Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hospitality industry rip offs

Blog Entries

Hospitality industry rip offs

I find it rather amusing and timely since Tugs and I were actually just sitting down talking about the same thing over a cold beer a couple of days ago.
    When I am out and about, one thing I can never be accused of is being a bad tipper. Maybe the fact that I used to own a bar has some sort of bearing on it.
    My girlfriend one 20 free passes to an Orlando area comedy club which is based in a local attraction which will remain nameless (Universal Studios Orlando City Walk) and had a great time listening to the comedians on stage. However, the service was terrible. After waiting over 15 minutes before a waitress, of course I didn't wait, I walked over to one of the bars and got some drinks, my girlfriend was getting frustrated so I waived a host down to get some service. After the initial drink order was made with the waitress it took over 15 minutes for our party to get served. By that time I had already made two additional trips to the bar. I was paying cash at the bar. After an hour I finally had to wave a hostess down in order to get a menu. I made a few more trips to the bar and after about 30 minutes the food was served. While all this was happening my girlfriends daughter and her friend stepped outside to smoke and were promptly chased down by a hostess who then proceeded to accuse them of trying to skip out on their tab. This was their second trip outside. When the bill came around I prepared to pay it and proceeded to get totally pissed off. I guess whenever the waitress walked by she saw my drinks and assumed someone else was serving them to me and marked them down on the final bill. I had been paying cash at the bar. As I looked at the total on the bill I went ballistic. One thing I did, however, was to keep my anger inside, which is something I am not prone to do. Extra drinks and call brands were on the tab. I was ordering well drinks for Tanya not call brands. But the thing that pissed me off worse was "18% gratuity included on bill" I immediately called for a manager and told him I was not paying for the additional gratuity as their service totally sucked and I had already been paying nice gratuities to the bartender who was "actually" serving me. I asked the manager how 5 Budweisers and 5 Coors Lights were included on my bill as I was drinking gin and tonic all night and Tanya was drinking some sort of floofy vodka drink all night. The manager asked me how he could make it better I told him to fire their servers would be a great start, then to correct the bill by taking the gratuity off and the drinks which someone padded the bill off. He actually did it Places like this must assume that their general tourist base does not pay attention to their tabs when it is time to settle out. My point is I am not going to be told what I am going to tip when I am out. I then proceeded to go to Margaritaville and Pat O'Brians and get totally numb. 4 Hurricanes and several more gin and tonics later, I was good to go for the rest of the evening.
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving may not be for you.

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    Free tickets. ROFLMFAO!
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Blog Entries
    Free tickets as in we didn't have to pay admission to City Jazz. Then of course because I complained enough to the manager about the bill we got passes so we did not have to pay cover charges in the rest of the clubs there.

Jr, I think nobody can accuse people who work in the hospitality industry as servers of being the sharpest tacks in the box. Chances are it was lack of attention to detail more than somebody trying to intentionally screw you.

It happened to me a couple of nights ago at the bar I frequent regularly. There was about six of us there, all with our individual tabs, and we had been drinking and eating all night long. As the evening was getting close to winding down, one of the guys who was in a particularly generous mood told the bartender to put all of us on his tab. He got a gigantic tab... six people's worth of food and drink for several hours. He paid it and walked out.

Two beers later it was time for me to leave. I asked for my tab, and it was $60! I was like whoa, hold on here buddy. He proceeded to show me all the items I had had all night long, and I tried to remind him that my buddy had paid for all of that stuff a half an hour before. He got a look of confusion on his face and just shrugged his shoulders. It was obvious that he just didn't understand what I was trying to tell him.

The owner is a good friend of mine, and I just decided to take it up with him later. Paid the tab, and walked out. I know Johnny will make it right, so there was no need for me to pop a vein over it... but the point is that the server was just plain not paying attention. Didn't bother to clear the tabs that the guy picked up for everybody, so the bar got paid twice that night. I just told all the guys to hang onto their receipts and called the guy who paid the tab originally and asked him to hang onto his receipt so I could show the boss what happened.

Generally your server is not going to be a college graduate.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

Blog Entries
    I'm sick and tired of people making excuses for incompetent people.

The reality here is the servers are morons and the owner is a moron for hiring them and allowing it.

I don't have the patience you have. I want my satisfaction on the front end when I'm paying. Not on the back end after having to complain and waste my time. Not to mention that my attitude would be ruined for the night when the incident occurred.

Blog Entries
    BW, i believe that you are giving that guy way too much credit. I know a lot of local bartenders, and they would screw their own mother if it meant more money in their pocket. I hope that is not the case in your particular situation, but going from past experiences, he more than likely knew all along that the other guy paid the tab, and was hoping that the rest of you were drunk enough to pay again. How much extra total would that put in his pocket for the night. I have some friends who own a local bar, and they had to put in a system that will not allow them to not have a bill to apply a tab to.

Well under different circumstances I might agree with you... but if this bar was Cheers, I'd be Norm and the bartender would be the stupid bartender played by Woody Harrelson. I'm in there every day. I'm one of their best customers. Why would they intentionally try to screw one of their best customers?

And Greg, it's obvious you've never ran a restaurant or bar if you call the owner a moron for hiring these people. "These people" are the only people that will take the work. Face it, when you're paying $2.15 an hour plus tips you don't have a huge pool of intelligence to choose from. I struggled for 3 years to run a restaurant and finally had to shut it down for one reason... inability to find and keep good help.

And yes... if this had been any other place than where it occurred I would have taken it out on the front end.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear that it was just an honest mistake. I thought that they were just a figment of overactive imaginations. (LOL) I know that sometimes mistakes happen. Did you ever wonder why though that is seems as though low life uneducated hospitality type workers always seem to make the best con artists?? If they could just use those skills for good. But at least they only get a few people at a time. Unlike Skilling and his bunch at Enron. Educated criminals like to do a one time big score and live off of the investments and interest. Low life cons like to take from people that are in the same boat as they are.

Blog Entries
    BW, I owned a bar many years ago and had similar instances as you described a couple of times and those employees were promptly released from service as it was obvious they were trying to screw the customer. My bartenders and barmaids did not make the hospitality minimum w2age, I paid them standard minimum wage at teh time and they did not split their tips, they kept them so my help was paid pretty well. My main issue was the fact that you truly cannot trust your help when you run a business like that as I am sure you found running a restaurant. Basically the point of this thread was lost. Why should a person be "coerced" into paying a built in gratuity? Actually the gratuity they built in screwed the servers as I usually always tip at least 25%, not the 18% they charged. The service sucked, I forced the issue and actually one on this one at the restaurant.

Blog Entries
    I dunno. I guess I just expect what I pay for. I don't want excuses. PERIOD. I don't have any sympathy for these bar and restaurant owners that can pull up in a different high end car every day, go out on the boat on weekends and so forth and so on. But their staff drive beaters, if they have a car at all, and can hardly feed the kids.

As for tipping, I'm generous enough. usually 20 to 25 %. But that is for good service. If the service sucks, I may give the place a second try based on it could be the server, not the overall establishment. But rarely do I try again.

Bottom line, we get what we pay for. And we pay, not the owners of the restaurants, but they get to choose for us who we pay.

I'm ranting. I'm sick and tired of people making excuses for the poor American worker. We have opportunities and if we don't take advantage of them, there shouldn't be a crutch.