Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Helmet safety - law
Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmet safety - law

Blog Entries

Helmet safety - law

The many years I have ridden I have always chosen to wear a helmet. I am in full support of those who choose not too. Sometimes, and on rare occassions, I may take a very short spin without a helmet. Today I almost chose to do just that but at the last moment I walked back into the house and grabbed my peanut helmet. 5 Miles down the road a very youn, inexperienced, and very stoned 17 year old girl blew the red light at the intersection I was about to go through. I had not gone into the intersection yet and she actually veered right towards me. Subsequently, she did this all in the view of a Lake County deputy. I had to drop the bike, no damage to me or the bike, thank goodness. It just reminded me of why I choose to wear a helmet.
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving may not be for you.

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    Once again, motorcycle awareness for car drivers seems to be the answer.

However, we have to teach people to drive properly to begin with too.

Glad to hear you dodged a cage successfully and safely.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

rick miller
    As we all know you have to look out for the other guy. M ost of the time it is not our fault. We learn to watch, look and listen to what is around us this is what saves us most of the time. Good looking out for the other guy jrbooe ride safe

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Rick. I have to admit that here of late, I have seen my share of idiots on bikes. Part of that is due to our local Harley Dealer's "if you have a down payment, anyone can ride" policy. Once again, however, there has been a rash of young turks on crotch rockets that act like they have no mortality issues.
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving may not be for you.

In the 100F heat, even a peanut helmet is hot. On the interstate, the 70MPH wind is hot, there is no cooling from the wind at 95F and up. My helmet gets soaked from perspiration, it is a 3/4 helmet.

There were two killed nearby recently, one without a helmet, one with. Speed and no rider class.

...Claxton was headed southbound on Lower River Road and was approaching Watson Lane about 3 a.m. when he lost control of the motorcycle and left the road, said Officer Phil Russell, spokesman for Metro Police.

He was traveling at a high rate of speed, Russell said.

Claxton died of multiple blunt force injuries, Robinson said.

This is the second motorcycle death of the weekend.

Another motorcyclist was killed after he crashed into a tow truck on Blevins Gap Road yesterday morning. Dustin McNutt, 19, was wearing a helmet, police said.
    Promote Hunanism (extra spicey)

Lost Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    jr, I'm glad that you are OK. I hope that the Deputy hit that kid with every charge in the book.

I also wear my helmet every time that I ride. Now granted it is the smallest and most light weight DOT helmet that I could find but it is (in my opinion) better then nothing. This is my choice to ride with a lid but I fully support that every rider should have the right to choose, as long as they follow the law and carry the insurance needed.

I have a right to ride without a helmet. I have a right to smoke in public. I have a right to wear my pants halfway down my butt. I have a right to tell you to kiss off. I have a right to carry my gun in public. I have a right to, I have a right to, I have a right to. When does the I have a right to stop and common sense kick in?

I have a right to not welcome you to the forum, but I will anyway.

Welcome to Rick Miller too.
    Promote Hunanism (extra spicey)

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GRB View Post
    I have a right to ride without a helmet. I have a right to smoke in public. I have a right to wear my pants halfway down my butt. I have a right to tell you to kiss off. I have a right to carry my gun in public. I have a right to, I have a right to, I have a right to. When does the I have a right to stop and common sense kick in?
    Amen! While we are so busy asserting our rights, we have abdicated responsibility.

I have the right to lower taxes. I have the right not to have to pay for your head injury after your mere $20,000.00 of insurance is used up.

An ER bill for a head injury can be $100,000.00 or more. A stay for a serious head injury in the hospital can cost Millions of tax dollars.

Then if you die there is your family on social services perhaps.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider
    Far enuff away from cry ass to sleep soundly
    Blog Entries
    Glad yer OK JR...Good looking out.

Too many Cracker Jacks drivers licenses on the road is one of the larger problems....
    When I got licensed...we had to take a semester of drivers training at our high school...
    The school I attended had a real drivers training course, with a street layout, signals and signs and the whole enchilada. We trained there while the teacher monitored our progress from a tower, much like a flight tower.....We didn't get out in real traffic until we had mastered the course. If you didn't make at least 90% on the course and tests...you didn't go outside the training course and re-took the whole drivers training class.
    Now days, kids are taught through private driving schools, and they are ran by people concerned about profit, and not safety...
    In Mich, we have a graduated scale of license...at 16 a kid can drive during daylight hours, and at night with an adult DESIGNATED by their parents or guardian . At 17 they can drive until midnight, without supervision, and at 18 become fully licensed.
    That doesn't make them qualified expert drivers...but it does tone down the wrecklessness that many younger drivers seem destined to pick up.

"IT AIN'T EASY BEING ME!"