Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.

Thread: Baffle Removel

Settled In

Baffle Removel

Im new to this fourm. I just happened to find it and im glad i did. I just got a 2003 V-Star 1100. I love the stock look but hate the stock sound (or lack of there of) How do i take out the baffles on the stock pipes and re-jet the carb. I ordered the manual on cd from E-Bay today but fornd out i have tomarrow off and i would like to do some work on my new toy.

Blog Entries

Aftermarket.....................

Quote Originally Posted by TDH
    Im new to this fourm. I just happened to find it and im glad i did. I just got a 2003 V-Star 1100. I love the stock look but hate the stock sound (or lack of there of) How do i take out the baffles on the stock pipes and re-jet the carb. I ordered the manual on cd from E-Bay today but fornd out i have tomarrow off and i would like to do some work on my new toy.
    Aftermarket pipes are the way to go. Just removing the baffle's hardly ever gets you the results that you are after. You usually just end up with a very loud and poorly performing market. A lot of R & D goes into aftermarket pipes to ensure that the pipes are correctly tuned and sized for your cycle.

Settled In
    i understand. are there pipes that look like the stock pipes? i like to have the sleeper look aswell.

Blog Entries

I would Imagine......................

Quote Originally Posted by TDH
    i understand. are there pipes that look like the stock pipes? i like to have the sleeper look aswell.
    The stock pipes on a V Star are just basically straight pipes with baffels. Try this site for a few different V-Star custom pipes.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ca...ufacturer_ID=0

You may find , even with a re-jet that while the bike may sound louder you may lose power . The proper backpressure is essential, I'd agree look for a set of pipes that fit your need for looks and sound , V&H makes nice pipes that perform quite well

Blog Entries

Really good tip...............

Quote Originally Posted by nidan
    You may find , even with a re-jet that while the bike may sound louder you may lose power . The proper backpressure is essential, I'd agree look for a set of pipes that fit your need for looks and sound , V&H makes nice pipes that perform quite well

That is why I recommended aftermarket pipes. Reputable manufacturers spend lots of money on R & D to ensure that your bike will be better off with their pipes than with stockers. A lot of aftermarket pipes that are out there now can be used without a rejet, but it is always good practice to check the jetting anyway. Most manufacturers will tell you whether or not a rejet is in order. Look at the recognized names like Vance and Hines, Kerker, Basani, and the ones listed on the link that was in my previous post.

Try Bub Big Willy Pipes Sounds Great With Baffles , Remove Baffles And Get A Louder Sound, Get Pipes Rejetted For Best Sound If Not You Will Hear A Poping At The End.

I had a 2001 v-star 1100, when I bought it someone had already put a set of hard-krome pipes on it. It looked like a million dollars, but ran like a two horse wagon, popping, backfiring, running cold. Took me awhile, but finally figured the previous owner didn't re-jet the carb. Ordered a Max- Air kit, had a cycle shop install, it ran great, much more pick-up and a lot smoother. Give it a thought, the factory pipes just don't look that great. Hope this helps.