Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: idle rpm's

idle rpm's

hey the vstar 650 has an idle set of 1200.....i think thats too high. do you think it will be ok if i set her idle to 800 or so? thats not gonna affect the engine will it. its my g/f bike and she doesnt want me to screw it up....lol thanks.............ed

Tell her that you're the man and you'll handle it and if she doesn't like it, to just go make you a pie.

JUST KIDDING. I had to say that for the benefit of the ladies on the board.

800 idle shouldn't be too low as long as the bike is warm. Is this fuel injected or carb'd? You probably should stick with manufacturers specs, but I tend to tinker myself and find myself adjusting the carbs regularly. Fuel injection I don't mess with much, because I don't know enough about it to make sure I don't find myself stranded on the side of the road. You can only do so much with a T12 torx driver and a pair of channel locks.

Remember that aftermarket parts can seriously affect your "breathing" of the bike, so tweaking may be necessary. If you add some straight pipes, you can choke your bike if you *don't* adjust the fuel/air ratio. Back pressure is one of the most critical and overlooked things when peeps start customizing their bikes.
    Last edited by bigwater; 12-01-2005 at 05:55 PM.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

yeah were going to add a bak to it and then we will have it jetted. right now all ive done to the engine is add a set of cobra pipes to it. sounds way better, but that idle was driving me crazy. it sound better, but now the speed is much more noticeable. so i slowed her down to about 900. shell just pull the choke as soon as it starts then push it in about 1/2 way and let her run for about 1 minute or so. i think it sounds way better but shes worried, because someone at the shop, told no dont do...."it aint a harley ya know" DUH! but it aint no crotch rocket either. so i think im gonna stick with this for now....lol thanks for the info.............ed

The pipes are likely an issue. When you reduce your baffles, which most straight pipes do, you reduce your backpressure. This causes incomplete combustion, over-run, and a variety of other engine issues. The motor "sucks" itself to death, dragging more air back through the tailpipe than it does through the air filter. When you put straight pipes on your bike, you definately need to look at re-jetting the carbs, or twisting back the FI.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

yeash but im running cobras with baffles not straights. so am i still good? and is the 900 rpm ok? thanks

Army...Clymer manual recommends 950-1050. Mine's at 1000 and engine starts properly hot/cold. HTH

Settled In

idle

the charging system won't work under 1,ooo rpm,

Red face VStar 650 Classic RPM at Idle

Idling speed adjustment for Vstar page 3-10 of Service Manual 5BN-28197-E0
    is 1150 to 1250 r/min. Mine is set there. These bikes tend to rev high.
    Jacine

Quote Originally Posted by Jacine
    5BN-28197-E0
    Good catch!...that is for the 650 models.
    XVS650 Service Manual: LIT 11616-11-16
    I didn't bother to properly "read" the post and I always think everyone has an 1100.
    Last edited by 19gn87; 12-05-2005 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks All.
    Jacine