Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.

Thread: Can I get some opinions everyone?

Can I get some opinions everyone?

Hey, everyone, I'm new here. I'm 18 and a freshman in college. Recently my dad "got into" motorcycles and he ended up dragging me in. I love riding and I absolutely love the MPGs motorcycles get. Now, currently, I am riding a 04 Honda Rebel 250. I've been riding for about 2 months now and this bike is getting to small. From here stems the problem. I need a bike that is comfortable, good on gas, and reliable. I'm thinking about a displacement of around 650(not too powerful and still good on gas). Now, I'm not interested in sport bikes or cruisers. I want more of a standard bike, with a good seat, and the ability for to attach saddle bags or the like. Now bikes I've looked at; Honda's CB from the 1980's( I really like the style, but the age has drawbacks.; The suzuki SV650( I like this bike's style too and its new, which means less chance of problems for a while). My experience is severely limited and I want this first bike to be able to last me a while and to be a good bike. So is anyone has any thoughts please share. Thanks.

I am fairly familiar with Honda's "standard" CB product. The last CB750 was made in '03. They are no longer available new in the states. Honda has abandoned their 450 engine. There could well be a 450 rebel out there older than you are. It seems that Honda has gone V twin happy with everyone else. The 600 (583cc) Shadow is a good 4 speed bike. The power is a little on the light side. In 1983 Honda made a screaming 250cc inline four. This jeweled wrist watch had a redline of 18,000 RPM. Its 4 valves per cylender were as big around as dimes. It was only available in Japan. The 350, 400, 450, 550 and 650 inline four Hondas of the '70s are problematic for riding but make great collector items. The most durable Honda inline four turned out to be the CB500K. If you trade, you can easily come up on the short side.
    Last edited by c.crawford; 09-04-2005 at 05:07 PM.

Take a look at the new Triumph Bonnevilles.....They are a full on standard bike, reliable and fun to ride. 790cc vertical twin, you can pick up a good used one for 5-6,000. I get 47mpg average on my '03. I love that bike!

You can see pics at Bikepics.com or Triumph.com.

I will get an album set up here as soon as i get around to it, then you can see mine!
    Remember your mistakes, as well as your Triumphs.