Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Heated Gear
Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heated Gear

Very Active Member

Heated Gear

I've ben holding off, holding off, holding off, but my fingers and hands are paying the price. Are those heated gloves worth the money. I mean it's like going to IKEA (no offense intended) You wanna buy a pair of gloves., but you can't just buy the gloves, you have to pick up a control unit (separate) and do you want an on off switch with that? What's the deal! I just want my hands to stop hurting from the cold! Oh and you have to check the bike's alternator output rating or else you may not get the heat you wanted... Is there an easy method to this. Are the gloves worth it? Is Gerbing the best? Will my Fatboy run the darn things properly?

Thanks for the responses in advance. I haven't been here in a long time. Not doing much riding lately. I've had and still am having some back issues... Keep the rubber side down...

Carmine
    We only go around once, so I chose to ride...

Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Carminemw View Post
    I've ben holding off, holding off, holding off, but my fingers and hands are paying the price. Are those heated gloves worth the money. I mean it's like going to IKEA (no offense intended) You wanna buy a pair of gloves., but you can't just buy the gloves, you have to pick up a control unit (separate) and do you want an on off switch with that? What's the deal! I just want my hands to stop hurting from the cold! Oh and you have to check the bike's alternator output rating or else you may not get the heat you wanted... Is there an easy method to this. Are the gloves worth it? Is Gerbing the best? Will my Fatboy run the darn things properly?

Thanks for the responses in advance. I haven't been here in a long time. Not doing much riding lately. I've had and still am having some back issues... Keep the rubber side down...

Carmine
    Welcome back Carmine,
    I'm not that familiar with the gloves but the heated vests work great. My brother in law and his wife both use the vests and there was no power problem on ether their Roadking or Ultra.

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    One of our members, Squid, uses the gloves and swears by um. But I don't know what brand he uses.

Try the logos on the left for reputable dealers with support lines.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Inside Member Rider Info Insider
    I've also been thinking about getting some of the heated gloves (and socks)*; any advice folks can offer is appreciated.

*please save the old fart comments!

Hi Carminemw

The alternator output is a real concern. My 82 CB900C has only 288Watts output. On a Goldwing, the motor has to be pulled to repair the alternator. The bigest problem is that there is no current limit on motorcycle voltage regulators - rectifier. What keeps the alternator from self destructing is the main fuse. The Main fuse is the first and bigest amperage value on the bike. Past that is all the other fuses for lights, horn, ignition, ect. That is where I would wire in an auxiliry fuse for your gloves. Watts(288) = Volts(14.1) X Amps My motorcycle will make 20.42 Amps and it has four 15 Amp fuses. I'm not using all the accessories all the time. I would like to get some LED angel eyes to be able to shut off the 5 Ampre headlight.
    Promote Hunanism (extra spicey)

Far enuff away from cry ass to sleep soundly
    Blog Entries
    Hey Carminemw...
    If ya don't mind advice from someone up here in the Artic...
    Check this site out. They have battery operated gloves....
    http://www.realshopping.co.uk/acatal..._Garments.html
    A buddy of mine uses them and he says they work great. They are self contained and you don't need any extra crap installed on the bike to use them...
    Last edited by thebighop; 02-25-2007 at 12:58 PM.

"IT AIN'T EASY BEING ME!"

Very Active Member
    I don't mind being called the old man. It usually means more experience. Heck today is my birthday. And at 51, I probably ride more in a year than most do for the life of their bike. And you know what? I don't care who you are. When you're poundin' down the road at 65mph and the temperature is about 38°, IT'S COLD! I just wanna ride and not have my hands hurt along the way. My old fart experience really pays off by being prepared and warm enough to go the distance!

Glad to have the info on the Road King. Its the closest model to my own bike. The dressers always have extras to help compensate for all the gizmos and guages...thanks again all...
    We only go around once, so I chose to ride...

Blog Entries

the best thing to do as im doing soon is move south,nc,,i buy a lot of my cold weather gear at the ski shop,,cheapper then harley,,

Blog Entries
    I do the same HD....
    Only check China-Mart and a few of the bigger retaiers, even Home Depot, for good warm gloves and insulated bibs and such...
    I caught a great deal on Carharts last fall, and got insulated bibs and coat(black) at 55% off....They are great for some late and early season riding up here in Michigan...
    If I ever get in the position to leave, I plan to move to Myrtle Beach. I can't leave here until my obligations cease...