Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.

Thread: Beginner bike for a big guy?

Recently Checked In

Beginner bike for a big guy?

I haven't ridden a motorcycle since I was about 15 (old suzuki 125 dirt bike). Alot of my co-workers ride and I've been getting the itch real bad to get a bike to commute to work on. The problem is, that I'm 6',4" and 260 lbs. Most of the bikes that I see labled as good beginner bikes are really small when I get on them. Most of my height is in my upper body which makes my dilema even worse. Does anyone want to throw a few sugestions my way? I just don't want to look like king kong on a mini bike if you know what I mean.

Blog Entries

You may want to look at................

Quote Originally Posted by mrvickery View Post
    I haven't ridden a motorcycle since I was about 15 (old suzuki 125 dirt bike). Alot of my co-workers ride and I've been getting the itch real bad to get a bike to commute to work on. The problem is, that I'm 6',4" and 260 lbs. Most of the bikes that I see labled as good beginner bikes are really small when I get on them. Most of my height is in my upper body which makes my dilema even worse. Does anyone want to throw a few sugestions my way? I just don't want to look like king kong on a mini bike if you know what I mean.
    You may want to look at the Suzuki Intruders. The 800 version is a good bike, and you should be able to fit yourself on it very easily.

Inside Member Rider Info Insider
    For big guys if you want to go the Harley route, the FLs are probably your best bet (Touring models such as RoadKings and Electraglides, or Fat Boys, Heritages). I'm 6' and I still went w/ extended controls and different handle bars on my RK; you fix 'em how you want 'em. They may not be the best starters (because they are big bikes), but if you survive you'll appreciate the advice .

There are some decent buys around on sportsters , if you want to get a HD.
    "I don't ride in loafers and shorts, and I don't pay nobody to work on my bike."

Take my word for it, at 6'4" you don't want to be riding a sportster. I've got a buddy up in Pittsburgh who loans me his 1200 when I go up there to visit, and I feel like my knees are in my chest when I'm riding it. I'm 6'4" also, and I have to semi-agree with Ricky RoadKing on the Harley assesment. I ride a FatBoy, and the stock floorboards were really to confining for my legs. I put Kuryaken extended forward controls on it. It's just right for me now. I wouldn't suggest any softail without consideration of legroom.

Oh, have I ever mentioned that softails aren't soft?
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

The term "beginners bike" is really meaningless. 6-4 and 260 (say- you wouldn't be the Governor of Kalifornia would you?) I would think one of those Boss Hoss's might be in order.

Anyway, you find a compromise between what you can afford and what you feel comfortable on and that's your beginners bike. I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you recall having a "beginners car?"

Try a V-Rod.....any model with forward controls. Mid controls might be uncomfortable for a tall person.

I picked one up for my son (6' 1" 190#) who had never ridden before. He was a bit skeptical but found, as I did, that the V-Rod is balanced well with a low seating position. Most importantly, the V-Rod has an extremely broad power band. Throttle response (but not power) is sluggish below 4000 rpm which makes it manageable for a beginner. In 2nd gear you can ride anywhere from 25 mph to 50 mph....which helps a beginner around town,less shifting. Above 5000 rpm (9000 redline) it will keep up most anything you need to keep up with. These qualities make it ideal for sensible (it is, after all, a powerful engine that could get you in trouble should you choose) new rider who doesn't want to buy a bigger bike in a couple of months.

Choke

bike

honda shadows 1100/1300 are great bikes and affordable. if you start on a smaller bike. 3 months from now you will be selling it for a bigger one. look on cycletrader. good luck and wish you the best.

Sportsters are stubby for tall people, I'm 6/4 as well...bad fit. Shortster is a better name. I have an '82 FXE with forward controls, etc., feels about right. Aftermarket seat helps too.
    "I don't ride in loafers and shorts, and I don't pay nobody to work on my bike."