Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
All I want for Christmas is....
Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All I want for Christmas is....

Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider
    Far enuff away from cry ass to sleep soundly
    Blog Entries

All I want for Christmas is....

I don't know about any of you..but I have about had my fill of the commercial, "Gimme, Gimme, Gimmie, I Want , I Want" side of Christmas...
    So I thought I'd start a thread to voice opinions about this overly commercial, unnecessarily greedy and self centered time of the year, that used to be a time of good cheer and giving...a time I fondly remember as...CHRISTmas.

When I was a youngin'...Christmas was a time when we recieved things from family and friends, that they wanted us to have...
    There were no long lists, except those sent to or given to Santa, demanding the latest "HOT" toy or game....no demands for Nikes...of course back then PF Flyers and plain old Converse was all the premium "gym" shoes that were available...we called them sneakers back then.
    There was no going to extreme lengths to find a talking Elmo or X-Box, or multiple trips to an assortment of malls to search for the elusive "in" thing that your kids just had to have or they'd be the laughing stock of the entire state...
    It's absolutely maddening to go to any store...even the feed store to get bird food...because the crowds are just so crazy. People fighting over parking spaces outside, and fighting over a designer t-shirt inside. Grown folks acting like 5 year olds...anyone relating to any of this?
    For me...it's about giving ...anonymously.
    I don't buy gifts for my family any more. My folks are 84 & 83...they have everything they could possibly need,,, so what's the point...unless it's something I want to end up with, and then I can just go get me one and save the wrapping paper. My daughter is 27 and sure there's plenty she needs, but my way helps her understand that there are others that have greater needs.
    I give my wife everything she wants and needs all year, so again...what's the point.
    What I do , and have been doing for several years is pick a few families that local churches or help organizations, list as being in need....Then I arrange to have a full course turkey dinner delivered to their homes, along with some simple gifts of needed items like socks, gloves, hats etc.
    It doesn't cost me half as much as it used to cost buying gifts for the family and friends, and I get so much more satisfaction out of it, knowing I helped a fellow human being that isn't a fortunate as I am. They benefit from knowing that someone cared and I remain anonymous so I am able to do this for some else next time.
    My desire is that someday, if they are ever able, the folks I help, might return the favor by passing that on and helping someone in need as they once were.
    I draw my inspiration from a letter similar to the following that has been floating around on the internet for years....

THE GREATEST GIFT OF ALL

It's just a small, white envelope stuck among the branches of our
    Christmas tree. No name, no identification, no inscription. It has
    peeked through the branches of our tree for the past 10 years or so. It all began because my husband Mike hated Christmas---oh, not the true meaning of Christmas, but the commercial aspects of it overspending ...
    the frantic running around at the last minute to get a tie for Uncle
    Harry and the dusting powder for Grandma---the gifts given in
    desperation because you couldn't think of anything else.

Knowing he felt this way, I decided one year to bypass the usual shirts,
    sweaters, ties and so forth. I reached for something special just for
    Mike. The inspiration came in an unusual way. Our son Kevin, who was 12
    that year, was wrestling at the junior level at the school he attended;
    and shortly before Christmas, there was a non-league match against a
    team sponsored by an inner-city church, mostly black. These youngsters,
    dressed in sneakers so ragged that shoestrings seemed to be the only
    thing holding them together, presented a sharp contrast to our boys in
    their spiffy blue and gold uniforms and sparkling new wrestling shoes.

As the match began, I was alarmed to see that the other team was
    wrestling without headgear, a kind of light helmet designed to protect a
    wrestler's ears. It was a luxury the ragtag team obviously could not
    afford. Well, we ended up walloping them. We took every weight class.
    And as each of their boys got up from the mat, he swaggered around in
    his tatters with false bravado, a kind of street pride that couldn't
    acknowledge defeat.

Mike, seated beside me, shook his head sadly, "I wish just one of them
    could have won," he said. "They have a lot of potential, but losing like
    this could take the heart right out of them." Mike loved kids --- all
    kids --- and he knew them, having coached little league football,
    baseball and lacrosse. That's when the idea for his present came. That
    afternoon, I went to a local sporting goods store and bought an
    assortment of wrestling headgear and shoes and sent them anonymously to
    the inner-city church.

On Christmas Eve, I placed the envelope on the tree, the note inside
    telling Mike what I had done and that this was his gift from me. His
    smile was the brightest thing about Christmas that year and in
    succeeding years. For each Christmas, I followed the tradition --- one
    year sending a group of mentally handicapped youngsters, to a hockey
    game, another year a check to a pair of elderly brothers whose home had
    burned to the ground the week before Christmas, and on and on.

