Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.

Thread: Bike Recommendations

Settled In

Bike Recommendations

Hi,

I've never rode a motorcyle but I've decided now is the time. I'd like to get started with a good used bike. Would you nice folks tell me some good bikes to check out and some ones to stay away from?

I can tell you that I don't like the "crotch rocket" bikes. I'm more into classic styles.

I'm also looking for something to just get around on, nothing fancy. Ride to and from work, that type of thing.

I appreciate the help!
    James in ATL.

How much do you want to spend JS? And how much of this is an investment vs. throwing your dollars down the drain?

I know of a couple of NICE Harley cruisers only an hour or so north of ATL that could be had in the low 10's range that would take a long time to lose their value from there, but I can't give any suggestions untill I understand a budget.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

Settled In

budget

Thanks for the reply. Oh, I'm not looking at spending in the 10's. I'm thinking more like 2K to 3K.

Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider
    There is a lot of good used starter bikes that can be had for 2-3k.
    A lot of people are happy with the Honda lines including the Shadows.
    Another thread mentioned Yamaha's virago line.
    I'm sure some others will pipe in with their recommendations.

Im new to these forums aslo.. and am also looking into what i want to be my first bike. Theres a reletively cheap '76 honda cb 550 and i was wondering if anyone had some input on those bikes... thanks

Ahhh, a classic. I had a mid 70's CB550 Twin, and you couldn't beat that beast to death with a sledge hammer. Was my first bike and I rode the living hell out of it. Good beginner bike for sure... at least back in the mid 70's it was. What do you mean when you say "relatively cheap"? I got mine because my dad won it in a poker game
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

cheap enough for me :P

guy posted selling for 1500-2100 i think ide have to check back to know for sure..
    thanks