PDA

View Full Version : Helmet safety - law

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

jrbooe
09-01-2007, 05:39 PM
The many years I have ridden I have always chosen to wear a helmet. I am in full support of those who choose not too. Sometimes, and on rare occassions, I may take a very short spin without a helmet. Today I almost chose to do just that but at the last moment I walked back into the house and grabbed my peanut helmet. 5 Miles down the road a very youn, inexperienced, and very stoned 17 year old girl blew the red light at the intersection I was about to go through. I had not gone into the intersection yet and she actually veered right towards me. Subsequently, she did this all in the view of a Lake County deputy. I had to drop the bike, no damage to me or the bike, thank goodness. It just reminded me of why I choose to wear a helmet.

FX
09-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Once again, motorcycle awareness for car drivers seems to be the answer.

However, we have to teach people to drive properly to begin with too.

Glad to hear you dodged a cage successfully and safely.

rick miller
09-01-2007, 06:19 PM
As we all know you have to look out for the other guy. M ost of the time it is not our fault. We learn to watch, look and listen to what is around us this is what saves us most of the time. Good looking out for the other guy jrbooe ride safe

jrbooe
09-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks, Rick. I have to admit that here of late, I have seen my share of idiots on bikes. Part of that is due to our local Harley Dealer's "if you have a down payment, anyone can ride" policy. Once again, however, there has been a rash of young turks on crotch rockets that act like they have no mortality issues.

c.crawford
09-01-2007, 08:31 PM
In the 100F heat, even a peanut helmet is hot. On the interstate, the 70MPH wind is hot, there is no cooling from the wind at 95F and up. My helmet gets soaked from perspiration, it is a 3/4 helmet.

There were two killed nearby recently, one without a helmet, one with. Speed and no rider class.

...Claxton was headed southbound on Lower River Road and was approaching Watson Lane about 3 a.m. when he lost control of the motorcycle and left the road, said Officer Phil Russell, spokesman for Metro Police.

He was traveling at a high rate of speed, Russell said.

Claxton died of multiple blunt force injuries, Robinson said.

This is the second motorcycle death of the weekend.

Another motorcyclist was killed after he crashed into a tow truck on Blevins Gap Road yesterday morning. Dustin McNutt, 19, was wearing a helmet, police said.

Tugs
09-02-2007, 06:57 AM
jr, I'm glad that you are OK. I hope that the Deputy hit that kid with every charge in the book.

I also wear my helmet every time that I ride. Now granted it is the smallest and most light weight DOT helmet that I could find but it is (in my opinion) better then nothing. This is my choice to ride with a lid but I fully support that every rider should have the right to choose, as long as they follow the law and carry the insurance needed.

GRB
09-02-2007, 08:05 AM
I have a right to ride without a helmet. I have a right to smoke in public. I have a right to wear my pants halfway down my butt. I have a right to tell you to kiss off. I have a right to carry my gun in public. I have a right to, I have a right to, I have a right to. When does the I have a right to stop and common sense kick in?

c.crawford
09-02-2007, 08:20 AM
I have a right to not welcome you to the forum, but I will anyway.

Welcome to Rick Miller too.

FX
09-02-2007, 08:41 AM
I have a right to ride without a helmet. I have a right to smoke in public. I have a right to wear my pants halfway down my butt. I have a right to tell you to kiss off. I have a right to carry my gun in public. I have a right to, I have a right to, I have a right to. When does the I have a right to stop and common sense kick in?

Amen! While we are so busy asserting our rights, we have abdicated responsibility.

I have the right to lower taxes. I have the right not to have to pay for your head injury after your mere $20,000.00 of insurance is used up.

An ER bill for a head injury can be $100,000.00 or more. A stay for a serious head injury in the hospital can cost Millions of tax dollars.

Then if you die there is your family on social services perhaps.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!

thebighop
09-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Glad yer OK JR...Good looking out.

Too many Cracker Jacks drivers licenses on the road is one of the larger problems....
When I got licensed...we had to take a semester of drivers training at our high school...
The school I attended had a real drivers training course, with a street layout, signals and signs and the whole enchilada. We trained there while the teacher monitored our progress from a tower, much like a flight tower.....We didn't get out in real traffic until we had mastered the course. If you didn't make at least 90% on the course and tests...you didn't go outside the training course and re-took the whole drivers training class.
Now days, kids are taught through private driving schools, and they are ran by people concerned about profit, and not safety...
In Mich, we have a graduated scale of license...at 16 a kid can drive during daylight hours, and at night with an adult DESIGNATED by their parents or guardian . At 17 they can drive until midnight, without supervision, and at 18 become fully licensed.
That doesn't make them qualified expert drivers...but it does tone down the wrecklessness that many younger drivers seem destined to pick up.

bigwater
09-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Driver's ed was mandatory to graduate high school back when I was in school too. Ironically however, NOTHING was required to get a motorcycle license... and you could get a motorcycle license two years earlier than you could get a car licenses. That's basically the reason I started riding motorcycles in the first place.

Mom and dad split when I was 13 and I had to become self dependent for transportation. I wore out a lot of shoe leather during that first year or so. When I was 14 my dad won a Honda CB500 Twin in a poker game, and gave it to me so he wouldn't have to run me around. I went and got my license for it, and have been riding ever since.

