Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biketoberfest set to begin -- with more police attention

Biketoberfest set to begin -- with more police attention

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2006
    COPS HAVE THEIR TICKET BOOKS READY FOR BIKETOBERFEST
    Biketoberfest set to begin -- with more police attention
    Ludmilla Lelis | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted October 15, 2006

DAYTONA BEACH -- Police are warning motorcycle riders to cut out the roadway antics at this year's Biketoberfest -- with good reason.
    No one wants to see a repeat of last year's death toll of five bikers killed among the tens of thousands of motorcycle riders who roared into the region.
    That means an aggressive crackdown on hazardous behavior such as burnouts, wheelies and speeding, said Daytona Beach Sgt. Craig Buth.
    "We want to make sure everyone has a safe Biketoberfest," Buth said. "And if that means issuing tickets, so be it."
    A little brother of the immensely popular springtime Bike Week, Biketoberfest rumbles into town Thursday and rides out Sunday.
    Tourism officials created the autumn event 14 years ago to attract tourists during the autumn season.
    The formula worked, especially as both biker events have grown tremendously from the original hub at Main Street to venues across Central Florida.
    Tourism officials expect up to 100,000 visitors, especially if the warm weather continues.
    "Bikers like to ride, so there will be people all over the place," said Lori Campbell-Baker, Daytona Beach Convention and Visitors Bureau. "It's becoming a more regional event and has spread out."
    Biketoberfest visitors can start that regional tour at the main Daytona venues, on Main Street, Beach Street and Mary McLeod Bethune Boulevard, then cruise up to Ormond Beach, where several biker bars on U.S. 1 and a massive Harley-Davidson dealership on Interstate 95 pull in the crowds. The Daytona International Speedway transforms its grounds into a biker haven, and even Ponce Inlet and New Smyrna Beach offer events to attract the Harley crowd.
    Several motorcycle tours also take visitors on extended rides to St. Augustine or the Ocala National Forest, and the Harley-Davidson dealerships in other cities have been vying to pull the bikers their way.
    Having venues throughout the region means that Daytona Beach has less of the gridlock it used to experience on the major arteries. But now the traffic accidents, including several of last year's fatalities, are occurring elsewhere, too.
    To help with the influx, the Florida Highway Patrol will have extra troopers assigned to many roads west of Daytona Beach, Buth said.
    "With the number of people coming, it's a challenge for law enforcement," he said. "But we have to be firm but fair, for everyone's safety."

Inside Member Rider Info Insider
    Why's everybody always pickin' on me?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky RoadKing
    Why's everybody always pickin' on me?
    You deserve it?

Quote Originally Posted by aja
    You deserve it?
    But not all the time

Wanna ride down this weekend Rick? Tell ya what... take the day off work on Friday and I'll ride down with ya... but ya gotta help me find a saddle I can sit on from here to Daytona. I'll buy it, but it has to be on the bike by Friday A.M., and it not only has to be comfortable... it has to *look good*.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

Lost Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    I went over to Daytona today. It was nice I know that it does not officially start until tomorrow. The crowds were not bad at all. I even took a ride down to the Iron Horse and even though they had county cops there it was no problem.

Blog Entries
    Tugs, you ought to head out to the Pirate's Pub with me today. They are having a free swap meet from yesterday through Saturday
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving may not be for you.

Lost Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbooe
    Tugs, you ought to head out to the Pirate's Pub with me today. They are having a free swap meet from yesterday through Saturday
    I would like to but I am going to have to pass. My wife is off today and I promised her that we would ride up to Lake Panasoffkee. Then we are heading south to our Grand Daughters First Birthday Party.

Let me know if you want to take a ride next week.

Blog Entries
    I may do that. I talked to FX's wife yesterday and she begged me to make him go riding. She said she was tired of tripping over his scooter after he put all the rebuild money into it.

Blog Entries
    Hey, I wanna see boobies at Biketoberfest.