Riderinfo.com, connecting bikers, runs and bands.
Your online exchange for run and band info. Keep in touch with all your riding friends online at RI.
Riders of all motorcycle makes and models welcome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: local memorial ride (terrible!)

Angry local memorial ride (terrible!)

I went on a local memorial ride last weekend and is it me or are people confused? I mean it was to remeber some friends and couple of them died in a drinking related event. Now we meet in a bar, all the stops are in bars and as I sit there drinking a dew I wait to get the ride started and they are doing shots allready
    I like to drink and I like to ride my scoot, but come on people there is a limit. right?? What is your view on this??

On the Farm Rider Info Insider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iron-eater
    I went on a local memorial ride last weekend and is it me or are people confused? I mean it was to remeber some friends and couple of them died in a drinking related event. Now we meet in a bar, all the stops are in bars and as I sit there drinking a dew I wait to get the ride started and they are doing shots allready
    I like to drink and I like to ride my scoot, but come on people there is a limit. right?? What is your view on this??
    It's nuts and I'm guilty of it too! In fact I crashed doing it. Go figure. We all seem to ride bar to bar and before ya know it ya had a bunch to drink, never mind shots. In our group I can't hang with the drinkers, it just gets me in trouble. But self disciplain is my problem to work on.
    "What does it mean to you? For me, it's something I just do."

Very Active Member
    I think you got it right. A lesson was presented, but it seems only you got it. It has to be each to his own though. I would draw the line at any close or formation riding with someone who is impaired. It's one thing to make a poor choice and splatter yourself on the cement and another to take someone else with you who did nothing wrong. So don't let yourself get pressured into doing something that isn't worth it in the long run. You were right to just drink pop.

Very Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iron-eater
    In 2003, according to the NHTSA,36% of mororcyclists involved in fatal accidents had a blood alcohol content(BAC) over .01%(only a beer or 2), with 29% over .08 BAC, the legal limit in all states.

Operating a motorcycle requires mental sharpness and the physical ability to process information and send an appropriate response to our muscles in the form of quick action.

Alcohol slows our reaction time, reducing our ability to respond to hazards.

Alcohol in any amount can reduce our judgement and visual capabilities, limiting our ability to shift visual focus from objects in the distance to those directly in front of us.

Alcohol, more than any other single factor, can rob you of your ability to ride safely and think clearly-even after just one drink.(1 beer, 1 shot, or 1 glass of wine.

(I copied the above from the summer of '05 issue of the H-D Enthusiast magazine. It's about time H-D adresses the problem.)

The biking community, alas, seems to be more and more oriented towards drinking and riding. Heck, some people even call their bikes "barhoppers". Sad.

My view is we don't drink ANY alcohol during our rides and we don't ride with people that do. It's like playing Russian Roulette or, if you're a sky-diver, getting impaired, then packing your parachute. Motorcycling is, in and of itself, way enough fun to be enjoyable without booze on the ride.

I think Ya did the right thing, myself. If Ya ride safe, I think there's a much better chance you'll ride long.
    Bob

Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider
    Unfortunately, I can't think of an organized ride that we haven't started and ended at a bar.
    My wife and I rode the Flood Run on Saturday and on the first two stops we split a beer. One guy we were riding with didn't have a license because of 3 DWIs, and was drinking, and another friend was pounding double Captain and Cokes all day. I don't really know why most people need to get buzzed to enjoy riding.

I know why JFN, and I have to prelude this rant with a disclaimer that I don't approve of drinking and driving, whether in a cage or on a bike. But:

Personally, I am a very uptight individual. I ride very stiff and almost "scared" when I'm totally sober. Put a beer, or a shot in me, and my lines become smoother, my leans less drastic and my overall control of the bike more comfortable. I talked in another thread about not being comfortable on my Sunday breakfast ride yesterday. I honestly think it was because I had to much coffee and my nerves were on edge.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that drinking makes me a better rider... not at all. I wouldn't dream of getting on a race bike with even a sip under my belt, but on the road I feel smoother in the curves and more relaxed with my motions rather than stiff and uptight if I've had a beer or two. Motorcycle riding is scary business, and for me, a beer calms the jitters.

I used to ride shitfaced all the time. If I could crawl to the bike, I could ride it. I don't do it anymore. After a bud came by and picked my bike up off of my sorry blacked out ass when I dropped it in my parking lot trying to park it, I gave up drinking and riding as a serious hobby, but I'll still have a beer or two for nerve control.

It's bad, I don't deny it, but honestly, I can't ride military formation *without* a beer in me, because my nerves just won't handle it. Riding side by side two feet apart at 50 MPH on windy twisty mountain roads is something that my straight uptight personality just can't comprehend. After a beer or two, it seems natural.

Like I said, I'm not claiming alcohol makes me a better rider, but it does relax me enough to get over my natural inclination to think that there is something just wrong about being stuck out on a stick of metal with nothing to protect me from that car heading at me at a 100 MPH closing speed (both of us doing 50 mph each in opposite directions) on a narrow strip of asphalt.
    Never twist the throttle with your ego

Permanent Fixture Rider Info Insider
    We were out for about 10 hours on Sat. and I think I had 5 beers. At 235 pounds I'm not to worried about 1 beer every 2 hours but man, some of the other guys I was worried about. We stopped at 4 bars and 1 of the guys had at least 2 doubles at each bar. He got his bike and license 2 years ago so he was the least experienced in the group.
    His wife is actually the most experienced rider and never batted an eye about how much he was drinking so I just gave him a wide berth on the road.

Very Active Member Rider Info Insider

Sorry to say, but the bar to bar thing seems to be part of the biker culture. I get it, but I don't get it at the same time. I don't ride if I've had more than one beer. I sure wouldn't after several shots. But it seems to be the macho thing, and no one seems to try and stop it. We tend to do the DQ to DQ ride, but man the pounds can add up in a summer. But I won't ride with a group of drinkers, let me know where the destination is, and I'll meet them there. Ride hard, smart, and live for the next ride.

Bluesjammer

Very Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFN
    Unfortunately, I can't think of an organized ride that we haven't started and ended at a bar.
    My wife and I rode the Flood Run on Saturday and on the first two stops we split a beer. One guy we were riding with didn't have a license because of 3 DWIs, and was drinking, and another friend was pounding double Captain and Cokes all day. I don't really know why most people need to get buzzed to enjoy riding.
    It's getting to be an epidemic. My office manager's brother just started biking a year ago, on a brand new Dyna. Just laid it down a few weeks ago. Didn't get hurt, but messed up the bike pretty good. He was leaving his 6th barroom and didn't make the turn from the parking lot to the road. He said it wasn't from the drinking.

It's a shame that, as you said, most organized rides center around bars. I don't get it either, although I sure ain't lily-white. I drank and rode for about the first 10 years of riding, but the last 25 have been with no booze. We did stop for boiled crawfish once and I had an O'Doul's. They don't taste too bad.

Very Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesjammer
    Sorry to say, but the bar to bar thing seems to be part of the biker culture. I get it, but I don't get it at the same time. I don't ride if I've had more than one beer. I sure wouldn't after several shots. But it seems to be the macho thing, and no one seems to try and stop it. We tend to do the DQ to DQ ride, but man the pounds can add up in a summer. But I won't ride with a group of drinkers, let me know where the destination is, and I'll meet them there. Ride hard, smart, and live for the next ride.

Bluesjammer
    I agree.
    Bob