Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.

Thread: Contemplating a career change

Contemplating a career change

I've been kicking around the idea of changing careers, and doing something with these newfangled two-wheeled contraptions sounds interesting. I've worked on bicycles, commercial aircraft as a structures (sheetmetal and rivets) mechanic, and for the past few years I've been self-employed as a locksmith, so nuts and bolts and levers and cams don't scare me. We have an MMI campus here in Phoenix, so I guess what I'm asking is:

1. Does anyone out there reading currently make a living working on bikes?

2. If so, what is the industry like on the service side of things?

3. What's the money like?

4. What kind of reputation does MMI (a division of Universal Technical Institute) have for training new techs?

Appreciate the input.
    Have a nice day unless you've made other plans.

If it was me, I would spend my money on two or three parts bikes, just like my ride now. Tools, special tools, Clymers manuals, official ________ shop manual for the bike. I'd have one to ride, one to fix, one to scrap, and one to just look at.

There was a deploma mill around here called Decker, the state shut them down. Not before they suckered a lot of peoples tuition and lost their acreditation. ITT, UTI and MMI are gonna say it is not their problem.

The real trick now is fuel injection. Very few mechanics can do that because it is electronic. The 'brain' is outrageous expensive and it is a black box, it is unrepairable on purpose.

Where you might make money without giving up your day job is making keys for motorcycles. Funny how everyone looses their key, title, registration, green card, ect, ect.

The other huge benifit of starting out on your own stuff, people are crazy about money and service. There are some that actually want you to warranty a burn out, see clip:

http://grab.orsm.net/php/movies.php?.../gottahurt.wmv

You can't always get the parts. The customer doesn't always pay. The lieability is great. It is too easy to mess up.
    Last edited by c.crawford; 10-30-2005 at 10:32 AM.

Yeah..
    What he said...
    Don't hate me 'cause yer stoopid

www.productsforme.com

Glad I'm not the only one to feel that way.
    Have a nice day unless you've made other plans.

I don't know if this helps you any but it has helped me.

When I got out of the service I was OUT. No warning (I was doped up in the hospitol so wasnt aware of what was happening) just a "heres yer papers" and thats it. I retrained myself. Some collage. The commercial divers school. As time went by I trained for corrosion control, underwater coatings application and then inspection. I also retrained for bridges and concrete. Now I am a teflon welder and inspector.

The thing is...

Find what you have a passion for and MAKE it turn a buck. Don't just repair bikes and stuff. Go specialized. Of course you know what you need to do to stay above water but don't just "repair" bikes. It can make money. Same with auto repair.

But that is your decisions to make. Everything you can do has the potential for making money. I amke money with online businesses. Not a lot but I don't put much into it yet.
    Just go with what you feel is right and then develope it from there. But don't kill yerself doin it..lol
    Don't hate me 'cause yer stoopid

www.productsforme.com