PDA

View Full Version : Went to the local Harley dealer last weekend

Pete
09-28-2006, 07:55 PM
They had an open house. My Boy spied a raffle box so he said we needed to enter. Well they called today and we won a Lojack for my new Ultra. Yipeeee! I thought until they told me installation is $165 and I HAD to have them install it or pass it on to the next winner.

Part of me wants to tell them to jam it up their ass, part of me says pay the damn money and take their part.

Decisions decisions.

If I turn it down I know it will piss off the raffle gods and I will never win another thing.

FX
09-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Are these "conditions" on your ticket stub?

If not you have grounds to put this stealer in their place. ;)

Pete
09-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Are these "conditions" on your ticket stub?

If not you have grounds to put this stealer in their place. ;)
There was no stub, a box with a slit, a pad of entry forms. Filled it out and dropped it in the box. I am sure they had the "official rules" posted on a post-it note somewhere around the table.

I was looking at the Lojack site and it is customary for the owner NOT to see where the thing is hidden on the bike when it is installed by a dealer so I can see having it installed.

But if you are going to raffle something off why the hell not make it a real deal and raffle a Lojack with installation? I dunno, maybe I am just being an asshole and looking a gift horse in the mouth but it just seems to me that raffling off a $250 accesory so they can turn around and recoup the cost by whacking you for $160 mandatory installation. Kinda takes away the "Hey cool" feeling when you find out the "free prize" you won is going to cost $160.

I suppose I could go and make an ass of myself and argue with them but the next closest dealer is 80 miles away and I don't want to have to make that trip for service if I piss them off.

southplatte
09-29-2006, 12:20 AM
I think that falls under their idea of "fine print=hidden cost" agenda. Probably a good deal either way though, but I would still be mad as a hornet.

FX
09-29-2006, 04:30 AM
I would really like to call them and ask for a copy of the contest rules so our membership could see them.

This reaks of scam to me.

thebighop
09-29-2006, 10:10 AM
I am gonna lay a bet here...
The reason Lojack prefers you have the "customary" installation in an unknown location on the bike is a dealer kickback to carry their device.
If they insist on that kind of gimic, the dealer makes a better profit on the sale, Lojack makes a sale, and you come away thinking it's a real slick secure thing, because even you don't know where it's at, so how could anyone except the installer thwart the device and steal the bike without getting caught? Besides, what difference would it make if YOU knew where it was hidden, as long as you don't tell anyone?
Don't get me wrong. I have seen Lojack perform, and they do work. And what better than to catch the sombithch that swipes your scooter?
I would rather get the bike back before it's parted out and catch the thief too, rather than find your fenders and exhaust at the next swap meet you go to.
Spend the $165, and rest assured that your bike is as safe as it would be in your living room.

FX
09-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Hey, I just had a thought. Do these require a monthy subscription too?

Like house alarms that are free but you have to have a 3 years 50$ a month contract to get it free?

I wonder how many people "won". It seems like this may be like the "win a free weekend in daytona" scam. But ya have to submit to a high pressure sales pitch for a timeshare and everyone that enters "wins".

Just putting out thoughts. hehe

bufordtpisser
09-29-2006, 11:12 AM
LOJACK KEEPS IT CLOSE

More than ninety percent (90%) of all stolen vehicles equipped with the LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System have been recovered, many within a few hours. Due to the record of quick recoveries with LoJack, many insurance companies offer discounts on comprehensive fire, theft, and vandalism premiums for vehicles with LoJack.

This may be good enough reason to get it.

FX
09-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Was that a paid advertisment?:feedback:

bufordtpisser
09-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Was that a paid advertisment?:feedback:

just general information from the site to help him determine whether or not to pay for the install. If it saves a substantial amount off of his insurance burden, then it may very well be worth it. There are still many areas that are not covered by LoJack, and that may be another factor. Just trying to give enough information for him to make an informed decision.

FX
09-29-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm just busting your chops man. Good info there.