PDA

View Full Version : Billy Lane Named Defendant in Auto Negligence Suit

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

FX
10-04-2006, 07:33 PM
-On October 2, 2006 Billy Lane of Choppers Inc. and Daimlerchrysler Corporation (Dodge) were named as defendants in an auto negligence lawsuit filed by Gerald Morelock's Mother and his Estate in the Brevard County Florida Civil Court. Gerald Morelock was killed while riding his motorcycle when Billy Lane, allegedly drunk and driving on a suspended license, crossed a double yellow line to pass two cars on a stretch of highway A1A in Melbourne Florida on September 4, 2006.

The civil suit was filed by Attorney S. Sammy Cacciatore of the Law Firm Nance, Cacciatore, Hamilton, Barger, Nance & Cacciatore and has been docketed to be heard by His Honor John Dean Moxley Jr. in the Brevard County Florida Civil Court. Cacciatore's firm was founded in 1963 and specializes in personal injury and wrongful death cases.

Details of the lawsuit were not available at the time of this article. We will attempt to get copies of the original filing if that is possible.

jrbooe
10-04-2006, 07:42 PM
You know, I hate to see Dodge become involved in this lawsuit. Now more big money will be thrown in to help Billy Lane out. The truck he was driving was a new 2006 Dodge as they were one of his sponsors. It is my understanding they provided him two different trucks to drive. However, it was not Daimler/Dodge's fault that Billy Lane was driving their product while allegedly being intoxicated. I am just afraid, however, that Daimler's attorneys will find some loophole that Billy Lane can jump through.

FX
10-04-2006, 07:44 PM
I bet they settle to keep the bad press from hurting them.

bigwater
10-04-2006, 07:53 PM
I doubt that there's much grounds for a suit against Daimler. It'll be just like every other high profile case where there was a sponsorship of a fucked up individual... the sponsor will drop him like a hot potato and nothing will ever be heard of a suit against Daimler agian.

Adding Daimler to the suit is just a way of getting some (much welcomed IMO) publicity in the case... to throw a big name out there for the 99% of the people who don't know Billy Lane from Adam's off ox.

jrbooe
10-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Well for the family of Mr. Morelock's sake, I hope this now gives this case more attention in the press so people can see what a jackoff Billy Lane is.

FX
10-04-2006, 07:57 PM
I doubt that there's much grounds for a suit against Daimler. It'll be just like every other high profile case where there was a sponsorship of a fucked up individual... the sponsor will drop him like a hot potato and nothing will ever be heard of a suit against Daimler agian.

Adding Daimler to the suit is just a way of getting some (much welcomed IMO) publicity in the case... to throw a big name out there for the 99% of the people who don't know Billy Lane from Adam's off ox.

Actually, the vehicle was owned and insured by them I believe. Huge corps like that are usually self insured too.

This could be a problem for Dodge. I still suspect they will settle.

jrbooe
10-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Well, I hope they do settle and leave
Billy swinging

aja
10-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Well, I hope they do settle and leave
Billy swinging

That's what I'm hoping for in this case.

FX
10-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Here are the Billy Lane Civil suit (http://webinfo4.brevardclerk.us/facts/d_caseno.cfm?CaseNumber=05-2006-CA-058089-XXXX-XX) details from the Bevard County Florida Court records online.

jrbooe
10-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Hey, looking at his Florida driving record he definitely has not been a model citizen or an icon of virtue

bigwater
10-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Here are the Billy Lane Civil suit (http://webinfo4.brevardclerk.us/facts/d_caseno.cfm?CaseNumber=05-2006-CA-058089-XXXX-XX) details from the Bevard County Florida Court records online.
Here's what I got when I clicked your link FX:

"Error Occurred While Processing Request
Error Diagnostic Information
Request canceled or ignored by serverServer busy or unable to fulfill request. The server is unable to fulfill your request due to extremely high traffic or an unexpected internal error. Please attempt your request again (if you are repeatedly unsuccessful you should notify the site administrator). (Location Code: 26)"

Hmmm... I guess this case must be garnering a bunch of attention. Wonder how much of it is coming from here?

jrbooe
10-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Big, just keep clicking, the server was busy. The link works

aja
10-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Here's what I got when I clicked your link FX:

"Error Occurred While Processing Request
Error Diagnostic Information
Request canceled or ignored by serverServer busy or unable to fulfill request. The server is unable to fulfill your request due to extremely high traffic or an unexpected internal error. Please attempt your request again (if you are repeatedly unsuccessful you should notify the site administrator). (Location Code: 26)"

Hmmm... I guess this case must be garnering a bunch of attention. Wonder how much of it is coming from here?

I was just about to say that I was having a problem myself.

jrbooe
10-04-2006, 08:11 PM
I saw two vehicle license violations in that batch, saw 15 to 19 over the posted speed limit and of course manslaughter as well as various other things suck as reckless endangerment.

FX
10-04-2006, 08:11 PM
The link works. I think those of us that linked to it are causing the website to choke as JR said.

bigwater
10-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Oh, I don't doubt it works. My point was, I wonder how much of the overburden of their site is due to this board.

As of the time I'm writing this, we have 5 members and 196 guests online... most likely all of them trying to hit this link at the same time.

FX, you're killing the internet dude!

jrbooe
10-04-2006, 08:23 PM
You internet murderer

Pete
10-04-2006, 10:29 PM
And thus it begins. The end of Billy Lane. I called it early in the other thread that it was just a matter of days before the Morelock familiy started legal proceedings to be the new owners of a chopper shop.

Chrysler was no doubt named in the suit because they have deep pockets and in the US our tort system is "Strict liability" and juries are notoriously stupid. IF it goes to trial, the Morelocks attorney knows he has at least 50-50 chance at a jury feeling sorry for the Morelocks and awarding a huge sum from Chrysler as damages because "Chrysler can afford it". Also as someone pointed out Chrysler may actually own the truck, to wit they are now a party to the wrongful death by Lane being their "agent".

Chrysler will no doubt settle their portion because as FX said large companies typically self insure. I sincerely doubt they will throw any cash or effort into Lane's legal defense because frankly it is not defendable and they know it.

So it will boil down to Lane's insurance company and the Morelocks. They will no doubt try like hell to settle because they do not want to face a jury either.

gurochuck
10-04-2006, 10:44 PM
I have to pretty much be in agreement w/ all of you so far. Daimlerchrysler's involvement in this whole situation doesn't seem to be anything more than a smoke screen. The system sure knows how to insult a person's intelligence.

Pete
10-04-2006, 10:49 PM
I have to pretty much be in agreement w/ all of you so far. Daimlerchrysler's involvement in this whole situation doesn't seem to be anything more than a smoke screen. The system sure knows how to insult a person's intelligence.
It has the potential to be a very expensive smoke screen. Courts being the way they are in tort cases I don't see Chrysler being excused from the suit.