Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.

Thread: Problems with my electrical system

Exclamation Problems with my electrical system

HELP PLEASE,

I just got an 85 Maxim 700 within the last week and am having problems already. This is my first bike so any help would be appricated.

Recently the bike quit and will not start up again. I have a good battery, but there is no power being delievered to the bike. I have no headlights, will not turn over (all I hear is a cliking noise, if that), hell my horn doesn't even work. I am not really sure where to begin to attempt to fix this problem so any help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks for all of your help,

Dave
    Shiny side up, rubber side down

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    Check the battery. It may be dead. If it was in fact good, it may not be charging. Do the obvious, check all the connections and clean any corrosion.

I'm not certain about the charging system on that bike, but there are smart people here and someone will.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Check all electrical connections. Bikes vibrate, and terminals vibrate loose all the time. If it clicks sometimes, and sometimes not, I would suspect a loose battery cable or chassis ground. When you find it, put some blue locktite on the bolt before you tighten it back down. Locktite is a biker's best friend. I never put a bolt in anywhere without it.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

The battery is a known good, I just purchased and installed a new one on Friday, Sept 23. The connections to the terminals aren't corroeded, connections to the battery are tight. I have yet to check the ground and I am going to go through and check all the fuses when I get some time.

Thanks for the suggestion about the locktite. I will pick some up asap.

Dave

Did you buy a "dry" battery, meaning one that you have to add distilled water to before you install it? Many motorcycle batteries come that way, and sometimes it takes a few days for the electrolytes to build up. If that's the case it may take a week or so before the battery reaches full charge.

Recognized Member Rider Info Insider
    The clicking could be a breaker tripping.Find your fuse or breaker panel and check for 12v from the either side of the fuses or breakers to battery negative with the key off then on.If you get 12v on one side and not the other you likely have a short to ground in that circuit.You will need a wiring diagram and a 12v test light for this.You can get a manual for your bike or try to find a website with a diagram.A 12v test light is a must and is cheap at any auto parts store.

Smile

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The battery should be good. I bought it from a batery store and they added water to it and charged it for me before I picked the thing up. I did go back to the battery today and checked the connections to the terminals once more. I guess they must have been just a little bit loose beacuse the bike started and ran just fine. I will still check the fuses when I get some time. Thank you very much for the instructions on what and how to check the voltages in the breaker pannel. It is something that I never would have known.

At this point I guess I dont need any more help. Thanks again to everyone who responded. If things go wrong again, you will be sure to hear about it.

Thanks,
    Daze

Glad you got it fixed, and don't forget that locktite. Use the blue stuff, not the red. You have to use a blowtorch and heat the bolt up to break the red loose, but the blue can be broken with a little elbow grease.