The envelope became the highlight of our Christmas. It was always the
    last thing opened on Christmas morning and our children, ignoring their
    new toys, would stand with wide-eyed anticipation as their dad lifted
    the envelope from the tree to reveal its contents. As the children grew,
    the toys gave way to more practical presents, but the envelope never
    lost its allure.

The story doesn't end there. You see, we lost Mike last year due to
    dreaded cancer. When Christmas rolled around, I was still so wrapped in
    grief that I barely got the tree up. But Christmas Eve found me placing
    an envelope on the tree, and in the morning, it was joined by three
    more. Each of our children, unbeknownst to the others, had placed an
    envelope on the tree for their dad.

The tradition has grown and someday will expand even further with our
    grandchildren standing around the tree with wide-eyed anticipation
    watching as their fathers take down the envelope. Mike's spirit, like
    the Christmas spirit, will always be with us.

May we all remember Christ, who is the reason for the season, and the
    true Christmas spirit this year and always. God bless---pass this along
    to your friends and loved ones.

-- Author Unknown

I know this was quite a long post, but I hope it inspires you to do something in kind to move beyond the commercial, "Gimme Gimme Gimme, of the season and maybe return to the true meaning of CHRISTmas...
    Your opinions and thoughts are welcome....which I am sure you'll gladly share.

"IT AIN'T EASY BEING ME!"

Esteemed Member Rider Info Insider
    "BRAVO" "HOP...Christmas has gotten totally out of control.I notice each year Christmas decorations start coming out earlier each year,for instance this year they were out before Halloween.I remember when I was a child that stuff did'nt come out until the day after Thanksgiving!! I agree with you,it is better to give than receive!!!!! Merry CHRISTmas..and Happy New Year....
    Ride it like you stole it!!!

AS usual you are right on HOP

This christmas thing has gotten way out of control,all business nothing else.Time for a change backward to the day's of old

Christmas, like other holidays and some personal activities, has become a time of acceptable, excessive overindulgence...maybe it's an effort to gain happiness or whatever. We have generally lost the ability to enjoy the simple side of life...
    "I don't ride in loafers and shorts, and I don't pay nobody to work on my bike."

Blog Entries

Not at my house....................

I stopped celebrating Christmas about 10 years ago. I decided after seeing one too many kid make their parents feel bad about the gifts that they received that it was time to put an end to this nonsense once and for all. I refuse all invitations to Christmas parties and get togethers, I refuse to participate in office Christmas activities, and I refuse to bow to all of this commercial blackmail that is passed off as a celebration of a religious holiday. This is only the second year out of the last six that my six year old son has even remotely mentioned Christmas. I get him a few little presents to open on Christmas day and then the rest of the year I spoil the hell out of him. He never asks to put up a tree or to decorate the house because he has grown up being taught that those things are just symbols of excess that are used to take money out of the pockets of the poor to line the pockets of the rich. If he decides that he would like to celebrate Christmas, that will be his decision, but even at six years old, he respects my decision not to celebrate it.

The one thing that I am getting tired of is the responses of others at my decision not to celebrate Christmas. First the religious questions, are you Jewish, or Jehova's witness, and then the snide scrooge remarks. I did not decide not to celebrate for any other reason than the over commercialization and bad attitudes of people who did not get what they wanted. Why is it so hard for people to believe that someone genuinely does not want to celebrate this holiday and does not want to be a part of their celebration??

My relatives have finally accepted the fact that I go through life to the beat of my own drummer, why can't others. I never question anybody's beliefs or traditions, why do they question mine?? And the comments about my ruining my sons life because we do not celebrate Christmas are just getting old. He wants for nothing in his life.

Inside Member Rider Info Insider
    Aw shit, at least have some eggnog!

Hey BUF,Last time I checked,this was suppose to be a "FREE COUNTRY",if other people want to condemn you for the way you wish to celebrate Christmas...to hell with them...I'ts your chioce...celebrate it the way you wish,and more power to you!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bufordtpisser View Post
    I stopped celebrating Christmas about 10 years ago. I decided after seeing one too many kid make their parents feel bad about the gifts that they received that it was time to put an end to this nonsense once and for all. I refuse all invitations to Christmas parties and get togethers, I refuse to participate in office Christmas activities, and I refuse to bow to all of this commercial blackmail that is passed off as a celebration of a religious holiday. This is only the second year out of the last six that my six year old son has even remotely mentioned Christmas. I get him a few little presents to open on Christmas day and then the rest of the year I spoil the hell out of him. He never asks to put up a tree or to decorate the house because he has grown up being taught that those things are just symbols of excess that are used to take money out of the pockets of the poor to line the pockets of the rich. If he decides that he would like to celebrate Christmas, that will be his decision, but even at six years old, he respects my decision not to celebrate it.

