PDA

View Full Version : proper oil temp?

Attilio
08-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Anyone out there know what the proper safe range for oil temp is. I have an Evo running SYN3. Thanks

jman
08-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Just my opinion but I think oil temp gauges on harleys are designed to scare the be-jeebers out of the owner...
oil volume is the key, harley oil pumps are by design high volume as opposed to high pressure,
you're oil temp will be commensurate with the ambient air temp.
If oil temp is a concern, Lockhart sells a "temp regulated" oil cooler. I've had one on my 84.5 F.X.R.S. sinceI bought it in 87.

the only overheating issue that I can ever recall was in Daytona several years ago, traffic was legendary, my partner "chainsaw" s bike quit running and in the process of getting him going my clutch overheated an started slipping,

Chainsaw if you get to see this post our thoughts an prayers are with ya brother...
btw can you say " kill switch" lol

Springerick
08-13-2004, 04:29 PM
An evo at road speeds takes up to 10 miles to get up to temp .
My evo spits an sputters when its cold .And Daytona traffic sucks!
Daytona sucks cancel bike week start it somewhere diffrent. Opps
I sliped. Chainsaws memory will live on.

jman
08-14-2004, 11:51 AM
FYI Chainsaw isn't dead...

BClem
02-26-2005, 07:42 AM
To answer with figures noted with a Harley Davidson dip stick digital temperature sensor:
Normal highway running - 80 degree day - 190 to 215
Hard running - same day - 215 to 230
Hot day in traffic-long idles in traffic - 95 degree days - 235 to 255 ( avoid high oil temperatures - oil cooler needed)

The excessive high temperatures will break down the additives contained in the oil formulation. Specific additives, while adding to the high temperature performance of the oil will break down and become totally ineffective. One such additive is 'anti-frothing' without which, the oil has the appearance of boiling and loses most of the surface sticking ability leaving surfaces such as gear teeth devoid of proper oil film. The engine oil (especially) should be changed if a high temperature is reached in excess of 300 - 325 degrees (contrary to most manufacturers recommendations - the oil is OK but the additives are gone). The ideal situation is to change the oil that has overheated during its cool-down before it becomes cold. Any burnt additives will not have time to solidify and deposit themselves onto surfaces as tar.

Thanks,
BClem