Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.

Thread: Just moved to NH, CT

Just moved to NH, CT

Hey all,

I'm from India, and have been riding motorcycles for the last 5 years. I own two bikes - a 150 cc Honda, and a 350cc Yamaha 2-stroke twin.

I've just moved to New Haven, and Im keen to continue cycling. Could anyone tell me how I can go about getting a licence in Connecticut? Also, any advice about whether it is worth it to buy a bike now, or wait until winter is over? What do you guys do with your bike during winter? I unfortunately dont have a heated garage to store a motorcycle in.

Thanks,

BombayRD

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum. There may be deals on bikes from folks unloading them this time of year. That could be a good thing. I think there is a thread around here about winterizing, I just don't have it handy.

Good to have ya.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Thanks

Thanks FX. Glad to be here.

What do you ride (can't quite make out from the photo)?

Blog Entries
    That's a 1991 HD FXRS Low Rider.

Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider

Quote Originally Posted by bombayrd
    Hey all,

I'm from India, and have been riding motorcycles for the last 5 years. I own two bikes - a 150 cc Honda, and a 350cc Yamaha 2-stroke twin.

I've just moved to New Haven, and Im keen to continue cycling. Could anyone tell me how I can go about getting a licence in Connecticut? Also, any advice about whether it is worth it to buy a bike now, or wait until winter is over? What do you guys do with your bike during winter? I unfortunately dont have a heated garage to store a motorcycle in.

Thanks,

BombayRD
    Looks like JFN pointed you in the right direction for the DL requirements. I used to be married to a gal from Meriden CT, and can say without a doubt that the roads there are the absolute worst roads you can ride in the winter time. They build them too thin, and they buck, boost, crack and split during the winter. You get beat to death driving a cage on CT roads during the winter. It's hard enough riding Conneticut highways in a cage during the winter, and you aren't going to want to ride a bike starting about the first of November until about the end of March. It may be worth waiting until spring to buy a bike if you don't have a way to store it over the winter, because I can almost bet you aren't going to ride it at all over the winter.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

Thanks

Thanks JFN, Bigwater.

I feared as much. Oh well, will wait until the spring then. Might try and get the licence now though. What do you think? Or should I take the BRC?

Cheers,

BombayRD

Blog Entries
    We all endorse taking the Rider Courses. They offer alot of good information that could improve your riding experience and possibly save your life.

Good luck.

Settled In
    Hey bombayrd I live in East Haven always looking for peeps to ride with keep me in mind when ya get a bike
    93 GSXF 600