PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie requesting info

DustyDan
09-29-2005, 08:15 PM
After a decade of looking in from the outside, I'm finally doing something about my two-wheel jones. I'm not riding yet, but a new rider training course is in the planning and I'm gathering opinions on a good bike to get.
I've always been drawn to the sport side of things, so at least a 600cc is in order. I'm a little over 6', about 185 lbs. After talking to some friends who ride I've come to understand there are some (big?) differences in the service requirements of different manufacturers (valve adjustments, etc). Between the major manufacturers (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha), is there one that stands out as being the best for reliability? What about a product line to stay away from? Seems like a great site. Thanks for the info.

Vstar man
10-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Welcome....Hard to say which is better, I've had all four Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and have had great luck with all. I would go to your local dealers and question the hell out of them. Winter is a slow time for dealers so they are more able and willing to chat you up. Come Spring go for the one that scratches your itch.....Good Luck Kevin

JFN
10-01-2005, 08:58 PM
:welcome:
I've had Honda's, Indians,Hodaka's and a few Harleys.
I've had good luck with all of them, except the motor I blew up on the 1957 Indian :)
VStar had good advice. Check with some dealers, take some test drives and see which one you fall in love with.

nidan
10-05-2005, 05:00 AM
These days the "big 4 " all produce quality stuff, it boils down to ergonomics and aesthetics. I 've owned Honda , BMW and 2 Harley's no complaints with any as long as they are serviced regularly. Of the Jap sport bikes I prefer Honda and Yamaha

HDRules
10-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Best advice has been given already... get on a few, test them out, and go with what you feel most comfortable with and get that feeling

FX
10-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Don't get caught up in CC meaning big or small. Get a bike that fits and ride within your ability. A 650cc jap bike can hurt you as well as a 1340cc Harley.

nidan
10-10-2005, 09:56 AM
FX has a GREAT point , actually I think a lot of 600 sport bikes can hurt you way worse than a big twin. They accelerate Very quick and have very quick steering , great attributes for a knowledgeable rider , and potential disaster for those that aren't.

I find Harley's to be fairly forgiving , stable bikes. Yes they are dinosaurs, but lovable ones.