Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.

Thread: which one

which one

hi guys i'm new to this site and looking to get a good starter bike and this is what i have it narrowed down to. what do you guys think a honda shadow ace 750 or a yamaha v star 650 for around town and minor freeway driving. i'm stuck on which one to get but i know it's going to be used.

by the way i'm 6'2" about 240
    Last edited by NDrider80; 09-11-2005 at 05:08 PM.

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    Both are good bikes. You're a big guy, if you feel comfortable on them, I'd bet either would make you happy. I can't think of any particular reason to exclude one or the other as a choice.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

I'm about 2 inches shorter than you and we bought a 650 V-Star Classic for my G/F.

I can ride the bike OK and we have even rode 2 up when I was doing the brakes on my Wing but I feel a little cramped on it so you probably will as well.

Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful bike, my G/F is about 5'3" and she can flat foot the ground on it so for a 6 plus it can be a little small..

oil doc, yeah i found that also it is a little cramped for me but i dont reall want to start riding on a honda shadow saber 1100 (1999-2006) which fits me better but has to powerful of a motor to begin with

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    I am 6-1 and went about 180 or so when I had my sportster. I loaded it up and put my G/F on it all the time. Yeah it was cramped, but we wanted to ride and did.

I got all kinds of wierd looks and comments on how it was a sportster and WTF were we thinking. But we went.

I doubt that helps, but the point is, ride what you can till you can get better. If you are thinking a big motor is too big for you but can afford it and it gets you a bigger bike, get it!

Don't hold back. Yeah an 1100 saber can be fast, but not with 240 on it and then add a passenger two up. Just get it and be comfortable if you think that fits you and you like it.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Another point to consider about the more powerful motor is it's only going to put out as much power as you tell it to. Get the bigger bike if you're more comfortable on it, just don't start giving it a whole lot of throttle until you become experienced.

Just my .02
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

bigwater hit the proverbial nail on the head. The engine size/HP makes no difference if you don't use it.... I would rather be comfortable as long as it is in my $$ range/affordability.

Oil Doc brings up another good point on the $$ issue. If you go out and buy a smaller bike and find out that it's not suitable/comfortable after a while, you'll gonna end up spending more in the long run when you take the depreciation hit on the smaller bike to trade up for the bigger bike. You'll end up spending more in the long run by buying a bike that's too small for you only to trade up six months later.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego