PDA

View Full Version : Which Bike??

pbk
05-13-2006, 12:38 AM
I hate shopping at the best of times but buying a bike is proving some what difficult.
I am looking for a second hand cruiser type bike and have looked at several and I have 2 to choose from at this stage. Not knowing much about this type of bike I can't decide which bike is best. So I need help.

Am looking at a Kawasaki VN800, 2003, 29000km - has saddle bags, screen and sissy bar is very good condition. Had a ride and it is loud and seems to vibrate a lot. Rides well and look great.

The other is a Honda VT750 Classic, 2003, 12,000km in as new condition. Bike has no modifications - straight out of the box. Rides typically like a Honda and runs very smooth.

I am not too concerned about the 'km" on the VN800 or the $$ as they both cost about the same, but I am concerned about the vibration - I think is from the exhaust or are the VN's like this.

My problem is I like them both (no I can't have both) and I don't know which bike is regarded as a better bike.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with either one of these bikes with information of good or bad.

Thanks

corneo
05-13-2006, 02:50 AM
That's your call but here is the blue book to help you out on prices.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.tp?kbb.FL;;FL103;&33707;rc&&zrc;Motorcycles

Tugs
05-13-2006, 06:49 AM
pbk, Welcome to the Forum. I have never rode either of these Motorcycles but I check them out on-line. You mentioned a vibration with the Kawasaki. I noticed that it has a rubber mounter engine. I know that my FLTICI Harley is rubber mounted also. When the bike is idling the engine moves around a lot. When buddy rode it for the first time he hated it. His Heritage is not rubber mounted. He has changed his opinion after riding it more. It might vibrate at idle but it is smooth when riding.
Hope this helps.
Ride Safe,
Tugs

1Scorpion
05-13-2006, 08:53 AM
I've been told the fuel mileage on the Honda is only around 30 mpg . But there both good choices.

FX
05-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Despite the gas crunch, I have always thought that factoring gas milage into a motrocycle purchase was stupid. You either want the bike or not. It's like yeah, let me pay out the ass for this motorcycle, but I want the one that is a dollar cheaper to ride a day. Yeah, stupid.

Get a vespa if milage is why you ride.

[/end rant] :D

bufordtpisser
05-13-2006, 09:42 PM
pbk, Welcome to the Forum. I have never rode either of these Motorcycles but I check them out on-line. You mentioned a vibration with the Kawasaki. I noticed that it has a rubber mounter engine. I know that my FLTICI Harley is rubber mounted also. When the bike is idling the engine moves around a lot. When buddy rode it for the first time he hated it. His Heritage is not rubber mounted. He has changed his opinion after riding it more. It might vibrate at idle but it is smooth when riding.
Hope this helps.
Ride Safe,
Tugs

When telling a lady, our Harleys don't vibrate, they throb.

Tugs
05-13-2006, 10:30 PM
When telling a lady, our Harleys don't vibrate, they throb.
Sorry for the lapse:bonk: . It was just the engineer in me