Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart Made in the USA or China?

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries

Wal-Mart Made in the USA or China?

So you think you are saving bucks going to wal-mart and you believe the slogan, "made in the USA" with the fine print, "when available"?

Well have you researched it? I have and they are not being honest. I have personally purchased several products from wal-mart recently, made in china, that were inferior products that had to be returned. There are fairly priced products of this type made in the USA however at other stores.

For a couple of dollars more, I could go in town to a mom and pop and get american made.

But with wal-mart's buying power, I bet they could be about equal in price at wal-mart.

So did I save money? Let's compare my savings based on a whole $5.00 saving.

Original purchase:
    One hour shopping time.
    Approximately 1.5 gallons of gas.

Using the purchase:
    30 to 60 minutes time and product is of no use.

Return product:
    Approximately one hour travel and return time.
    Another 1.5 gallons of gas.

Shop elsewhere for new product:
    Maybe one hour shopping
    Another gallon of gas driving or so.

Try new American made Product:
    Success!

If you think I saved $5.00 for the hassle, keep shopping at wal-mart. But I think a smart person will see shopping at wal-mart actually cost me more money then buying American the first time at a mom and pop store.

How many times have you had to do this? I've lost count and in turn, confidence.

P.S.
    I left out the part where I dealt with the wal-mart employees. I used to work there before Sam died. Sam would not approve of how they act now.

One piece of advice I got from an employee, Edward Grady, in the Leesburg Florida store on July 8, 2005 was this, Shop at Target next time.

I took his advice.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

I'm with you smeg, I *hate* shopping at wally world, but unfortunately I live in a very tiny community, and Wal-Mart is just about the only option without driving 35 miles. Wal-Mart came in and ran all the smaller mom and pop grocery/clothing/hardware stores out of business, so now it's 5 miles to Wal-Mart to pick up a loaf of bread, or 35 miles to Kroger.

A couple of years back there was some fruckus between the US and China over trade issues (don't remember what it was), and I got mad. I swore I'd never buy anything made in China again. I started reading the labels, and my boycott lasted all of about 10 minutes after I realized that I couldn't even buy a coathanger that wasn't made in China.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the United Coprorations of America!

There are some things that I will have to settle for like hangers from china. But I can tell right off if it will work and for how long approximatly.

But I will shop for it at Target or another store as the wal-mart employee so kindly suggested.

Our town is big enough and I have options I will choose instead.

Lost Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries

Walmart

I do not know if you know this but Walmart is very anti union. There was a store in Canada that voted in a union because of Walmarts use of "PART-TIME HELP" Walmart decided to close the store. This was after they had put most of the local stores under. I am a union member, but I feel that if a company treats everyone that works there fairly there is no reason to go union. Walmart just does not care. I only shop there if I have to.
    Ride safe

Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider
    The Ma and Pa stores were not run out of business by WalMart but rather from the changing Society.
    In todays busy society most people don't have the time nor the energy to stop at multiple stores to make everyday purchases.
    This myth of the Hooterville main street lined with small shops run by the Sam Drukers of the world died out with the party line and the one income household.

Say what you want JFN, but in the town I live in, we had numerous mom and pop stores in town... and they were all more attractive than wally world. We also had a family farm on a huge tract of land. The family that owned it was a very popular and friendly family. Wal-Mart approached the county government, and convinced the government that the government could create more tax revenue if Wal-Mart built a store rather than continuing to allow the family to grow corn and cows. The local government caved in to Wal-Mart's strong arm tactics, and ended up using the power of eminent domain to STEAL the land from the private land owners and GIVE it to Wal-Mart so they could build their little empire here.

As soon as Wal-Mart opened up, they slashed prices so deep that nobody in town could compete with them, and it was probably 20 stores that went out of business. As soon as there was no more competition, Wal-Mart raised their prices to the same that it would have been from the mom and pop shops.

It's just a shame, because this town has always been "old timey". That's what I loved about this town, and why I moved here in the first place. It used to be like something from the movie "Oh Brother Where Art Thou". Now it's just a friggin Wal-Mart parking lot.

To put it a little more in perspective:

The place where I live probably doesn't have 15,000 people in the entire COUNTY.

Before Wal-Mart came to town you could go to the grocery store, load up your buggy and go to a cashier and check out.

You could go to a clothing store, pick out a pair of jeans and go to the cashier and check out.

You could go to the drug store, get your prescription filled and check out.

You could go to the shoe store, pick out a pair of shoes and check out.

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Wal-Mart came in and muscled everybody else out of business. Now rather than dealing with only the other customers who wanted drugs, or jeans, or shoes, you deal with everybody who needs everything. Before, you could be in and out of a store for the specific product you were looking for at that time, and be done in no time. Now you have to stand in line for 30 minutes to buy the one item you need, because Wal-Mart is the only place to buy it... and it's the only place to buy everything else as well, so the entire county is at Wal-Mart at the same time.

Wal-Mart may be a happy solution for the big bustling city folks who want to get it done all in one place, but for us simple country folks, it SUCKS.

Recognized Member
    Its funny my best friends mom is the regional director of Walmart stores lol. I am also a lucky one, I have many different stores to go shop at where i live....and if it gets too bad i can just take a trip to the Mall of America.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by puckhead
    Its funny my best friends mom is the regional director of Walmart stores lol. I am also a lucky one, I have many different stores to go shop at where i live....and if it gets too bad i can just take a trip to the Mall of America.
    Email her this thread.

Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwater
    To put it a little more in perspective:

The place where I live probably doesn't have 15,000 people in the entire COUNTY.

Before Wal-Mart came to town you could go to the grocery store, load up your buggy and go to a cashier and check out.

You could go to a clothing store, pick out a pair of jeans and go to the cashier and check out.

You could go to the drug store, get your prescription filled and check out.

You could go to the shoe store, pick out a pair of shoes and check out.

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Wal-Mart came in and muscled everybody else out of business. Now rather than dealing with only the other customers who wanted drugs, or jeans, or shoes, you deal with everybody who needs everything. Before, you could be in and out of a store for the specific product you were looking for at that time, and be done in no time. Now you have to stand in line for 30 minutes to buy the one item you need, because Wal-Mart is the only place to buy it... and it's the only place to buy everything else as well, so the entire county is at Wal-Mart at the same time.

Wal-Mart may be a happy solution for the big bustling city folks who want to get it done all in one place, but for us simple country folks, it SUCKS.
    Hey BW, I'm still looking for those Ma and Pa stores. Maybe in your neck of the woods they once existed but here in civilization they haven't been around for years and it wasn't WalMart that put them out of business. I can draw a five mile circle around my house and I'll skip the Mall of America, there are: Home Depot, 2-Targets, 1- WalMart, K-mart, Menards, Kohls, JCPenney's, Sears, Marshall Fields, Best Buy, Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics, Radio Schack, etc...
    But WalMart put all the Ma and Pa's out of business
    PS WalMart was the last of these to come to this area.