PDA

View Full Version : Fully charged dead battery

c.crawford
11-02-2006, 07:46 PM
The battery just lays on the float charger. It will self discharge in less than a weeks time. With the ignition (headlamp) on it drops to 11.4V fast. It can still turn the starter. With the weather getting bad, rain and 40°F highs, it is going to have trouble starting normally first try. It will probably quit at a stop light. It is almost too late in the season for a new battery and too soon to winterize. There has got to be a few good riding days left, but is it worth a new battery? It is inevitible. By the time I have the cash, it will be December. By the time I have the cash again it will be February. It will be good and dead by then.

jrbooe
11-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Ccrawford, if you have to winterize I wouldn't waste the money on a battery until you pull the old girl out after the weather breaks. If you feel safe in riding it without the battery letting you down for the next few weeks, go ahead and ride it.

thebighop
11-03-2006, 02:21 PM
If it isn't a sealed battery....make sure all of the cells are full....use distilled water to fill them....oh hell, for no longer than you have left this season...just use warm tap water..the softer the better

bufordtpisser
11-03-2006, 02:28 PM
If it isn't a sealed battery....make sure all of the cells are full....use distilled water to fill them....oh hell, for no longer than you have left this season...just use warm tap water..the softer the better

Is to drop an aspirin in each of the cells. Just a plain old bayer aspirin, not the childrens or coated type. It is said to alleviate some of the plate coating and allow you little more life out of the battery. I have done it, and it has worked on some and not on others. Worth a shot.

bigwater
11-03-2006, 06:57 PM
well, the asprin thing works, but only very briefly. The reason batteries get to where they won't hold a charge is that the oxidation of the lead plates creates small particles that fall to the bottom of the battery, effectively shorting out the plates. The asprin will clean the plates somewhat, which contributes to the ability to acquire and hold a charge, but the stuff that the asprin cleans off falls to the bottom in the form of oxidized sludge and further shorts the battery plates, so the gain is negligible if the battery is in really bad shape.

If you have the ability to handle an environmental disaster, you can recover a dead battery for a reasonable amount of time... generally about one third to half of it's original useful life by dumping the electrolyte, filling it with a small amount of water... about 1/3 full, shaking the hell out of it to loosen the sludge in the bottom, pouring that out, mixing up a baking soda/water solution and pouring it into the battery, let it sit, shake it up, pour it out, put new electrolyte in it, and finally throw it on a trickle charger for a couple of days.

Like I said, it's a mess, and the stuff you take out of the battery at every step has to be handled properly and disposed of in compliance with normal environmental concerns.

But you will get some extra life out of the battery :P

jrbooe
11-04-2006, 05:27 AM
I used to increase battery life with baking soda and water then adding more electrolyte to them.

FX
11-04-2006, 02:20 PM
I used to increase battery life with baking soda and water then adding more electrolyte to them.

Baking soda neutralizes acid. :confused:

jrbooe
11-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Baking soda neutralizes acid. :confused:
Dumbass, you clean the plates with baking soda then run water thriough them and add eloctrolyte. Maybe I should have been more succinct

bigwater
11-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I left that step out of my how-to up there also. After putting the baking soda solution in and shaking it up... rinse it a couple of times with clear water before adding electrolyte. I guess I just assumed nobody would be stupid enough to *not* rinse it... DOH.

jrbooe
11-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Yes but as you can see, FX had to correct us.

bufordtpisser
11-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Yes but as you can see, FX had to correct us.

Ever seen the warnings that they put on the packages of Urinal cakes. People have to be saved from themselves all of the time.

jrbooe
11-05-2006, 07:26 PM
True

c.crawford
11-05-2006, 07:29 PM
There is a guy in Indiana that does that for a living. I have two or three junk batteries I can take him. He sells a reconditioned battery for $5.

bigwater
11-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Sounds like you've solved the problem then crawford. Five bucks for electricity to ride for the rest of the year. Go for it.

squid 841
11-05-2006, 09:34 PM
I had an instructor in Air Craft Mech. school tell the story about how he told his up-stairs neighbor the same thing. Dump the acid, flush the batt. out, and then refill it with new acid. The neighbor did it in his bath tub. The acid ate through the drain pipe of the tub, and caused the Apartment below (my instructors) to have the ceiling re-plastered.

Dave R.:moped:

jrbooe
11-06-2006, 06:18 AM
For $5.00 I'd do the deal.

Oil Doc
11-29-2006, 09:18 PM
That process does work on most batteries if they are not to bad as to where the plates are shorted out.

What bigwater is referring to is called sulfation of the plates.

Also, be careful cranking with a low battery. Low Voltage by as little as 1 volt causes starter damage. May not be noticeable but it is happening and shortens the life of the starter.

I use to sell diesel parts and truck electrical. I kind of cut my own throat in a way with some of my accounts but made it up by gaining their trust. I told them every time a truck is in for ANYTHING, put the battery charger on BEFORE anything is done to the truck. Cut their alternator and starter use by 50%.