Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.

Thread: Big bore Xl1200

Big bore Xl1200

Im thinking of installing an Axtel 1450cc kit in my 06 Sportster.Has anybody done this,its a large project,I'm looking for some input thanks.

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    Is it top end work only or do you have to get into the cases? I'll venture into top end work, but always have a backup plan in place if I get in too deep. I'd take it to a qualified tech if I needed bottom end work though likely.

Got a link to the kit parts?

Welcome to the forum.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

No, it's more than just top end work. You have to split the cases because they need to be bored to be able to insert the 3 13/16 inch jugs. What you wind up with is a pretty much square engine.

You can read a great deal about big bore Sportsters at NRHS http://www.nrhsperformance.com/ekitsportster.shtml

Lots of goodies from these folks. I've kicked the idea around a couple of times too. You can read some more from the tech section at sportster.org site

Blog Entries
    I know two people who have done Axtel kits, and both have had issues. From base gasket sealing issues to pulled cylinder bolts. One kit failure was blamed on poor machining, the other was blamed on the kit. I know that Axtel is a well respected name in Big Bore kits though.

This kit requires the engine to be disassembled and the cases to be bored

boringxl.jpg

Check the (motorcycle) grave yards and insurance auctions. Basket case engines can be had and made good. Build your engine up adjunct. Ride your sportster every day until you put the big bore engine in and ride it some more. Get yourself the Harley Davidson shop manual and off brand like Clymers. Read them until you can spot their mistakes.
    Promote Hunanism (extra spicey)

Thanks everyone.I do know that I have to bore the cases,and I do ride my XL every day(63,000 Kms/23months).

Let me throw out one more suggestion, lately I've been giving more and more consideration to NRHS's 1250 kit, using their heads, ignition and cams. From many articles I've read you can pull a bunch of horse power and torque by some cams and head work.

This kit, as I understand, does not require anything more than top end replacement. This may be a better bang for the buck for a street bike.