Glad you made out okay JR...

jrbooe
09-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Some very good points have been made here. FX, for example, definitely, knows his facts about the medical costs considering there are people in the medical field in his family. I support people's rights not to wear lids. I just happen to chose to wear one, Maybe, if nothing else, to use it like a placebo to at least make me feel safer. Speaking of rights, we can all go back to the old cliche of "driving is a privilege, not a right." This weekend, I have seen many people who should lose that "privilege." Maybe paying property taxes should be a "privilege" as well. Yes, on very rare occassions I do ride without a lid. I do not find it uncomfortable in the heat, then again, I have lived in a high temperature area for 36 years and maybe I am just used to it. I support anyone's right to not wear a lid and I would never support any law that "forces" any rider to wear one. If one wants to ride without a lid, I should have the right to not have to contribute to the public dole to pay for their medical expenses should an unfotunate even happen to them while riding.

FX
09-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Property taxes are to support the community, not our recreational pleasures. Unless it's a paved road or a street sweep or something for the community, that tax you pay for homes or other things is not a medical slush fund.

Let's not cloud the issue. We pay taxes, but it's not a medical accident reserve for people who choose to exercise a so called freedom.

jrbooe
09-03-2007, 03:47 PM
FX, I partially agree, however, property taxes are for whatever the knotheads feel "they" want to use them for For instance, why do I pay no ad volorum taxes for South Lake Hospital ambulance fees when I am not even in that district? Why am I paying taxes so illegals can get welfare and free hospitalization. Ahhh, I ramble on. Back to issue, Helmets are good, smashed skulls are bad. I chose to wear a lid on my own accord, not because some idiot politician who is now trying to pass regulations that all motorcycle riders are required to wear seat belts or have airbags on their bikes tells me to do so.

bentangel
09-04-2007, 01:38 PM
JR.... I'ts always better to be safe than sorry. Glad UR fine. It seems NO-ONE has mortality issues. Even driving my jeep people in lil cages cut us off without a 2nd. thought. I heard of a man (never met him) I was told he never thought anything could hurt him. He died 3wks before his baby girl was born in head on crash against sheet metal truck... His buddy whose car he was driving was crippled for life. Casket closed cuz he was such a mess. I was that baby girl...so I know it happens. I am always co-pilot w/Mongo Hopefully between the 2 of us we will see everything!

GRB
09-05-2007, 06:01 AM
I have a right to not welcome you to the forum, but I will anyway.

Welcome to Rick Miller too.

Thanks for the welcome Crawford. I've been riding bikes for 30 years and have never ridden even one mile without a helmet, and a full faced one at that. The issue of proper biking attire can be settled by looking at the way professionals dress. Amateur riders will ride without a helmet and I've even seen riders with shorts and flip-flops on. But the professional riders will always wear shoes or boots, long pants, and a helmet. Kinda like seatbelts in a car, everyone knows its a good idea but some folks have to be made to wear them and some never will.

c.crawford
09-05-2007, 06:00 PM
I was in Texas when the helmet laws went away and then came back. Only three states; CO, IL and IA have no requirements for helmets at all. The comment I was trying to make -it is equally unsafe if there is so much sweat driping into my eyes that I can't see. It is just part of the nasty hot rainless weather lots of places have been having. Lately it has been like trying to cool off with a hair dryer. Weather hot enough to break down the power grid. 100F just saps a whole lot of fun and comfort from the ride. I have a feeling that this winter will break some cold temperature records.

GRB
09-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I agree. In my younger days I would ride in all types weather but now I'm a fair weather rider. Spring and fall are my favorite times of the year. The temperatures are good and the rain is predictable. I also can't handle leaning over on a crotch rocket any more so I'm a big cruzer guy now. Guess I'm getting old.

c.crawford
09-06-2007, 07:56 AM

Italian opera star Luciano Pavarotti wears a Chinese opera helmet presented to him after a news conference in Beijing in this December 8, 2005 file photo. Pavarotti, hailed by many as the greatest tenor of his generation, died in the early hours of September 6, 2007. He was 71.

bufordtpisser
09-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Let me preface this by stating that I live in a helmet choice state. Let me also state that 99.9% of the time, I have a helmet on my head when I am on the bike. And not just a peanut shell, but an AGV 3/4. That being said,let me add a little fuel to this fire. If helmets are so great at protecting our noggins in an accident, then why is it illegal to wear one in a car in almost every state?? Auto drivers are 3 times more likely to die from head injuries than bikers. And that is taking into account the amount of cage drivers VS the amount of bike riders. The assertion that a helmet in some ways makes your safer have been debunked time and time again over the years. The reason that you cannot wear a helmet in a cage is because they keep you from hearing, and they severely cut your peripheral vision. And the public burden theory does not hold water any more. There are more crashed cage drivers being taken care of, for more serious injuries, by the public dollar that there are bike riders being taken care of.

It is biker awareness education of cage riders, mandatory severe sentencing of cage drivers who hurt or kill a biker, and horsepower to skill level limits that will stop the wholesale slaughter of our brothers. And the fact that a lot of recreational riders seem to have as at least one of their destinations during a ride, a place that serves alcohol, that seems to cause the majority of deaths to our friends. Of the 20 or so of my riding friends that have been killed in accidents over the past ten years. all but one was wearing a helmet. 7 of those, including the one without the helmet, was legally drunk at the time. 6 more of those that were killed, had at least some level of alcohol in their systems.

I ride as much as possible. I Love to ride. My seven year old son is my usual passenger. I wear a helmet to set a good example to him, not because I believe that it will save my ass in a crash. I believe that if it is my time, a helmet, no matter how good it is, will not save me. I believe that in many instances helmets cause more injury than they prevent. I am currently working in the medical field, and I have Doctor friends that ride. It is about a 50 - 50 split as to whether or not they wear helmets. And believe it or not, the ER and trauma surgeons are the ones most likely not to wear them. Because they have seen the snapped necks and spinal cord injuries that result from the whiplash effect of the extra weight of a helmet. I would never say that you should not wear a helmet. What I will however say is "LET THOSE THAT RIDE DECIDE".