Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Signals or Turn Signals?

Hand Signals or Turn Signals?

When I started riding most bikes did not have turn signals, maybe none, I don't remember that.

I remeber when they started putting them on, and were thinking about making it a law. The magazine articles all said about the same thing.
    Turn signals on a bike are not a good thing, car drivers had hard enough time 'being aware' of the motorcycle, let alone a little light right next to the taillight.
    Hand signals were nearly impossible to miss.
    When you stuck your arm out, that got the attention of other drivers.

I believed it then, I believe it now. I'm glad I have the turn signals for those rare occasions when they are better than hand signals, but 90% of the time I use hand signals, once in a while both. Turns at stop signs a good example.

Hand signals are more noticable, and that makes me safer.
    I'm glad I have a choice, feel bad for those people who do not choose hand signals.

Both. Always. The only exception is if I'm in a precarious situation where I need to keep both hands on the bars, in which case only the blinkers will be used. 100% of the time I use turn signals... 99.9% of the time my intentions are backed up with arm signals.

The handiest addition to bikes ever made was automatic turn signal cancelling circuitry that turns the blinkers off once you rev the engine back up or the engine turns over so many times. Back in the old days there's no telling how many times I'd look down to notice my turn signal still flashing 5 miles after the last turn I made.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    I agree that we get noticed more when we use a hand signal.

I don't agree that the size of the signal is an excuse for another driver to say they didn't see us. Your post reads like a defense attorneys opening statement.

Are you an attorney? Are you a lobbyist? What is your agenda? These PSAs are getting suspicious now.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Quote Originally Posted by FX View Post
    I agree that we get noticed more when we use a hand signal.

I don't agree that the size of the signal is an excuse for another driver to say they didn't see us. Your post reads like a defense attorneys opening statement.

Are you an attorney? Are you a lobbyist? What is your agenda? These PSAs are getting suspicious now.
    I suppose that is addressed to me.
    When you are run over by a cage, excuses don't matter much.
    I do not care what their 'excuse' is, I just want to be seen.

Blog Entries
    You are avoiding my questions, again.

What is your agenda with your public service messages?

Are you an attorney? Are you a lobbyist?

At this point I have to assume you're someone who's ass was kicked in court using these arguments and now you're on the internet trying to validate yourself, and failing, because the arguments are poorly thought out and presented.

That's ok too. But before we go any further with support or what maybe ignoring you, I'd like to know what it's about. There's a point to you being here and it's not friendship or casual conversation.

What's your deal?

he just likes to stir the pot.

and i think hand signals are stupid. maybe they ARE more noticeable, but i really hate to ever take my hands off the grips. especially in the middle of a turn. this would make me less safe. i have one bike with very unreliable signals, and i'll use hand signals when riding it. but in that situation, i usually feel safer to NOT signal, than to take my hand off the grip. remember, that hand controls the clutch! maybe it's just the dirt biker inside of me, but i hate having my hand away from that clutch. i also hate foot-pegs and highway bars for the same reason. i like my feet close to the brake and shifter, where they belong. but i guess that is a topic for another thread.

so behernow insists that not wearing a helmet makes you safer, and he likes to take his hand off the grip in the middle of a turn... i wonder if he rides in shorts and flip-flops as well, and insists that the extra sensory perception they provide prevents more accidents? or if next he will be arguing for us to not wear gloves or glasses? or maybe we should ride with flat tires, because it will prevent blowouts?
    Harley Davidson - The most efficient way to convert gasoline to noise, without the side effect of horsepower.

Blog Entries
    It's supposed to be the passengers job. I don't have signals and usually hand signal.

i hate passengers as well.
    Harley Davidson - The most efficient way to convert gasoline to noise, without the side effect of horsepower.

LOL... It's funny you should mention passengers. I was following a bike into town today while driving in my truck. The guy/girl driving the bike had a passenger on the back and they were in a "discussion" obviously. I couldn't tell if they were going to make a left turn, right turn, slow down, or stop, the way arms were flinging around. I just backed off about 10 car lengths away and laughed at the antics. I wanted to catch them at a stop and tell them what a hazard they were making out of themselves, but they sped on past my stop so I didn't get the chance.

I only have one passenger, and she knows to keep her arms around my waist when we're riding. My arm signals are intentional, and very much in advance of my moves. I won't go into a turn with my hand off the bar, but I will let you know in advance before that turn is coming up that the turn is going to happen.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

even if i DID have a passenger, she wouldn't be able to hear all this "conversation" through my full face helmet and her full face helmet, which i would require she wear. bike riding isn't for chatting. and as far as i'm concerned, it should be done alone.