Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Florida Motorcycle Laws Go into Effect

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries

New Florida Motorcycle Laws Go into Effect

Caution On Wednesday October 1, 2008 It will become illegal to do a wheelie on a motorcycle in Florida on the road and the fine will be just over $100.00 if you get caught.

A new law regarding motorcycle license plates (tags) goes into effect too. The new law requires that a motorcycle tag be centered on the bike, be at least 24 inches above the ground and be displayed so the numbers and the letters can be read from left to right. It cannot be hidden or sideways.

Another motor vehicle law speeding went into effect today in Florida which will get you a $1000.00 fine if caught doing 50 miles per hour over the speed limit on the first offense. The second offense is a $2500.00 fine and your drivers license will be revoked for a year. A third offense is a $5000.00 fine and 10 years drivers license revocation.

Be careful out there!
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

rick miller
    I saw this on the NEWS. Its a unfair LAW, what about the cars & trucks that are doing over 50???? I guess again its only the bikers they have on their minds, its seems to me that Ive heard more on the street racers in good old Fl then about the bikes. Whats next??? You guys that have all them CUSTOM BIKES cant ride any more, there gos lots of money down the drain. Next it will be you cant leave your house without calling the cops to look at your bike. or maybe we will have to file a trip plan to go anywhere.

Blog Entries
    The law about speeding will affect all vehicles, it just got instated today with the other two about motorcycles.

Oddly enough, it used to be a $250.00 fine for 30MPH over the speed limit. Strange change it appears.

I thought the $250/30 over still applied and the 50 over was just added? Did they revoke it?

Also, fines DOUBLE if the 50 over speeding occurs in a school or construction zone, and while the first two times you're caught at 50 over will cost you out the a$$, they will be misdemeanors. The third 50 over will be a felony.

I learn so much from reading the daily motorcycle news RSS feeds you pull each morning FX. Keep up the good work.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

Blog Entries
    What I read was not clear in the 30/50mph over issue. But what you said makes sense.

Inside Member Rider Info Insider

I think they are nit picking over the plate issue, but on the other two . . . they pretty much just translate into "don't be an asshole" or you are going to be putting out some big bucks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aja View Post
    I think they are nit picking over the plate issue, but on the other two
    Not at all. The crotch rockets with the plate under the seat can be bent up and hidden too easily. It's a probable cause issue. If we can't see your plate, you're likely up to no good.

But I didn't think we needed a new law for that.

Soon they will embed rfid to overcome the vision issues.

Thank the few for ruining it for the many.

rick miller
    Thanks for telling the 50 plus is to all, but you guys out there with CUSTOM BIKES your in for a costly change on your bikes. Alot of bikes out there have tags on the axles, and to put a center mount plate-light in the middle of your hot paint-custom fender, well Im glad I have a BAGGER.

I think what Aja was alluding to a couple of posts up was the same reports I've read that the cops aren't going to be ticketing people right away for the tag issue... it's going to be more of an "educational" stop to inform them of the law and give them a chance to correct it prior to ticketing. It will have to be corrected eventually however, and you're right, it's gonna fuck up some awfully nice paint jobs out there.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

Inside Member Rider Info Insider
    yeh, educational stops.
    Oh I used to be disgusted
    and now I try to be amused.