PDA

View Full Version : V Star 650 problem

Pages : [1] 2 3

GBrooks
01-05-2007, 11:43 AM
I am new to this forum.

I have a question that I hope someone here can answer for me instead of me taking the bike to the shop.

I have a 2002 V Star 650 Classic. Bought it for my wife so she could learn to ride. It does not get ridden regularly, but it does get started at least every week and ridden around the neighborhood a few times to keep the juices flowing. Recently I went to start it up using the choke due to the cold weather hard starts and it starts no problem. When I push the choke in, it will stay started for a little, but will die. With the time that it is running with choke off, if I go to rev it a little it will die. I do not rev the motor while the choke is on, but I do let it run a little before I turn the choke off.

I have changed spark plugs and it does the same thing. With it not having a tach I do not know the idle rpm so I am not sure if my kids may have turned the idle knob or not. Even if they did, I do not know how it should be set.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GB

bufordtpisser
01-05-2007, 11:52 AM
I am new to this forum.

I have a question that I hope someone here can answer for me instead of me taking the bike to the shop.

I have a 2002 V Star 650 Classic. Bought it for my wife so she could learn to ride. It does not get ridden regularly, but it does get started at least every week and ridden around the neighborhood a few times to keep the juices flowing. Recently I went to start it up using the choke due to the cold weather hard starts and it starts no problem. When I push the choke in, it will stay started for a little, but will die. With the time that it is running with choke off, if I go to rev it a little it will die. I do not rev the motor while the choke is on, but I do let it run a little before I turn the choke off.

I have changed spark plugs and it does the same thing. With it not having a tach I do not know the idle rpm so I am not sure if my kids may have turned the idle knob or not. Even if they did, I do not know how it should be set.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GB

It sounds as if you are not letting it warm up quite long enough. V-Stars are known for being cold blooded. They do need a little more time to warm up before they are ready to be ridden in cold weather.

GBrooks
01-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I will try that, but how long is long enough? I have been told that if you leave the bike running with choke on for too long you will foul the plugs. I never had problems like this before. It ran fine about a month ago.

Thanks,
GB

bufordtpisser
01-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I will try that, but how long is long enough? I have been told that if you leave the bike running with choke on for too long you will foul the plugs. I never had problems like this before. It ran fine about a month ago.

Thanks,
GB

but each bike is an individual. What works to start one, will not work on a seemingly identical bike. Only you can answer the question as to how long is long enough. The best way that I found to tell when the bike was ready was to push in the choke and see if it will rev without stumbling. Find your starting routine and stick to it.

bigwater
01-05-2007, 02:11 PM
You don't want to leave the enricher out until you can hear the thing scream from across the county... you need to pay attention to it and adjust it slowly. As the rpms increase, ease it in just a tad. DON'T just crank the bike and go sit in front of the TV for an hour. You'll end up with worse problems than fouled plugs. Ease it in a tad, as the RPM's go up, ease it in a tad more. Keep doing that until the bike is running strong and the enricher is pushed all the way in. By this point it should be warmed up enough to hop on and ride. The time this takes will vary from bike to bike... they're just like women... every one is different.

GBrooks
01-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the info.

Are there any other possible causes?
Tried the above and let it run for about 5 minutes. Pushed choke in and it still dies. It has never taken that long to be ready since I have owned it.

I have checked air intake for any possible blockage, nothing. Rechecked the gap on the new spark plugs, good.

Thanks again,
GB

bufordtpisser
01-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the info.

Are there any other possible causes?
Tried the above and let it run for about 5 minutes. Pushed choke in and it still dies. It has never taken that long to be ready since I have owned it.

I have checked air intake for any possible blockage, nothing. Rechecked the gap on the new spark plugs, good.

Thanks again,
GB

Is it possible that the fuel is stale?? You may want to try some seafoam additive in the fuek to keep it fresh and to help keep the deposits out of the fuel system. I believe that the recommended amounts have been discussed in other threads. Use the search feature, and do a search for seafoam.

GBrooks
01-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks bufordt,

I may try the seafoam, but my only problem is that to keep the bike running the choke needs to be pulled out and I do not want to run it with choke on for too long a period.

Thanks again.

GB

GBrooks
01-05-2007, 07:16 PM
New to this forum. Have a question I need help with. I posted this in the Star Motorcycle forum.

I have a 2002 Vstar 650. It will start with no problems when the choke pulled out. When I think it is ready, I push choke in and it will not stay running. I have changed spark plugs and double checked for proper gap. I have check air filter and it is good. No blockage in the air box. My kids may have turned the idle adjuster and messed it up, but without a tach, I do not know were it should be set. I am getting spark from both plug wires. It is not an every day rider. I bought it for my wife to learn and she does not ride it that much. I try and start it every week and take it for a spin around the neighborhood. The fuel should be good that is in the tank. Last fill up was about a moth ago.

