Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.

Thread: My Ninja 250 won't start

Unhappy My Ninja 250 won't start

I have a 2005 ninja 250 which I took out of the garage today and it won't start. I went and bought a new battery, charged it and installed it, and filled up the gas tank with nice new gasoline. It seems that the battery is charged all the way but the engine will not turn over. And yes, the choke, the run, and the gas were turned on. Any ideas? Thanks.

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    If it sat all winter, the oil sump and the cumbustion chambers could be wet from condensation.

I'd try removing the plugs and let the bike sit in an area that won't let the temperature get below the dew point to dry um out or force um dry. They have sprays and stuff I believe.

Then after playing with that, change the oil and gas.

That's where I'd start.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

If I read your post right you said you had a new, fully charged battery and it won't turn over? Does it do anything? Clicking noises, anything to indicate that the ignition system is getting electrical power? What about the headlight... does it come on?

How did you store the thing over the winter? Is your garage sealed nice and tight, or can critters like mice and squirrel get in and nest up inside the nooks and crannys of the bike? Might be that something found a nice meal out of some of your wiring. Stranger things have happened.

I have a 2000 BMW 323i that I never drive. It sat all winter, and somehow a mouse found his way into the air breather. When I went to service it recently in thoughts of selling it, I popped the air breather cover to find it completely full of shredded fabric from a mat I keep in one of the dog houses, and get this... dog food. probably a pound and a half of dog food inside the air breather. The damn little critter couldn't have been much bigger than my thumb to make it into the air breather, but he managed over the winter to move a pound and a half of dog food... probably one pellet at a time... the 20 yards from the dog pen to the car.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

Quote Originally Posted by bigwater
    I have a 2000 BMW 323i that I never drive. It sat all winter, and somehow a mouse found his way into the air breather. When I went to service it recently in thoughts of selling it, I popped the air breather cover to find it completely full of shredded fabric from a mat I keep in one of the dog houses, and get this... dog food. probably a pound and a half of dog food inside the air breather. The damn little critter couldn't have been much bigger than my thumb to make it into the air breather, but he managed over the winter to move a pound and a half of dog food... probably one pellet at a time... the 20 yards from the dog pen to the car.
    Pack rat is what those are, have seen them and heard they will empty a 50 pound sack of dog food and move it long distances. Whay I try and keep dog or cat food off the floor to keep mice/rats out of it and the dogs and cats out of it.

Thank you for your help but miraculously it decided to start (who knows). I spent 4 hours today working on it, left it alone for an hour, and she starts. Took her for a short ride and seemed to run just fine.
    Kate

Blog Entries
    Change the oil anyway.

Glad it's running!

Glad it's running, but keep in mind that problems like that are not usually just "ghosts in the machine". Could be that letting it sit outside on a warm day caused a loose connection somewhere to expand enough to make contact and give you the continuity needed to get it cranked. I'd go through and check your connections and make sure everything is snug. If you do have something loose somewhere it could get looser while you're out riding around, and the next thing you know you find yourself stranded on the side of the road.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

Blog Entries

Clutch Switch

Quote Originally Posted by katybug426
    I have a 2005 ninja 250 which I took out of the garage today and it won't start. I went and bought a new battery, charged it and installed it, and filled up the gas tank with nice new gasoline. It seems that the battery is charged all the way but the engine will not turn over. And yes, the choke, the run, and the gas were turned on. Any ideas? Thanks.

These things are notorius for having issues with the handlebar mounted clutch safety switch. Ex girlfriends daughter rode one and had the exact same symptoms. Turned out to be the clutch switch. Sprayed with WD-40 and all has been well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bufordtpisser
    These things are notorius for having issues with the handlebar mounted clutch safety switch. Ex girlfriends daughter rode one and had the exact same symptoms. Turned out to be the clutch switch. Sprayed with WD-40 and all has been well.
    Thanks for the tip.