Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 650 v-star oil leak

Settled In

650 v-star oil leak

Hey how are all of you doing? Well i thought i would ask to see if anyone else has had this problem. I have a 2000 650 vstar custom and i have an oil leak comming from the oil filter cover. the o-ring appears to be fine. the only thing i can find wrong is one of the 3 allen screws holding the oil filter cover on doesnt tighten, like it is stripped, and i am thinking this may contribute to the leak. I am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow to see what they have to say about it but if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone else has anything to say the board is open! thanks!
    ~Derek

Here's something that may help. One bolt in the cover is a bit longer. Run the proper size tap in all the holes, also run the proper size die on the screws...clean all the threads. Use a screw about 1/4" longer. (Lowes probably has some if you find it's absolutely necessary. If a tad too long, use a flat washer or two, etc.) The holes in the clutch case cover are threaded slightly deeper than the length of the stock screws (do some pre-measuring in order to make sure none will 'bottom out'). When reinstalling, put a dab of anti-seize compound on the bolts and snug them down in a criss-cross pattern. Once snug, then tighten an additional 1/16-1/8 turn. The o-ring should always be replaced. An old one will be 'flattened out' too much for reuse. Once they leak they always leak. With everything proper and a new o-ring, it doesn't require much pressure. Wipe everything dry and check the area after your first ride. If still dry, resist the urge to...(well, you know what I mean). LOL
    Hope this isn't confusing.....

Settled In
    hey thanks alot, i went down and tried to get a new o-ring but they are still out of them. i will have to try that screw deal you informed me about. not sure if the screw is of any importance but the way i figure is a loose screw is a useless screw. so thank you and i will updats to let you know how things work out.
    ~Derek

Quote Originally Posted by DerekDolls
    i will updats to let you know how things work out.
    ~Derek
    Cool...feedback always helps someone 'out there'.

Quote Originally Posted by 19gn87
    Cool...feedback always helps someone 'out there'.
    as a new member of the forum and owner of a 650, I like reading and hearing everything I can on this bike. Its new to me (wifes bike) and all my bikes have always been kawi's....

thanks for all the help boys.

Quote Originally Posted by spok
    bikes have always been kawi's....
    Glad you "stepped up"....

There is a forum devoted to the v star 650's if you would like to join.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/sgmfa/start

Its a great place with loads of info and the guys and gals there are really great to.

Settled In
    well i got the new o-ring today and that stopped the majority of the leak but i still have a small leak. i went to home depot and they didnt carry that particular bolt in a long enough size. you seemed to mention lowe's. do you know if they carry that particular screw? or know anywhere else that does (online or offline)? please let me know, thanks!!
    ~Derek

That screw/bolt will prob be a metric thread most on these bikes are metric.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekDolls
    you seemed to mention lowe's. do you know if they carry that particular screw?
    ~Derek
    Lowes...look for a package of Hillman M6-1.00 x 75mm Hex Cap Screws (Not positive, but I think the ones you're needing are 6mmx70mm). Therefore, the Hillman's may be about 5mm longer than you want. To keep from bottoming out, use about three 6mm flat washers under the bolt head. If you want, maybe you could call first and hope you can talk to someone who will check for you before wasting a trip. Other than that, check with any good hardware stores. Also ask your Yami dealer. They may not have, but possibly could order if you can 'get by' for a bit.
    HTH