Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Support your local Mom and Pop Stores
Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Support your local Mom and Pop Stores

  1. #1
    On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    FX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,101
    Blog Entries
    50

    Support your local Mom and Pop Stores

    Because these are the folks that make our communities work! They were here first in most cases. They WILL give you personal service. They know what they are doing first hand in most cases as opposed to the big corporate store that hires bodies.

    Case in point. I needed metric nuts for the exhaust on my FXRS today. So off I went to Ace Hardware in Wiersdale Florida. The store is just north of SR42 on 25. I got there and got what I needed. All 86 cents worth!

    Then I opened my wallet and it was empty! No Cash. I panicked. They close in 15 minutes. Not enough time to run home.

    But here's what seperated them from the big super store. The guy that waited on me, Joey, threw a buck on the counter and said, here ya go. He said, I know you want to get that motorcycle fixed today!

    This was as cool as it gets! I was so happy and embaressed at the same time. I could have used my Debit Card, but I bet it would cost them more then the cost of the sale to do that.

    If you need hardware or farm supplies near Wiersdale Florida, Check out the Ace Hardware on 25 just North of SR42. You will be well taken care of.

    For us motorheads they have two aslies of bolt and screw stock, one of the biggest selections I've seen anywhere.

    Thanks Joey!
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

  2. #2
    Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider
    thebighop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Far enuff away from cry ass to sleep soundly
    Posts
    2,520
    Blog Entries
    4
    Good post FX...we might just have to keep you around...LOL
    We just got us a new China-Mart (Wal-Mart), over in Clio, just north of Flint, Mi. It will probably end up closing the little local K-mart that's been here for years and a whole lot of the little mom and pops that dot the area.
    It used to be you'd go to K-mart then down to VG's for some brewskis and a loaf of bread...Now they can get it all from one stop at Wal-mart. Their friendly staff of faceless bodies come from Flint and surrounding areas to work, but take their paychecks back home and don't support the areas economy. Some of these little shops and stores have been here of more than fifty years, and are still in the same families.
    I like to stay away from the big box stores, and the guys at our local hardware not only know my name...they will drop an item off at my house on their way home if I call it in...it don't get no better than that....
    One big problem is when the little shops close because of the competition from the big box places...all the jobs will be taken in those big outfits , by folks from other areas, and there won't be chit left for the locals....they'll have to find work in another town or move on down the road.
    And they call that crap progress!!!!

    "IT AIN'T EASY BEING ME!"

  3. #3
    Lost jrbooe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Leesburg, Florida
    Posts
    3,491
    Blog Entries
    2
    Fx, those are some good guys at Ace in Weirsdale. I have dealt with them for years. By the way, did you use the little bolt simulator thingies to make sure you had the proper nut you blockhead?
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving may not be for you.

  4. #4
    On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    FX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,101
    Blog Entries
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbooe
    Fx, those are some good guys at Ace in Weirsdale. I have dealt with them for years. By the way, did you use the little bolt simulator thingies to make sure you had the proper nut you blockhead?
    Yes, for the first one M8 1.00. Then we got a second one and didn't check it. When I got home, it turned out to be an M8 1.25. Oh well. It was a backup. No harm done.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

  5. #5
    Lost jrbooe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Leesburg, Florida
    Posts
    3,491
    Blog Entries
    2
    Hmmm, go raise hell and demand a refund. Ha ha. Don't do that to Joey, he is a good guy.
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving may not be for you.

  6. #6
    On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    FX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,101
    Blog Entries
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbooe
    Hmmm, go raise hell and demand a refund. Ha ha. Don't do that to Joey, he is a good guy.
    I made a comment to Joey about your comments and we discussed the motorcycle and what I was doing. I did some bragging of couse. But then I said, watch, now I'll break something.

    Bam! Gotcha!
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

  7. #7
    Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider
    JFN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by thebighop
    Good post FX...we might just have to keep you around...LOL
    We just got us a new China-Mart (Wal-Mart), over in Clio, just north of Flint, Mi. It will probably end up closing the little local K-mart that's been here for years and a whole lot of the little mom and pops that dot the area.
    It used to be you'd go to K-mart then down to VG's for some brewskis and a loaf of bread...Now they can get it all from one stop at Wal-mart. Their friendly staff of faceless bodies come from Flint and surrounding areas to work, but take their paychecks back home and don't support the areas economy. Some of these little shops and stores have been here of more than fifty years, and are still in the same families.
    I like to stay away from the big box stores, and the guys at our local hardware not only know my name...they will drop an item off at my house on their way home if I call it in...it don't get no better than that....
    One big problem is when the little shops close because of the competition from the big box places...all the jobs will be taken in those big outfits , by folks from other areas, and there won't be chit left for the locals....they'll have to find work in another town or move on down the road.
    And they call that crap progress!!!!
    The business cycles are always changing. Some of us old farts remember the five and dimes,the small grocer, the local butcher shops, the local bakery where I could knock on the back door at 4:30 in the morning, after I picked up the newspapers for my paper route, and get a fresh donut.
    I also remember how excited my busy mother was when the Supermarket opened and she could get everything at one place instead of going to three different stores.
    I have a Home Depot 5 blocks from my house and a local hardware store 3 blocks from the house. The Home Depot sends customers to the local hardware store for small engine repair, glass and screen repair, etc... Business is booming at both stores because they cater to different needs. The "little shops" that are nimble and fill a need can compete quite well with the big box retailers.

  8. #8
    Lost jrbooe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Leesburg, Florida
    Posts
    3,491
    Blog Entries
    2
    I remember the days when I was a very young lad and my grandpa could send me to the local tavern to fetch a bucket of beer home for him.
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving may not be for you.

  9. #9
    Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider
    JFN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,212
    Did all the beer make it home?

  10. #10
    Lost jrbooe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Leesburg, Florida
    Posts
    3,491
    Blog Entries
    2
    There was some, err, should we say, spillage.
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving may not be for you.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •