PDA

View Full Version : First day of Autumn- turned cold...

ideaguy
09-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Well boys & girls- time to get out the cold-weather gear. I didn't, before a simple loop that I ride in Northern Massachusetts into Vermont-Rte 5 to be exact for those in the know, with some terrific side roads that cut through some of the prettiest farm country I've seen-green hills dotted with cows, birches lining fields, one field is all sunflowers- spectacular in the setting sun...and the sun stopped heating Mother Earth & this rider real quick. Cold. Bone-numbing, finger cramping,head banging damn cold, all in about 10 minutes, and got colder.
Gotta be kidding me. 2 weeks ago riding in a t-shirt & jeans, today had leather with a bandana for my neck and felt like a damn sissy penguin.
What's the best combination for an old knucklehead who insists on wearing leather & a 1/2 helmet? can't see wearing those touring suits on my cruiser...
never.
Any suggestions? Season just starting, color is going to be mind-blowing this year, and I gotta be warm when the temp starts dropping like the stock market...:nopity:

LEWY
09-24-2008, 03:47 AM
First day of Autumn ???.

We aint had a Summer.

jimbear56
09-24-2008, 04:46 AM
Up here in the St.lawrence River valley of NY state the trees are tuning very quickly and 3 nights in a row with frost,"leaf peeping Season will be over B4 most people expect it

Knothaid
09-24-2008, 07:19 AM
I find that compression style t-shirts like Under Armor make a good first layer, plus they are good in the heat too. For me, nothing works better than layers and I like the layers light and easier to move in. I stay away from the thick stuff altogether.

Stayed in Jaffrey, NH last summer and rode the area. Very pretty and hard to find a bad road. Wonderful area.

Ride safe.

c.crawford
09-24-2008, 08:21 AM
The trees are turning brown from lack of rain. The reminants of huricane Ike came through at 75MPH and not a drop of rain in it two weeks ago. Trees down, power out the last of them will be re-connected today. The afternoons are still too warm for long-johns.

FX
09-24-2008, 08:42 AM
It's about dessert weather here near the forest. 60's in the am and 80's in the afternoon. It's much nicer than melting down at a light with 100 degree temps and 125 or hotter pavement.

aja
09-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Fatten up, maybe? Or move to Florida.

Massachusetts . . . brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Pennsylvania was bad enough. No more cold and snow for me. Now instead of snow days I get hurricane days, though. I don't think that was a good trade off.