Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pipes too loud!

Pipes too loud!

Hey all, I've got an '04 FLSTCI that I bought used. It came with V&H Big Shots staggered. They were pretty loud, but not obnoxious. Then I did a 95" high compression upgrade, and now my bike is embarrassingly and painfully loud. Even with earplugs, my ears are ringing for hours after a 100+ mile ride. I purchased a set of the V&H "quiet" baffles - they deepened the sound a little, but didn't noticeably reduce the volume.

So, what I want are pipes that are MUCH quieter, preferably a 2-1 setup. Hate the configuration of the stock header pipes, or I'd go with SEI or SEII slip-ons. Anybody got any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Very Active Member
    Don't know how much or if any it would quieten it down but, the thunder headers do sure sound good. My dad has them on his road glide with the 95 kit and to me it does not sound to loud. But i do know that it sounds great. Everyone had their own oppinon though.

I believe in Loud Pipes Save Lives and they sound cool
    Last edited by Stonebraker; 06-15-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Very Active Member
    Amen!!!!!!!

Loud pipes may save lives, but they're making me go deaf!

I don't want absolutely silent pipes - I loved my V&Hs before I did the high compression upgrade. But now they're painful, so I've got to do something!

Very Active Member
    You definetly want to be comfortable while you are riding. After all that is the main idea.

No Such Thing As Too Loud!!!
    MAY THE WIND ALWAYS BE IN YOUR FACE!
    http://www.geocities.com/roy_boy59/shovelhead.html

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Boy
    No Such Thing As Too Loud!!!
    Wrong. Too loud is bad for so many reasons. There are only two reasons that you would want a bike that is so loud that it is painful to the ears. The first reason is because you need minimal restriction in the flow of exhaust gases for performance reasons, ie: it's a race bike. The other reason is you are an obnoxious asshole who has such a need for attention that you want everybody to know you are in the neighborhood when you drive by. The first is acceptable... the second isn't.

Loud pipes save lives. I won't argue that point... but rediculously loud pipes... pipes that are painful even to the person that is riding them is just flat out obnoxious. Riding a bike with obnoxiously loud pipes is a blight on the riding community. It is one of the reasons citizens take a negative attitude with bikers.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

Settled In

Exclamation I agree

Quote Originally Posted by bigwater
    Wrong. Too loud is bad for so many reasons. There are only two reasons that you would want a bike that is so loud that it is painful to the ears. The first reason is because you need minimal restriction in the flow of exhaust gases for performance reasons, ie: it's a race bike. The other reason is you are an obnoxious asshole who has such a need for attention that you want everybody to know you are in the neighborhood when you drive by. The first is acceptable... the second isn't.

Loud pipes save lives. I won't argue that point... but rediculously loud pipes... pipes that are painful even to the person that is riding them is just flat out obnoxious. Riding a bike with obnoxiously loud pipes is a blight on the riding community. It is one of the reasons citizens take a negative attitude with bikers.
    I agree, loud pipes DO save lives. It's always nice to be able to pull the clutch in and "burp" the bike a couple times to let someone know you're there. But there is also such a thing as TOO loud. Anytime a bike is loud enough to make your ears hurt, it's WAY too loud. It's not only obnoxious but dangerous and hazardous to your health.

I agree too

Quote Originally Posted by bigwater

It also causes John and Martha Q. Public to call and complain that their beloved Fluffy has a heart attack every time you ride by. Then Mr Municipal/State law maker makes terribly restrictive laws and bikers are pulled over and harassed more under the tenet of "public safety" because for every biker who votes there are 1,000 John and Martha's.