The one thing that I am getting tired of is the responses of others at my decision not to celebrate Christmas. First the religious questions, are you Jewish, or Jehova's witness, and then the snide scrooge remarks. I did not decide not to celebrate for any other reason than the over commercialization and bad attitudes of people who did not get what they wanted. Why is it so hard for people to believe that someone genuinely does not want to celebrate this holiday and does not want to be a part of their celebration??

My relatives have finally accepted the fact that I go through life to the beat of my own drummer, why can't others. I never question anybody's beliefs or traditions, why do they question mine?? And the comments about my ruining my sons life because we do not celebrate Christmas are just getting old. He wants for nothing in his life.

Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider
    Far enuff away from cry ass to sleep soundly
    Blog Entries
    First....Buf, I applaude you for being your own man, and sticking with your convictions....I admire that in even the least of us.

I am sure by your comments that you feel very much the same as I do with respect to what others think of what we may say, think, or do...
    I give a rats pituty about what others think of me...to the extent that I don't even think it's any of my business what others think of me...that's their opinion, and I have my opinion about them....

I get a kick out of comments like those you point out about your religious affiliations...I know several Jews and Muslims that get into the Christmas spirit and exchange gifts and go to the parties and all....so personal religious choices don't even fit into what is considered the "Holidays" anymore...It's all about excess and consumption anymore...and I am sick to death with it....

In general, most people don't even understand what Christmas is anyway, and Buf, you have a better handle on it than most anyone I have ever known...
    It's about love and caring , and you exhibit that with your son year around, better than most do even at Christmas.

And what's up with the pathetic behavior many kids display when they don't get exactly what they want? They literally through fits...
    I got stuff when I was a kid ,that I thought was dumb and useless, but I don't ever recall showing any dissapointment on Christmas morning...just part of a good up bringing I s'pose. I always thanked everyone for the gifts and had a ball playing with all the new stuff....even the dumb and useless stuff. I was a kid, that's what a kid is s'posed to do...

And the real kicker is.....How many of you know that Christ wasn't even born on Dec 25th? That's just a date that coincides with a pagan holiday and the church adopted the date as a means to squash the pagan celebrations...

And finally...Aley...I don't think Buf is celebrating...Period.

"IT AIN'T EASY BEING ME!"

Hey HOP!! Buf is celebrating in his own way,and I respect that!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebighop View Post
    First....Buf, I applaude you for being your own man, and sticking with your convictions....I admire that in even the least of us.

I am sure by your comments that you feel very much the same as I do with respect to what others think of what we may say, think, or do...
    I give a rats pituty about what others think of me...to the extent that I don't even think it's any of my business what others think of me...that's their opinion, and I have my opinion about them....

I get a kick out of comments like those you point out about your religious affiliations...I know several Jews and Muslims that get into the Christmas spirit and exchange gifts and go to the parties and all....so personal religious choices don't even fit into what is considered the "Holidays" anymore...It's all about excess and consumption anymore...and I am sick to death with it....

In general, most people don't even understand what Christmas is anyway, and Buf, you have a better handle on it than most anyone I have ever known...
    It's about love and caring , and you exhibit that with your son year around, better than most do even at Christmas.

And what's up with the pathetic behavior many kids display when they don't get exactly what they want? They literally through fits...
    I got stuff when I was a kid ,that I thought was dumb and useless, but I don't ever recall showing any dissapointment on Christmas morning...just part of a good up bringing I s'pose. I always thanked everyone for the gifts and had a ball playing with all the new stuff....even the dumb and useless stuff. I was a kid, that's what a kid is s'posed to do...

And the real kicker is.....How many of you know that Christ wasn't even born on Dec 25th? That's just a date that coincides with a pagan holiday and the church adopted the date as a means to squash the pagan celebrations...

And finally...Aley...I don't think Buf is celebrating...Period.

Stand by your beliefs BUF. Just because a person don't run with the herd all the time DON'T make them wrong. I too dare to be my own person most of the time and if you like me than that is your problem,that is the way I see things. Good job Buf