Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: My Ninja 250 won't start

  1. #1

    Unhappy My Ninja 250 won't start

    I have a 2005 ninja 250 which I took out of the garage today and it won't start. I went and bought a new battery, charged it and installed it, and filled up the gas tank with nice new gasoline. It seems that the battery is charged all the way but the engine will not turn over. And yes, the choke, the run, and the gas were turned on. Any ideas? Thanks.

  2. #2
    On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    FX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,101
    Blog Entries
    50
    If it sat all winter, the oil sump and the cumbustion chambers could be wet from condensation.

    I'd try removing the plugs and let the bike sit in an area that won't let the temperature get below the dew point to dry um out or force um dry. They have sprays and stuff I believe.

    Then after playing with that, change the oil and gas.

    That's where I'd start.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

  3. #3
    Permanent Fixture bigwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    N. Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    2,052
    If I read your post right you said you had a new, fully charged battery and it won't turn over? Does it do anything? Clicking noises, anything to indicate that the ignition system is getting electrical power? What about the headlight... does it come on?

    How did you store the thing over the winter? Is your garage sealed nice and tight, or can critters like mice and squirrel get in and nest up inside the nooks and crannys of the bike? Might be that something found a nice meal out of some of your wiring. Stranger things have happened.

    I have a 2000 BMW 323i that I never drive. It sat all winter, and somehow a mouse found his way into the air breather. When I went to service it recently in thoughts of selling it, I popped the air breather cover to find it completely full of shredded fabric from a mat I keep in one of the dog houses, and get this... dog food. probably a pound and a half of dog food inside the air breather. The damn little critter couldn't have been much bigger than my thumb to make it into the air breather, but he managed over the winter to move a pound and a half of dog food... probably one pellet at a time... the 20 yards from the dog pen to the car.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

  4. #4
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    central oklahoma
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwater
    I have a 2000 BMW 323i that I never drive. It sat all winter, and somehow a mouse found his way into the air breather. When I went to service it recently in thoughts of selling it, I popped the air breather cover to find it completely full of shredded fabric from a mat I keep in one of the dog houses, and get this... dog food. probably a pound and a half of dog food inside the air breather. The damn little critter couldn't have been much bigger than my thumb to make it into the air breather, but he managed over the winter to move a pound and a half of dog food... probably one pellet at a time... the 20 yards from the dog pen to the car.
    Pack rat is what those are, have seen them and heard they will empty a 50 pound sack of dog food and move it long distances. Whay I try and keep dog or cat food off the floor to keep mice/rats out of it and the dogs and cats out of it.

  5. #5
    Thank you for your help but miraculously it decided to start (who knows). I spent 4 hours today working on it, left it alone for an hour, and she starts. Took her for a short ride and seemed to run just fine.
    Kate

  6. #6
    On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    FX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,101
    Blog Entries
    50
    Change the oil anyway.

    Glad it's running!
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

  7. #7
    Permanent Fixture bigwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    N. Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    2,052
    Glad it's running, but keep in mind that problems like that are not usually just "ghosts in the machine". Could be that letting it sit outside on a warm day caused a loose connection somewhere to expand enough to make contact and give you the continuity needed to get it cranked. I'd go through and check your connections and make sure everything is snug. If you do have something loose somewhere it could get looser while you're out riding around, and the next thing you know you find yourself stranded on the side of the road.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

  8. #8
    Lost bufordtpisser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,173
    Blog Entries
    2

    Clutch Switch

    Quote Originally Posted by katybug426
    I have a 2005 ninja 250 which I took out of the garage today and it won't start. I went and bought a new battery, charged it and installed it, and filled up the gas tank with nice new gasoline. It seems that the battery is charged all the way but the engine will not turn over. And yes, the choke, the run, and the gas were turned on. Any ideas? Thanks.

    These things are notorius for having issues with the handlebar mounted clutch safety switch. Ex girlfriends daughter rode one and had the exact same symptoms. Turned out to be the clutch switch. Sprayed with WD-40 and all has been well.

  9. #9
    On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    FX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,101
    Blog Entries
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by bufordtpisser
    These things are notorius for having issues with the handlebar mounted clutch safety switch. Ex girlfriends daughter rode one and had the exact same symptoms. Turned out to be the clutch switch. Sprayed with WD-40 and all has been well.
    Thanks for the tip.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Similar Threads

  1. 2002 Ninja 250 for sale
    By jbolli3 in forum Buy-Sell-Trade
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 01:51 PM
  2. Ninja won't start
    By doubleds69 in forum Street Bikes and Trikes - All Makes and Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 11:26 PM
  3. entry-level sport (ninja 250) vs standard (virago)
    By hwarrier in forum Street Bikes and Trikes - All Makes and Models
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 09:37 PM
  4. FOR SALE: 2002 Ninja 250 $1500
    By jbolli3 in forum Buy-Sell-Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 03:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •