Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.

Thread: Dealers lie to customers and HD

Very Active Member

Dealers lie to customers and HD

The extras that everyone wants on their new bike actually void the warranty, that is, unless you have the extras installed at "the dealer". I like to do my own work.

We began having problems with the runability of the engine (2004 Dyna). The engine would buck or just stop running (at any speed) for s split second. This problem had set a DTC as an intermittent CKP, but the dealer would not just replace the crankshaft position sensor and send me on my way. They made all sorts of excuses for not replacing it so I ordered one from another dealer and installed it myself.

I called HD customer service about this and was informed that my warranty for "runnability" of the engine and that the engine warranty had been voided by additions that I had installed. A DFO was installed to correct the fuel lean burn condition due to the installation of SE breather and slip ons. The 'company' says that SE exhaust will void the warranty on the engine and the DFO voids the warranty on the ECM and all other related electronics.

We now have a brand new motorcycle with no warranty and the extended warranty is also null and void without any return of the $1200 extra for it.

The dealership (Hampton Roads HD) has a high performance department for your new bike. But, they have no actual service department because 99% of us have changed something on our new bikes that has voided the warranty. They balk and buck just like the engine did... and lie too.

Sorry for the lengthy rant but we need to be very aware of what the dealers are doing to us and to HD. You buy a new bike and they also sell you the extras that underhandedly void your warranty. What a racket! So HDs have no warranty with any dealer!

Thanks, Bill C.

I think I would check and see what The "Magnuson-Moss Act" has to say about that.

The only part of the Warranty that could be voided would be what the aftermarket part effects...

I hear this complaint quite a bit with oil "The Dealer Says it will void my Warranty" I simply tell them to get that in writing on company letterhead signed by the owner or General Mgr.... Never happens as they would have to supply it free for as long as you own it.

I have to relate this to automotive here.. Banks kits, do not void OEM Warranties because they are not an "Internal" Mod. BUT Ford, IH, Chrysler and Cummins are voiding warranties for engine problems associated with K&N and similar air filters as they have been found "Not to meet OEM Requirements" and this is perfectly leagal under the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Go on line and print a copy and seewhat it says.

The Dealer will look for any reason other than OEM problem. Warranty is a pain to deal with when they can get cash out of a customer.

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the United Corporations of America!
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

I always wait until after it's out of warranty to do mods

Very Active Member

Exclamation Disheartened by the HD Company...

A call was placed to HD's Customer Service in regards to a question from their ' Troubleshooting Data Bank'. I was assigned a customer service agent that would take care of my 'case'. The formalities were taken care of about me and the motorcycle and I found that their information on my 'case' was already much greater than I expected. They know all! (I may rather call what I'm in a 'cage', not a case!)

The agent needed to make a few phone calls and would get back to me. She did, and was almost hostile towards me (the youth coming out I'm sure) for no apparent reason. I had purchased a set of 'quick install pushrods' for a friend from a nearby dealer and she wanted to know "just what have you done to the engine on that bike?" With that I realized that she was not there to help, but build a case against any claim that I, as yet, had made - sort-of completely defensive right away.

We have put up with much with this HD motorcycle, not all any good and very little pleasent. The dealers for the most part, act like they are put out to help beyond taking cash from a hand. I'm so very dissapointed with HD; their manners, customer service and warranty are deplorable. We spent hard earned cash for this motorcycle, and have enjoyed it, but the problems that we have encountered would certainly force me to discourage anyone looking for a good motorcycle to even look at an HD. The bike is not all that you buy when you buy new - HD needs to realize that and stop their snotty attitude towards the common customer.

I found and repaired the problem with this motorcycle myself after going to two dealerships with it. Their dealerships relate the same problems that 'the company' has. This is the a$$h011 syndorme: you will encounter the first one when you enter the establishment and can follow the trail all the way to the top! ("Trickle Down Anal Attitude")

I will be happy to let any Dyna owners in on the remedy for HD's screw-up! The dealers don't have a clue yet, but they are soon to find out since many Dyna's suffer from the same inept construction technique. Does your Dyna quit running for an instant while you ride? Do you get any trouble codes (DTC's)? Have you replaced a voltage regulator or crankshaft position sensor yet? You will....

Thanks, Bill C.

That's one of the reason HD is losing riders at a break neck speed. Customer service sucks. When the first Twin Cams came out, there was a design flaw that caused the heads to come apart. You could hear it coming, but if you went to a dealership to have it fixed before it broke, HD's policy was "we don't fix it until it breaks". When you're halfway on a 2000 mile ride, and your bike starts acting up, and you stop at a dealer and they basically tell you to fu** off, then 200 miles later your stuck on the side of the road, it sort of leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Hopefully HD will come around with their customer service soon. I love my HD bikes, but don't see myself buying a new one as long as I can keep my old ones puttering along.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

Very Active Member

And it is very satisfying to troubleshoot and repair your own machine. This problem had haunted us for over six months and finally we, in frustration and anger, solved the problem ourselves.

I hope to get this behind us but the actions of HD stay on my mind. You're right, they did tell me to fu** off, and I kept going back for more! Warranty - HAH! The computer didn't have a DTC for this problem but it was very emission related.

Thanks,
    Bill C.

We were just informed by a service manager of a GOOD HD dealership in Roanoke, VA that HD is required to warranty their emission components for an additional five years beyond the normal two. I'll bet that chaps their asses!
    Last edited by BClem; 09-21-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Don't feel like the Lone Strangers.... I see many posts with the sites I visit with ALL manufacturers, not just HD... Even with the law on your side in many instances, they know that it comes down to who is the most tenacious and has the deepest pockets.

I am tossed in the future to buy another Wing or a HD... The Wings also have their problems such as cracking frames and it doesn't look like Honda America is willing to help cure the problem... more of like an "Oh Well" attitude from what I have heard.

Settled In

Warrenty fix

B. Clem
    I had a warrenty problem with a 05 King classic, It took three trips to the dealer before they agreed with me. After I did all the test on the blinker switch thet determined it was faulty. Like it was rocket science or something to figure that out sense the blinker would not turn off! Any way it was not near as painful as yours and I also work on my own bike like you and many others. I also have the same last name as you and live in Fred. Md. Just was courious if related or not. If you know if you will be haeded this way sometime give me a shout and maybe I can show you some good roads around here.

Blog Entries

Warranty Issues..................

Warranty issues have been around for as long as there have been warranties. I ran into the same issues with a 1995 Buell S2. Exhaust pipe would not stay tight. Seems there was a recall on the bushings that held the pipe in place. Went to two dealers and was told that my bushings were not quite bad enough yet to be replaced under the recall. Had to do a two week trip all around the state of PA, and wouldn't you know it 100 miles from home my header pipe broke at the muffler. I took the bike back to the dealer to be repaired and was told that they would replace the bushings but not the muffler. After arguing with the service manager for 45 minutes to explain that if they had repaired the bushings, the pipe would not have broken, I finally left with a still broken bike. Went to dealer #2 same story. ABout a week later I just happened to stop at a dealer close to Erie. Their service manager ordered all of the parts and shipped them to my house. Yes, I did have to do the repairs myself, but it did not cost me anything other than time. Needless to say, all of my Buell stuff came from that dealer. Too bad he had to close the doors for other reasons.

I know that this is a long post, but the moral is, not all dealers are this way. There are a lot of good dealers out there that do go the extra mile to help you out. Seems like all we ever hear though is about the bad ones. I hate that you had to go through all of that to get your bike running right. Hang in there man, it is a talented rider that can fix his own scooter when the dealer is clueless.