Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing a Stoppie on Your Motorcycle

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries

Doing a Stoppie on Your Motorcycle

Anyone good at doing a stoppie? Did it take alot of practice? Is it dangerous?
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

No, not me. I dont think it works but on crotch rockets and dirt bikes. It is just for show. Once the back wheel is lifted, there goes up to 40% of the stopping force. Make sure you have plenty of room before you try. My front tire just skids when I apply that much brake.
    Promote Hunanism (extra spicey)

Blog Entries
    I watched a stunt show on discovery the other night. A guy pulled off a stoppie at 137 MPH!

My motorcycle is over 8 feet long. I can't do stunts.

Stoppies are definately dangerous for the novice rider and there are many things you can do to reduce the danger. First is protect your bike and yourself if you want to try stunts. First is protect yourself, get a good full face helmet, not a half or 3/4, and full leathers WITH armour in them, some steel toed Motocross boots and leather gloves with carbon fiber knuckles wouldn't hurt either. Second is protect the bike. Frame slides and high density plastics for things like bar ends and pegs that can absorb impacts will help a lot. If you can find someone to make it a cage is worth it's weight in gold to protect your bike. Lastly if your going to practice with your street bike take the 15 minutes it takes to take the fairings and windshield off, these get expensive fast

Now for the stoppie part. I personally recommend starting on a bike that doesnt weigh 400lbs, like a dirt bike or mountain bike, and get used to 'the feeling' of balancing the bike on its front wheel. To start the stoppie get a little momentum, I'd say 5-10 mph... roughly a brisk jog, and stand on your pegs with as much of your weight on your hands and the handle bars. Stiff front shocks help here. The idea is to bottom out the shocks, or at least get them to where you can't compress them anymore, once this happens jam the front brake and keep your body forward and the leftover energy will go towards getting the rear tire off the ground. Start slow and remember to keep your weight OVER the front tire, don't get ahead of it or you'll go over the handle bars.

Once you've gotten used to bringing the rear tire off the ground its time to practice keeping it off the ground. When your riding on the front wheel rougly 85% of the weight of the bike is in the air and can pivot on those front forks. This is where skill and practice come in. Get used to using your whole body to keep the bike in line if it starts to swing. Master going straight and landing back on your rear tire before you try any turns or whips. To balance the bike all you have to use is momentum and that front brake. If you feel the rear of the bike start to fall TAP the brake, if it feels like your going too far forward let off the brake and and if you still feel like your going to far forward start to sit back down on the bike. This again is where the practice and all that protection you invested in is going to come in handy.

The biggest thing to remember is have fun. If your getting frustrated or tired take a ride and relax. Also don't be afraid of falling and be ready and stay loose when it happens, staying loose will save you from a lot of injuries. Good luck and happy riding.

Blog Entries

This stuff is not for the faint of heart..................

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonCBR
    Stoppies are definately dangerous for the novice rider and there are many things you can do to reduce the danger. First is protect your bike and yourself if you want to try stunts. First is protect yourself, get a good full face helmet, not a half or 3/4, and full leathers WITH armour in them, some steel toed Motocross boots and leather gloves with carbon fiber knuckles wouldn't hurt either. Second is protect the bike. Frame slides and high density plastics for things like bar ends and pegs that can absorb impacts will help a lot. If you can find someone to make it a cage is worth it's weight in gold to protect your bike. Lastly if your going to practice with your street bike take the 15 minutes it takes to take the fairings and windshield off, these get expensive fast

Now for the stoppie part. I personally recommend starting on a bike that doesnt weigh 400lbs, like a dirt bike or mountain bike, and get used to 'the feeling' of balancing the bike on its front wheel. To start the stoppie get a little momentum, I'd say 5-10 mph... roughly a brisk jog, and stand on your pegs with as much of your weight on your hands and the handle bars. Stiff front shocks help here. The idea is to bottom out the shocks, or at least get them to where you can't compress them anymore, once this happens jam the front brake and keep your body forward and the leftover energy will go towards getting the rear tire off the ground. Start slow and remember to keep your weight OVER the front tire, don't get ahead of it or you'll go over the handle bars.

Once you've gotten used to bringing the rear tire off the ground its time to practice keeping it off the ground. When your riding on the front wheel rougly 85% of the weight of the bike is in the air and can pivot on those front forks. This is where skill and practice come in. Get used to using your whole body to keep the bike in line if it starts to swing. Master going straight and landing back on your rear tire before you try any turns or whips. To balance the bike all you have to use is momentum and that front brake. If you feel the rear of the bike start to fall TAP the brake, if it feels like your going too far forward let off the brake and and if you still feel like your going to far forward start to sit back down on the bike. This again is where the practice and all that protection you invested in is going to come in handy.

