PDA

View Full Version : Helmet safety - law

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

jrbooe
09-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Florida is one of those states Hoppie. It is not enforced but it is a requirement

thebighop
09-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Myself...I think that if a person is fed up enough...they should be free to check out...AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE. I shouldn't have to pay a single red cent for the ER or ambulance or their paupers funeral...
The same holds true of riding without a helmet....
If you want to do wheelies at 80 mph on the expressway in rush hour traffic while riding a souped up crotchity rocket and no helmet...By all means...have at it...just don't EXPECT any sympathy...or medical bill payments from me....
I will however take a job wiping spittle from your chin for a decent wage...sorry you don't want to mess yourself up so bad you can't wipe yer own ass though...I draw the line at spittle....
As I see it...as long as your are willing to pay the premiums and the insurance you carry will cover you and your passenger, then you can go head on...Figuratively of course...
I don't know how any other state operates their insurance industry...In Michigan, we have No-Fault. If you wreck...your insurance covers you. Regardless of who is at fault. The insurance companies fight it out with each other to be repaid from the driver at faults' insurance company.
I would assume that states requiring the added insurance would have a similar plan...
I also would have to think that if , Florida for example , requires the extra insurance...they would be pulling a rider from Michigan over to either warn them or cite them for not having the required insurance....If they want to ride without the helmet, then make them buy the insurance rider for the time they are in the helmet free state...there's a simple plan that would solve some of the problem....
I say this because it seems that the debate here keeps going back to the tax payer footing the bill...
Remove the insurance cap, and charge accordingly..if you ride without a helmet...(at least until it's proven that helmets cause as much or more injury than going without)...you pay more to do so....
You should have to pay to play....

FX
09-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Remove the insurance cap, and charge accordingly..if you ride without a helmet ....
You should have to pay to play....

You're my hero! :kewl:

jrbooe
09-13-2007, 05:47 AM
Yay, Hoppie has become a hero again.

bufordtpisser
09-13-2007, 07:54 AM
I agree with removing the insurance cap. I also agree that people should be charged for the expense of having an ambulance or rescue crew come save their sorry ass when they CHOOSE to do something stupid, or with the lack of common sense. Like drive when drunk, or tired. Or go mountain climbing, or hiking with a compass and a map. Hell, look at the guy Burt Rattan who is lost in a plane right now. Who is footing the bill for his search and rescue?? I choose not to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, or hike without a compass and map, or hell even go mountain climbing. But I am not asking the government to legislate those sports out of existence or to put undue restraints on those who choose to pursue them. But those same people who do choose those sports over my chosen motorcycling sport are some of the most vocal against my choice of riding without a helmet if I so choose. Then they want to throw the public liability issue into my face. They are way more of a public burden than I ever was. I may be a public nuisance, but never a public burden. I just want the choice. My common sense must kick in, because I almost always grab the helmet. But I don't need Johnny law on my ass because I chose to forgo the lid to go to the corner store. The two states that I ride in the most both allow me to ride lid free. But without a doubt, when you see the Buford on the big green Ultra, he will have a DOT approved lid on his noggin.

Tugs
09-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Well said Hop.

thebighop
09-13-2007, 08:24 AM
You're my hero! :kewl:
Aw shucks...
I ain't no hero...just ask my fans in the Political/Social threads....
Common sense and logic say "ride safe"...I just try to listen to them and practice what I hear....

thebighop
09-13-2007, 08:41 AM
As a side note to my thoughts...
I also think you should have a way to show that you have the proper coverage...maybe a sticker on your license plate or some such thing....
That way if you are riding without a helmet and sufficient insurance...and I mean a hell of a lot more coverage than $20K...you could be pulled over and ticketed, which in turn helps pay the donut bill at the local cop shop....
I carry more insurance than the minimum...maybe not the top tier of coverage, but a lot more than the bottom tier covers. And that's on top of my health and accident insurance I have from my former employer as part of my pension....which will cover all ER services and most of the rest of the medical care...The insurance companies can battle among themselves to recoup the money.
I don't want a state like Michigan, that is in financial peril, deciding the extent of treatment I should get, or deciding to bring in a Boy Scout with a First Aid Merit Badge instead of qualified medical personnel to care for me, because they are trying to save a buck.
I know insurance companies will try to do the same thing, but at least while you are in ER, you are fairly well protected from them....

FX
09-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Oh yeah and I bet the next issue to come up is if it's the other guy's fault.

Most people have 10K in auto insurance, if they have any at all. How long will your family keep you alive with that? That is half the amount needed to ride without a lid, $20K, and we have already established that 20K aint enough.

