PDA

View Full Version : My first battle scars

Kim
04-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Ok, first a little background....

Went riding on Sunday with hubby and son. This was only my 2nd real ride on my permit. I did really well for most of the ride. It was sunny and in the 50s. The last part of the ride, we stopped at a park to let my son play a bit. At that point I was starting to get a little cold and tired. So...

We pull into the parking lot and I forgot the kickstand. Down we go (me and bike). I scraped up my knee, but no real harm done. See Exhibit A.

We stayed at the park for about a half hour. We get ready to leave. I'm just getting going and I stall the bike. I couldn't maintain control and down I go again. Actually I didn't notice the bruise on my arm until this morning. The only thing I can figure is I hit the parking "curb" on my way down the second time. See Exhibit B.

Well, chalk it up to being a newbie. Good lessons learned.

Exhibit A:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26/Kissyfur08/knee.jpg

Exhibit B:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26/Kissyfur08/Bruise.jpg

FX
04-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Ouch, that's some bruise! Hang tough and don't rush yourself. A little fall like that will make matters worse if you let it get to you. But now you have that out of the way.

Glad you're ok. :)

Kim
04-10-2006, 08:14 PM
You're right. I didn't and won't let it get to me. Even tho it wasn't really funny, I did laugh at the time. Actually it was a relief in a way. I was expecting stuff like that to happen eventually. I look at it as a good learning experience and a confidence builder.

bufordtpisser
04-10-2006, 08:32 PM
It's like the first dent in a new car. Now that it is there, you can get on with the business of driving the car. The lessons learned by making little mistakes are what keeps us from making catastrophic big mistakes. And I bet that you pride hurt more than your arm and your leg. Good luck with the learning, take it easy, and learn at your pace.

aja
04-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Kim,

You had to see my bruises when I dropped the bike TWICE during my safety course. (I had never been a bike by myself before. It wasn't pretty.) But I learned something from each drop.

Hope your boo boos heal quickly!!!

JFN
04-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Glad your hanging in there Kim, I have to admit I've hit the curb myself. :blush:

immortalbitch
04-10-2006, 09:14 PM
i've had some serious road rash and had to have gravel picked out of my butt!! glad you didn't do the same. just take it easy!! you will heal quick!!!

bufordtpisser
04-10-2006, 09:33 PM
i've had some serious road rash and had to have gravel picked out of my butt!! glad you didn't do the same. just take it easy!! you will heal quick!!!

And I heard that it even happened once when she was actually riding a bike.
(sorry couldn't resist, I have read some of your other posts.)

aja
04-10-2006, 09:38 PM
And I heard that it even happened once when she was actually riding a bike.
(sorry couldn't resist, I have read some of your other posts.)

I'm sitting here laughing my ass off. You are a brave man, bufordtpisser.

bufordtpisser
04-10-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm sitting here laughing my ass off. You are a brave man, bufordtpisser.

I ducked when I hit Submit. But then there is the whole submission thing too.

Please tell me when it is safe to come back out.

tat
04-11-2006, 04:58 PM
We have all been there done that. No biggy. Just get back up and keep riding

Dgrason
04-12-2006, 04:00 PM
We have all been there done that. No biggy. Just get back up and keep riding

Yup! I was going to say that no matter what boo boo you do, someone - somewhere has done if before. Especially that kick stand thing. In fact, on one episode of Chopper Buildoff, Billy Lane did the very same thing. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT HE WOULD DO THAT?

One time, when I was riding my old Honda 750 (it was new then) I pulled into a 7/11 and there were 4 of the nicest looking babes sitting outside drinking Slurpees. They were all gazing at me and smiling at me and I was so wrapped up in looking cool that I forgot to put the kickstand DOWN. Oh yeah, that was ego boosting.