The biggest thing to remember is have fun. If your getting frustrated or tired take a ride and relax. Also don't be afraid of falling and be ready and stay loose when it happens, staying loose will save you from a lot of injuries. Good luck and happy riding.
    The wheelies and long at speed wheelies are easy compared to stoppies. When I had my Buell, I did a few stoppies, but they were not on purpose. They were due to having to stop in a panic situation. I have to admit that it feels good to have been able to keep the bike from dropping during the inadvertant stoppie, but nothing will give you that this is gonna hurt, lump in the pants feeling than seeing the road approaching your face at highway speeds. I am just glad now that I rode dirtbikes for years and still had enough skills to keep it balance. I admire the guys that can do this stuff and make it look easy. But I'm thinking if any of you ever see my Ultra in a stoppie, call 911 because I am definately in the middle of an accident situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bufordtpisser
    The wheelies and long at speed wheelies are easy compared to stoppies. When I had my Buell, I did a few stoppies, but they were not on purpose. They were due to having to stop in a panic situation. I have to admit that it feels good to have been able to keep the bike from dropping during the inadvertant stoppie, but nothing will give you that this is gonna hurt, lump in the pants feeling than seeing the road approaching your face at highway speeds. I am just glad now that I rode dirtbikes for years and still had enough skills to keep it balance. I admire the guys that can do this stuff and make it look easy. But I'm thinking if any of you ever see my Ultra in a stoppie, call 911 because I am definately in the middle of an accident situation.
    It is easy to do a stoppie with an Ultra. We have that big flange with the fender tip light you can use as a stoppie kick stand. Roll it up and let it rest on the fender light.

Blog Entries

Never thought of it that way................

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    It is easy to do a stoppie with an Ultra. We have that big flange with the fender tip light you can use as a stoppie kick stand. Roll it up and let it rest on the fender light.
    Think that I am going to go home tonoght and try it. Now is there any particular speed that I need to achieve in order to get it to do this?? And will the extra drag from the highway bars slow me down too much? Maybe you could send me a video of you doing it first so that I can make sure that I get it right.

Blog Entries
    Can Rider Info have the exclusive on the video of you guys trying to act like professionals?

BTW, CarbonCBR, Thanks for the article. I think it makes alot of sense. I also appreciate your attention to safety being such an important issue in stunt riding.

Blog Entries

Actually.................

Quote Originally Posted by FX
    Can Rider Info have the exclusive on the video of you guys trying to act like professionals?

BTW, CarbonCBR, Thanks for the article. I think it makes alot of sense. I also appreciate your attention to safety being such an important issue in stunt riding.
    I think that Pete and I should get together and do the Dual stoppie like Tom Cruise and his nemesis did in MI1. It would look much cooler on two Ultra's than it did on sport bikes. Anybody can do it on a sport bike. But it takes real professionals to do it on Ultra's. When we do it, Rider Info gets the exclusive. We should put it in the new One Off Stupid Tricks Done By Former Members SubForum.

Bufordtpisser there isn't any particular speed you need to do a stoppie and drag from highway bars won't matter compared to the drag your feeling from being on an Ultra to begin with. Stoppies are about physics and feelings. To pop a stoppie at slow speed you have to be a little more proactive to get the rear tire up. When your standing on your pegs straighten your legs and when you jam on the brake push down on your front shocks as much as possible. I have seen a guy do a hand stand on accident he was pushing so hard. It looked cool for about a second until he flipped over the bars and his bike fell off to the side. The slowest I can stoppie at is about 5mph or walking speed but all that does is pop the rear tire up, and dead stop the bike, and then it's just a nonmoving balancing act. If you are gonna try stoppies on cruzers or any of those 600-900lb bikes I recommend a psychologist visit first. Lastly someone said something about not being able to stoppie on their bike. Unless you have one of those choppers with huge extended forks you can stoppie your bike. Any bike you can get your center of mass over the front tire on you can stoppie.

Sorry I don't have any pics or videos but I have dial up so it takes forever to upload and download that stuff. Look on the net though I know there are dozens of videos of guys doing wheelies or stoppies. Good luck and especially good luck to your Ultras.