It's real easy to simplify this with words, but it's just not that simple.

How much insurance do these new Mexican Truckers have to carry? I bet none. Wait till they hit the streets with us. You can't sue someone in Mexico. But that's another thread about Bush and his selling out of our National Security.

jrbooe
09-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Hey, FX, you stole my Mexican NAFT thing. Shame on you, ha ha.

thebighop
09-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Oh yeah and I bet the next issue to come up is if it's the other guy's fault.

This is why I like No-Fault insurance...the insurance companies fight between them selves and leave the injured out of it...
If an injured party wishes to sue above and beyond what the insurance covers...it's done between the party's that were involved in the wreck.
It doesn't allow for dumb shit like a drunk driver suing because a land owner had a tree where he tried to drive his vehicle. It allows for the injured to sue for pain and suffering in accidents that leave someone permanently disabled, but not too many frivolous suits make it to court.
With AT-Fault insurance the door is left wide open for all sorts of bull shit law suits...
Someone needs to start a thread on NAFTA / TAFTA...or as we refer to it here in a city built and destroyed by the auto industry...SHAFTA

jrbooe
09-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Hoppie, the biggest problem I see creating a thread like that is we will all get involved in a big row on union anti-union b.s. Hell, y'all know my stand on unions anyway.

thebighop
09-13-2007, 09:37 AM
OH NO!!! We mustn't create any controversy...LOL

jrbooe
09-13-2007, 09:40 AM
ha ha

c.crawford
09-13-2007, 03:21 PM
There is a nice quiet country road with no traffic. I know the people of the few cattle ranches and farms on it. The rest of it is hay fields, woods and corn fields that have dried and nearly failed (there was a second cutting of hay this year, it wasn't much). The combine and tractor drivers DO LOOK before they pull out onto the pavement. They see that headlight and expect you to be going the speed limit. If you are going 100MPH insead of the 55MPH speed limit.....SPLAT!...and I don't care. Deer get in those corn fields too, watch out for them. I have a healthy insurance policy, not top tier, but up there. It doesn't cost too much more. The end of the road has a T intersection. By that time the force of the wind has driven the sweat from my head and helmet. There is plenty of time to put the helmet back on and continue.

My cousin hit a deer. It cost him 6 weeks in intensive care and 6 months in hospital. He did have a helmet on. Head injury consequences haven't manifested themselves ..yet. The kid I mentioned had a helmet on was going much too fast for that road, side-swiped a wrecker truck and cut his head off. It was his older brother's crotch rocket that had just been painted green. The guy without a helmet, we think a deer jumped in front of him, he swerved off a strait road and did not recover. He smashed into the woods and died of blunt force trauma. He had been drinking.

I'm NOT criticising anyone's motorcycle riding ability! JR's near mis was unavoidable! I didn't expect JR to be so thin skined suddenly and then quip about white russians. I NEVER said any of the moderators are stupid, I am not saying so now!

thebighop
09-14-2007, 10:52 AM

rick miller
09-14-2007, 03:15 PM
you know we have a right to wear or not to wear . i like the wind in what hair i have left. but i do not down grade anyone who wears the lid. i try my best to look out for the other peope who are on the road sometimes you cant tell what will happen next, as in life. we all take it one day at a time and hope for the best ride of our life. i know i do not want any one to have to take care of me or my wife. i ride on a lot of runs for others who have went down or are sick. my wife and i live for it. i do hope and pray that none of you ever have to help us. rember, we have this right for now, but it can be taken away at any time. so , i say respect others rights and pray we do not have to go on a run for them.

bentangel
09-14-2007, 03:30 PM
HELMET QUIZ http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/helmet_quiz/

GRB
09-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Very good quiz. One of the questions addresses the neck injury objection to wearing a helmet and others in this thread have stated that they think helmets cause neck injuries. I must say I had not heard this objection before. After doing research I found plenty of articles supporting both sides of the argument. Some say after a criticle impact speed helmets increase neck injury and some say it makes no difference. All studies concluded helmets help reduce head injuries. So since I can't rely on studies to determine the neck injury question, I fall back on common sense. First, the average open face helmet weighs between 2 and 3 lbs while the average full face helmet weighs beween 3 and 4 lbs. Second, the average human head comprises 8% of our body mass. For a 250 lb man that equates to 20 lbs. So I've got a 20 lb noggin with a 3 lb helmet on it. Seems to me its the 20 lb noggin thats gonna snap my neck not the 3 lb helmet.

FX
09-17-2007, 07:25 AM
Gotta love math!