Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
First REAL ride
Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First REAL ride

Recognized Member

First REAL ride

I gave my Granddaughter (6 years old) her first real ride last Sun. Not much more than a mile, but the first time she has been co-rider by her self. Her other grandparents sandwich her between them, and take her for about a 3 mile ride to a restaurant. She liked it and wants to ride more. Now I have to make some spacers so her feet can reach the floor boards. Next I have to teach her how to be the navigator.

Thats great. Sounds like a great time.
    Monica 2006 Honda VTXs 1300
    * Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly *

Blog Entries

Taking kids is great................

Quote Originally Posted by squid 841
    I gave my Granddaughter (6 years old) her first real ride last Sun. Not much more than a mile, but the first time she has been co-rider by her self. Her other grandparents sandwich her between them, and take her for about a 3 mile ride to a restaurant. She liked it and wants to ride more. Now I have to make some spacers so her feet can reach the floor boards. Next I have to teach her how to be the navigator.

I have a six year old son who loves to ride. I have an Ultra Classic, so he is sandwiched between my backrest and the tourpack. My tourpack is full forward so he has even less wiggle room. I keep it that way because he falls asleep when we do some longer runs. He has been in excess of 75 mile in a single ride and he loves it. Next weekend we are doing a 160 mile trip to the beach. He is really eager to do the ride. Remember, the next generations enthusists are the children that we take riding today. Be safe.

Recognized Member
    Burfordpisser, does you son's feet reach the floorboards? I think I'm going to stack 3 2" X 4"'s with plywood caps so she can put her feet on something.

Blog Entries

No they dont..............

Quote Originally Posted by squid 841
    Burfordpisser, does you son's feet reach the floorboards? I think I'm going to stack 3 2" X 4"'s with plywood caps so she can put her feet on something.
    I have bars on top of my saddlebags and he just puts hid feet on those. If you look at my bike in my pic gallery you can see the bars on top of my bags.

Glad your granddaughter had fun!

I also have a 6 yr. old who likes to ride with dad. That is, when he wouldn't rather be playing with his friends (which isn't often lol).

He doesn't reach the floorboards, but his feet kind of dangle above or on the saddlebags (Ultra Classic) so I think he's safe that way.

Kury..... Kyr..........Kuy......damn, that aftermarket parts maker makes adjustable highway pegs for the floorboards. I bought a set for my bike and my boy was 7. His feet would reach them fine. You can find them for about $130, chrome, fold back and look nice. Bolt right to the floorboard post.

Here they are

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=2409

safty belt

My nephew's young son rode with him a lot when small ,but he fell asleep one time and almost slipped off the back,my nephew felt him shift and reached back and grabbed him,after that he made up a safty belt/harnass to put on the boy so he could not fall off. Much better to be safe than sorry and keep the young riders coming up. RIDE ON JIM

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    I've heard of people strapping kids on the bike or to themselves in the past and the thought of that scares the living hell out of me.

If the child can't stay awake and hold on for the duration of the ride, IMO, they shouldn't be riding. We shouldn't push kids past their abilities to satisfy our own agendas.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Blog Entries

Someone here on the board mentioned..................

Quote Originally Posted by FX
    I've heard of people strapping kids on the bike or to themselves in the past and the thought of that scares the living hell out of me.

If the child can't stay awake and hold on for the duration of the ride, IMO, they shouldn't be riding. We shouldn't push kids past their abilities to satisfy our own agendas.
    Someone here on the board mentioned to me once that a child falling asleep on the back of a bike could be due to motion sickness. Supposedly falling asleep is the natural reaction in a child to the motion sickness. The fact that my son falls asleep on the bike is the very reason why I bought the Ultra. I refuse to strap my child to a bike that may fall down and cause him grevious injuries. I agree with FX that we should not push our kids to limits that they are not ready for, or have them participate in activities that they do not wish to do. But my son loves to ride. He asks to go along all of the time. And I do believe that taking him along is safe on the Ultra because he cannot fall out even if he does fall asleep. I have actually had quite a few woman passengers fall asleep on the back of my bikes also. Never had anyone fall off of a bike due to falling asleep though.(Even though I wished a few of them would have) I say that if you can safely take your child along, and they want to go, take them. Usually if my son is a little tired, I will stop and get him a hot chocolate or caffeinated drink. If he is very tired, we will pull into a motel and spend the night. His safety is my only concern when we are riding. I have no schedules or agendas when he is along.