When it is running with choke out, it sounds like it wants to back fire. While choke is out, if I go to rev it a little it will die. If I go real slow, it will stay running but backfire.

HELP!!!!!

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
GB

bigwater
01-05-2007, 10:14 PM
There's really no need for two separate threads on this topic. I realize it's a big board, but you need to have patience enough for people to read it and respond.

You've already got the most likely answers to your problem in your other thread, but since you weren't satisfied with those... I'll offer one more. Wait till it gets warm. You've got a cold natured bike. Get used to it.

So people don't give you conflicting information in different threads, I'm merging the old thread here. Please do not start another thread on the same subject. It makes me cranky.

thebighop
01-06-2007, 05:01 AM
You're gonna get on a list kid!

jimbear56
01-06-2007, 06:30 AM
I had a 1981 XV750 VIRAGO for about 7 yrs and EVERY time it was started cold it was a different program, I always let the bike tell me what it wanted, full choke no throttle or crank throttle and then pull choke fully,this was the manual start procedure,usually ended up flooded and a change of plugs needed. I learned to try to start without doing anything but hit the starter,then add choke or throttle as needed. Always an adventure.
RIDE ON JIM

LEWY
01-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Hi GBrooks,
I would just like to back up the other guys on this one. I have a Honda VT1100 Shadow ACE. It is the coldest bike I have owned. At this time of year it can take 3 miles before the choke is fully in. If I do the same as you my bike acts just the same. I had an XV1100 Virago and it could be started with the choke then push it straight off.
You just need a little more patience mate.

aleykat271
01-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Hey GB, read about your problems.Does your state use MTB as a fuel additve where you live? Also within a month fuel can start going bad,and one last thing,you might want to check for air leaks around th the carbs where they mount to the manifolds,especially the rubber seals.Sounds like you could have an air leak,especially since it's not a daily rider,these seals can dry rot and shrink causing an air leak,and with the enrichner on,it will run fine,because you are introducing more fuel into the engine,but when you push the enrichner in,now you have a lean mixture,and what is know as a lean misfire...hope that helps..good luck!!!:moped:I agree with everyone else about properly warming up your bike,what state do you live in,and how cold is it,those are all variables to what your existing problem is,also you can ride with the enrichner out partially until the bike warms up,and runs properly on it's own.If when you ride for several miles,and the bike still does not want to run properly without the enrichner out,that is when you want to look for air leaks!!!!

GBrooks
01-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I live in Texas. It gets chilly at night but during the day it ranges anywhere from 45-63. I have had this bike since 2002. Bought it new and never had this kind of problem during any other winter.

Thanks,
GB

thebighop
01-06-2007, 02:10 PM
I gotta agree with Aley (did I say that?) Oh...BTW Hey GB..welcome to the forum!!!:waver:
I have friends that have 650 V-Stars and the rubber seals under the carbs have been known to go bad on a few of them...especially up here in the tundra where we don't get to ride year around like some people in the over rated Sunshine State get to do...:pissed: :signenvy:
We have a 2-4 month lay up here in Michigan, and the rubber seals and boots and like materials tend to deteriorate due to the constant freezing and thawing, and also in storage like that, condensation can wreak havic on seals and gaskets and mufflers and all sorts of things...

aleykat271
01-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Hi GB,and welcome to the forum. I suspect that your rubber seals on the carbs are your problem! You've had it a few years,and it's never done this before,a quick way to check them is once the bike is good and warm,make sure the enrichner is off,and spray some parts cleaner around the carb where it mounts to the manifold,if the idle rises,that's definetely your problem!!! Hope this helps....From the overated Sunshine state...eat your heart out HOPPIE,it was 83 here today,and I rode out to Cocoa Beach..fantastic ride!!!!!:moped: :signIwil:

thebighop
01-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Dear Aley :
:pissed: :2finger: :fire: :piss: :cussing:

ER .. ah...GB, I do think that hotdog is right though...sounds like a probable answer to the problem...

aleykat271
01-08-2007, 01:03 AM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Navy"][B][I]Gee! Thanks for backing me up HOPPIE,and all the support....lol....:grphug: GB seen this problem many times before,and I'm sure this will fix it..Good luck...:moped:

aleykat271
01-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi HOPPIE! "HOTDOG"...lol..... I hear the weather up there has been warmer than usual! been riding?
Dear Aley :
:pissed: :2finger: :fire: :piss: :cussing:

ER .. ah...GB, I do think that hotdog is right though...sounds like a probable answer to the problem...