PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an impossible bike design?

Wraith
05-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Hello everyone. I checked around and found a couple of forum questions like mine, but everyone's a little different, so I thought I'd ask exactly what I was looking for and see what I got back.

I am brand-spanking-new to the world of motorcycles: I've been thinking about it for a while, and I'm considering a first bike. Price is an overriding concern, unfortunately...I'd like something well under $5K, if possible.

I've always liked motorcycles that look like they came straight from the future, so I'm guessing that means more sleek plastic molding, rather than less. I'm torn between styles: I want something that's sleek like a sportbike, but I've heard that low-leaning racer's riding position gets to you on a long ride. I like the reports of comfort and typically better engines that cruisers/tourers offer, but I'm not particularly crazy about the profile of the upright riding position those bikes require you to use. To add even more confusion to the mix, a friend of mine pointed out that with the stuff I tend to lug around with me in my car, so I could use some cargo containers (probably the smaller plastic/molding kind, anything else wouldn't fit with my vision of the bike's design)...but that feature is something I may have to sacrifice.

So in short: A sleek, futuristic-looking bike that offers a comfortable hybrid between racer-riding and upright-riding position, and that optionally has some cargo space that fits well with the bikes design.

Does such a beast exist? Anyone have any suggetions?

bufordtpisser
05-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Hello everyone. I checked around and found a couple of forum questions like mine, but everyone's a little different, so I thought I'd ask exactly what I was looking for and see what I got back.

I am brand-spanking-new to the world of motorcycles: I've been thinking about it for a while, and I'm considering a first bike. Price is an overriding concern, unfortunately...I'd like something well under $5K, if possible.

I've always liked motorcycles that look like they came straight from the future, so I'm guessing that means more sleek plastic molding, rather than less. I'm torn between styles: I want something that's sleek like a sportbike, but I've heard that low-leaning racer's riding position gets to you on a long ride. I like the reports of comfort and typically better engines that cruisers/tourers offer, but I'm not particularly crazy about the profile of the upright riding position those bikes require you to use. To add even more confusion to the mix, a friend of mine pointed out that with the stuff I tend to lug around with me in my car, so I could use some cargo containers (probably the smaller plastic/molding kind, anything else wouldn't fit with my vision of the bike's design)...but that feature is something I may have to sacrifice.

So in short: A sleek, futuristic-looking bike that offers a comfortable hybrid between racer-riding and upright-riding position, and that optionally has some cargo space that fits well with the bikes design.

Does such a beast exist? Anyone have any suggetions?

Futuristic, sleek, fast, comfortable, and storage. And I have seen a few in my area in the past in the $3900 - $4400 range in good or better shape.

Wraith
05-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Futuristic, sleek, fast, comfortable, and storage. And I have seen a few in my area in the past in the $3900 - $4400 range in good or better shape.

You've got incredible timing...I just saw that bike!

I really appreciate the suggestion. :-) That's not quite the look I'm wanting. The cargo components look like an afterthought.

Someone else (offsite) mentioned the Yamaha FJR1300AE. I'm betting that's WAAAY out of my price range, and I have to look a bit more closely to figure out the riding profile (low/racer or upright)...but the look is pretty close!

Thanks again Buford. :-) Any other suggestions, anyone?

FX
05-23-2006, 02:57 PM
I dunno nuttin about scooters, but I know I saw that one on the street. I'm pretty sure it's a scooter, not a full on motorcycle. So there may be more compromise necessary to get a cheap bagger.

But for practical purposes, that may be the way to go.

Airborne
05-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Ninja 250 for only $2999.00 brand spankin new or for a few dollars more go with the 500.

Wraith
05-24-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm starting to agree with you on the Ninja 250, Airborne...particularly since it's been mentioned many, many times as a good first bike. I've been doing some reading, and it has been frequently said that you buy your first bike with the understanding that it's exactly that: your first bike, and not your last. So, best to start small first. ;-D

Anyways I've heard some people love their Ninja 250's so much, they don't part with them even when they upgrade. If only you could find cargo holders to go with it...it doesn't look like it can have any added on...

I'll almost definitely have to get mine used. I already have a car note and I don't need a bike note on top of that. I've been looking around, but it's kind of hard to judge: Any ideas on how much a used one would generally run for?

bufordtpisser
05-24-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm starting to agree with you on the Ninja 250, Airborne...particularly since it's been mentioned many, many times as a good first bike. I've been doing some reading, and it has been frequently said that you buy your first bike with the understanding that it's exactly that: your first bike, and not your last. So, best to start small first. ;-D

Anyways I've heard some people love their Ninja 250's so much, they don't part with them even when they upgrade. If only you could find cargo holders to go with it...it doesn't look like it can have any added on...

I'll almost definitely have to get mine used. I already have a car note and I don't need a bike note on top of that. I've been looking around, but it's kind of hard to judge: Any ideas on how much a used one would generally run for?

If you put much more than a tank bag on a Ninja 250, you have to use your feet skateboard style to get up hills.

Not really, thye are a little anemic in the power department for me, but they are definately faster than I thought they would be. The Kawasaki EX 500 is another nice starter bike if you are a little larger framed than the little Ninja can handle. And they both go for around the same price. An ex-girlfriends daughter had a 250 Ninja and she only paid around $2000.00 with about 1700 miles on the clock.