Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Street Racing Accident Scene in Orlando Florida

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries

Street Racing Accident Scene in Orlando Florida

US DOT Motorcyclists Endangered Species PosterTwo guys motorcycle racing at 100MPH plus through a school zone with pedestrians present. One t-bones a jeep and is near death, the other rides on leaving his injured buddy behind.

Check out the tach in the picture, it's stuck on 14K.

This is the kinda stuff those that would put restrictions on motorcyclists through law love to use as evidence as to why we need to be legislated.

We need more education and limits put on new motorcycle riders perhaps so they can develop skills before jumping on 200HP machines. Yes? But many riders are unlicensed. You don't need a motorcycle license to buy a motorcycle. Can you say loop hole?

Bottom line is you can't legislate common sense either. If someone is stupid, well, that's pretty much how they stay it appears these days.

How do you control ego? Will education be enough?

It may be that those who would need to know are going to go to an extreme to curb the deaths and injuries by putting more restrictions than necessary on motorcycle riders to get instant gratification in the statistics by way of lowered injury and death numbers. Such statistic changes could result in better funding from the feds to local cities for transportation needs. The money motivates them more than the need to keep motorcyclists safe I'd bet. So it appears unlikely any legislation would be biker friendly.

If extreme change happens, history tells us that it is much harder to modify or revoke an existing law than it is to create new laws. So we must watch this closely and be prepared to contact legislators and tell them what is a useful motorcycle law and what would be a draconian motorcycle law.

If we ignore it, we may wind up legislated to the garage. This goes way beyond the helmet issue. This will affect every aspect of how we ride, not just whether we will be wearing a helmet or not.

We need to make sure the sport of motorcycling remains open to new riders. But new riders need to be educated as to their responsibilities. New riders need to be licensed at the least. Perhaps needing a license to buy a motorcycle could be the answer to that problem?

We also need to prevent existing experienced responsible motorcycle riders from being unfairly penalized for the actions of other drivers who do not ride responsibly lest we lose our existing privileges.

Important Contacts:

Get involved and ride safe.
    Last edited by FX; 11-29-2007 at 03:37 PM.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Blog Entries
    Good post FX. Just look at the mentality of the kid that kept going. We live in a society of fearless teens who will do anything to get a quick thrill. Unfortunately it is always the law abiding citizens who will always pay the price for those that just don't give two shits about anything except themselves.

Very Active Member
    Part of the problem is they don't even care about themselves. That's even scarier..

Lost Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    I just can not believe the statement that this (for a lack of a better term) kid said to the reporter. "I guess I would have had to light a candle" Not only did his friend almost die, and might still, but he does not even show any remorse.

These dealerships have to stop selling any bikes to anyone that does not have a Motorcycle License. I know that just having a license does not make you a good or smart rider but it is a start.
    A friend will bail you out of jail, but a good friend will be sitting beside you saying "Man, that was fun!

Blog Entries
    Maybe we should also push for the insurance companies to not issue policies to these race bike wanna bes. I know in PA, you cannot buy a bike or get tags for it without insurance. The insurance industry and the public at large are very happy to rag on those that ride without a helmet, why are they not having a public outcry governmental hearings on this issue?? This is one area where I would not mind government intervention.

Blog Entries
    It is sad, I see those race bike wannabe's go down the highway by my house every day, passing everything in sight without giving thought to the fact there might be oncoming traffic. I agree that the dealers should not be able to sell those bikes to a minor who has not completed the rider safety course and has already gotten his or her endorsement.
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving may not be for you.

Settled In

Exclamation

No Way! What about those riders that HAVE to purchase a bike to LEARN to drive one!?!? Those that don't have a friend's bike to learn on?

The answer would be, if you DON'T have a license, then you apply for a permit. You can buy a bike with a permit, but you have 6o days to get enough to get your license. That way it puts incentive AND a time limit on a new rider to get their shit together.

Thats my nickel's worth anyway/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aj22ms View Post
    No Way! What about those riders that HAVE to purchase a bike to LEARN to drive one!?!? Those that don't have a friend's bike to learn on?

The answer would be, if you DON'T have a license, then you apply for a permit. You can buy a bike with a permit, but you have 6o days to get enough to get your license. That way it puts incentive AND a time limit on a new rider to get their shit together.

Thats my nickel's worth anyway/
    I partially agree. However, Rider safety courses, in Florida, at least, provide bikes for those who want to take the course to ride. Beginning in 2008 the Rider Safety course will be mandatory in Florida before getting an endorsement. Hell, I have seen some people have a difficult time trying to buy a car, i.e. a birthday present for a grandchild, because they don't have a license. Personally, with the experience I have seen from some of the young Turks riding the crotch rockets around here, I still think an endorsement should be required before buying from a dealer. I guarantee you there are many riders locally that have been riding without their endorsement or proper training period.

Blog Entries
    I wasn't saying that you should be licensed to buy a bike. Permitted yes. Permission from parents if under 18 years old, yes. Limited in size of bike that you can buy. Definitely. If you pass a safety course, then the size of the bike should go up. Pass the advanced course, then your bike should be your choice. If you don't take the courses, then limit the size of the bike to the years of experience tied to actual bike ownership. That would stop those guys who had a license years back and have not ridden in 20 years from wrapping themselves around a tree trying to prove their manhood or while going through a mid life crisis.

Blog Entries
    Buf, we have that problem here with the large crop of senior citizens who remember riding a trail 70 40 years ago and now think they want to ride again and go with an Ultra or a Goldwing.