Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on 97 EVO

Question on 97 EVO

I've been having trouble with my carb lately. It just doesn't want to fire the fuel and the battery dang near goes dead before I can get it cranked. Once I get her cranked she runs fine... but it's a real chore. It's a 97 Fatboy EVO

What I thought about was maybe replacing the carb system with a fuel injection system. I'm pretty sure I'm smart enough to do this, but I'm wondering if anybody has ever done it on an an EVO. I can't figure out where to mount the electronics for the EFI on the bike without strapping it to the handlebars.

I'm also wondering if I'm putting my engine at risk by going from carbo to efi. Lots of things to consider. I don't want to rebuild the engine from the ground up, I just want it to crank easy and run smooth. So far, it runs smooth, but cranking is the bane of my existence at this point. I'm glad it's not a kick start.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    I have had that problem from a couple of reasons. Bad intake gaskets and a bad voes vacuum hose. I have a 1991 EVO. She's cold blooded to begin with, but once the starts are difficult with the enrichener on, there's usually a problem. After these issues the plugs were usually wet fouled too. Hope there are some ideas for ya.

As for EFI, the sensors and computer should deliver the right mix.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Thanks Greg, but that doesn't really answer my question. Can I convert my EVO to EFI and where do I mount the electronics if I do?

Blog Entries
    Oh I assumed you had a particular unit in mind with a brain and hardware included. The problem I would think right off would be the O2 sensor in the pipes. I never looked at anything EFI as an add on option.

Had a guy offer me a S&S Super G carb a few months back in exchange for a sign for his motorcycle business. I agreed to the deal, but he never got back to me on it. I guess it was overstock and he sold it before we got the deal done.

Blog Entries
    One of them carbs, the E or G doesn't have an accelerator pump IIRC. I would just shake my head when guys had to kick start bikes using ether or something similar.

Hmmm... may be fouled plugs. I haven't checked that. I've got a brand new set of HD plugs for my bike that a friend gave me as a Christmas present a couple of years back. Maybe I'll install them this weekend and see if it makes a difference. Good conversation all the way around though.

Glad to hear your opinion on the S&S carbs. Makes me sort of shiver on my decision to take the deal. I had asked him if he was going to install it for me, and he said "nope". It was going to be up to me to install and tune it myself. Just a strait trade out. Sign for the carb, and neither one of us doing the install for the other.

Blog Entries
    Unless the carb bore and jetting are for a motor and trans setup like yours, it could have been an upgrade. But IMO, it probably would have turned into a project bigger then expected with re-jetting and stuff. I cringe at how some folks use the words "bolt on". Most hear S&S and think wow, I better grab it. But there are many details to consider.

Yeah, I understand. I'm a pretty good shade tree mechanic and have run into the trials and tribulations of supposedly simple stuff like bolting on parts, but I gave up working on bikes the day I turned the switch on a fresh build on a monster v-twin top fuel motor I had built from the ground up and it blew up instantly. Slight error in the installation of the cam shaft and I blew every valve, valve seat, and damaged the head. That was the day I quit building engines.

I had already figured I'd have to pay somebody to install it and tune it for me. I'm not about to blow up my daily rider. I'm scared to turn a wrench on a bike after that big block blew up on me. I don't even adjust my clutch plates myself anymore. About the only thing I'm not afraid to do myself is change my fluids.

Blog Entries
    Musta been a bad day. I can feel the disappointment. I do my best. When I get in trouble I step back and wait until I get a few suggestions from some of the old skool riders in the area. So far so good. But all this modern stuff is nothing like what I know.