Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.

Thread: a chain problem...

a chain problem...

hello to everyone. i am new my name is robb. i just completed the motorcycle course today. i bought a 94 ex 500 last week to take the course on. i used it yesterday and the chain seemed very loose. so this morning we tightened it up to the manufatures specs. it was way to tight because it made a clanking nose when it got to certain spots on teh chain.(seemed tighter in one spot then way loose in the others.)the chain and sprokets look ok.and i mesured the chain to see if it was wore but according to the manual it was ok too.my ? is what is wrong. because i loosened it back up at it seemed to fix the clanking problem but it seems like it is way to loose. is that normal for a chain to have a stiff spots then as it turns get way loose?

Thanks for any help or suggestions..

As far as i know a chain realy doesn't stretch. What i've been told is a chain wears out in the links and seems to make it look longer. Your chain sounds like it has worn more in a few spots and not so much in others. Should have about 1/2 in slack lifting the chain in the middle. Replace the chain with new sprockets. Just a new chain only will wear fast if you don't change the sprockets. The pitch of the sprocket will be different than the new chain.

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    Now that I think of it, that clunk could be a stiff part in the chain. Just a guess though.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Don't ask me why but all chains have a "tight spot". Adjust your chain to the manufacturer specs at the tightest spot. You'd be ok with that.

thank you all for your help. i tried adjusting at the tightest spot but no help there. so i went and purchased teh new chain and the problem is fixed.but i didnt know about the sprokets causing the chain to wear faster. i am going to get some new ones soon. thanks again!