason
05-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Isn't Suzuki's SV650 the twin cylinder bike that looks like a Ducati? It's really hard to keep up with all these model numbers. If it is, I don't think it would be all that bad for a new guy but it IS a sport bike (a NAKED sport bike) and gets right with the program in the speed department. Riding position takes some getting used to. I mean, the handlebars are low and you prostrate yourself over the tank. Also, your passenger will be riding in the fetal position. ...NOT comfy at all.

If you want to ride crotch rockets and go really fast and do stoppies and wheelies and race all your friends on their crotch rockets then I'd say the Suzuki SV650 is an excellent platform to start and still not have so much insane performance that you get yourself in real trouble before you learn to ride well. Just don't get too overconfident too soon.

The Nighthawk though, is a better choice if you want to go longer distances, take a friend, just tool around and it still is a very sporty bike. I think this would be a better bike if you're trying to find a compromise that will cover more bases.

mycool307
05-10-2006, 08:51 AM
i had a bike a while ago. i'm not a newbie, but i will say i haven't ridden in almost 10 years. the seating positions are very similar.